Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 28 Jan 21, 04:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Mobile Car insurance- do you add hire car cover as well as a courtesy car?

Currently insured with Quote me happy and they include a standard courtesy car but give the option to add hire car. Is this something most people add? Not sure how it works and whether it's just for if our car was stolen or written off? I don't think I've added it before but we're due to get a new car soon and wasn't sure if I should maybe add it.
Old 28 Jan 21, 05:12 PM  
Link to this Post
400ixl
Imagineer

Most policies where a courtesy car is offered the terms state that you must use their repairer and the car is if available and not guaranteed (or of a like for like size). And you may not get one if it is clearly going to be a write off.

The hire car option guarantees a car and in some cases a like for like size. It would only be for the period of repair or up until a settlement paid for a write off.

Its like everything, you are insuring a risk. If you had an accident and your car was either off to be repaired or a settlement negotiated, would you be absolutely stuck without a vehicle for that period. Say for example you had to get to work and had no other way of getting there (not other family car etc) or needed to support a family member. In that case it may be worth it.

If however it would just cause some inconvenience then personally I wouldn't (and don't). We have more than 1 car in the family and would work around it if a courtesy car was not available.
400ixl is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 05:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by 400ixl View Post
Most policies where a courtesy car is offered the terms state that you must use their repairer and the car is if available and not guaranteed (or of a like for like size). And you may not get one if it is clearly going to be a write off.

The hire car option guarantees a car and in some cases a like for like size. It would only be for the period of repair or up until a settlement paid for a write off.

Its like everything, you are insuring a risk. If you had an accident and your car was either off to be repaired or a settlement negotiated, would you be absolutely stuck without a vehicle for that period. Say for example you had to get to work and had no other way of getting there (not other family car etc) or needed to support a family member. In that case it may be worth it.

If however it would just cause some inconvenience then personally I wouldn't (and don't). We have more than 1 car in the family and would work around it if a courtesy car was not available.
Thanks. We do only have 1 car at the moment although DH has a motorbike so in most weather he could still get to work.

This is the wording. It seems to imply that the hire car would be supplied by their approved repairer so think it may still mean you have to use their repairers? Also not sure about car size as it refers to the size of a courtesy car not hire car.

Old 28 Jan 21, 06:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
I've never added on that option. Mind you, I've not had to claim on my insurance, erm, ever.

One difference is that some insurers only provide a courtesy car if your car is being repaired whereas the hire car option also covers you if the car is a write-off or stolen.

In the rare case that I do have to claim,and the courtesy car isn't sufficient or not provided, and I can't use my wife's or daughter's car, then I'd just pay for a hire car or use a taxi.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 06:32 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

I was insured with quote me happy when my car was written off, I only had standard courtesy car cover and they were going to provide me with a hire car, then they settled the same day so I didnt get the benefit of any vehicle.

In my case if I had upgraded I would have got no added benefit.
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jan 21, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
I've never added on that option. Mind you, I've not had to claim on my insurance, erm, ever.

One difference is that some insurers only provide a courtesy car if your car is being repaired whereas the hire car option also covers you if the car is a write-off or stolen.

In the rare case that I do have to claim,and the courtesy car isn't sufficient or not provided, and I can't use my wife's or daughter's car, then I'd just pay for a hire car or use a taxi.
Thanks. Think that has been our thinking before as we had 2 cars. Just didn't know whether I should now we only have 1 car. It wasn't much to add think it was about £24.
Old 28 Jan 21, 07:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by emmabanana View Post
I was insured with quote me happy when my car was written off, I only had standard courtesy car cover and they were going to provide me with a hire car, then they settled the same day so I didnt get the benefit of any vehicle.

In my case if I had upgraded I would have got no added benefit.
Good to know they settled quickly.
Old 29 Jan 21, 12:32 PM  
Link to this Post
emmabanana
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Orlando 2004 View Post
Good to know they settled quickly.
I was really impressed by them and was with them for about 5 years, I only left this year as they were no longer that good a price for my car.
emmabanana is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jan 21, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
Orlando 2004
Imagineer

Orlando 2004's Reviews
Mobile

Originally Posted by emmabanana View Post
I was really impressed by them and was with them for about 5 years, I only left this year as they were no longer that good a price for my car.
That's good to know. I've been with them a few times and like you I've even renewed as they were competitive with their renewal price and its easy to make any changes online with no admin fees.