Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 20, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Travel insurance and high blood pressure

Has anyone here been diagnosed with high blood pressure?

I am in the process of buying travel insurance for our trip. I disclosed that I have high blood pressure and received a quote. However, I noticed in the policy document that it says:

"We will not pay any directly related claims if at the time of taking out this insurance you have EVER been diagnosed with or treated for High Blood Pressure."

So if I have any health issues while abroad which the insurance company deems to be directly related to my high blood pressure, they will not cover the medical costs. Is this correct?

Even their expensive gold cover includes this clause. Is it typical for insurance companies to pass on the risk to the customer for conditions like this?
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:26 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

You need to ring them and ask what their price is with cover for the condition included.

A lot of quotes come through initially as the lowest possible - but of course any pre-existing conditions are excluded from cover - some people are happy to travel like that (not me!). Expect a 30% hike in price.
WhereIBelong is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We've declared high blood pressure for years (along with other serious PEMCs) and it's never been excluded.

Just double-checked our current Staysure Comprehensive policy and it's an accepted risk. We have been able to say "two medications which have never increased" for years though. Have you had your meds increased recently?

Don't know if it adds to the premium though as we've always declared.

Mick
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:39 AM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Thanks, I will take a look at Staysure.
AnnieB is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:42 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by AnnieB View Post
Thanks, I will take a look at Staysure.
We have to pay a high yearly premium mainly because of our age and the other PEMCs but they have good cover. Unlimited medical costs and no excesses on any item.

I've tested the market every year since 2009 and they or Boots Platinum have been best for us recently.

Mick
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:48 AM  
Link to this Post
kiwiinabd
Very Serious Dibber

I use Nationwide travel insurance from my Flexaccount, there was no extra premium for high blood pressure when declared it and they never said anything about change in cover.
kiwiinabd is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:53 AM  
Link to this Post
DonnyDuck
Serious Dibber

All Clear Travel are really good for pre-existing conditions
DonnyDuck is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 12:05 PM  
Link to this Post
thefergies
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I would not say such an exclusion is standard so shop around. But insurers are entitled to assess the risk before deciding whether or not to offer medical cover and if at normal or increased premium. To do that, people wanting cover need to tell them what that risk might be. If it is controlled, I'd expect there would be plenty insurers who would not automatically exclude high blood pressure. Good luck.
thefergies is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 12:14 PM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

I have high blood pressure and arthritis and use Staysure and at 64 at the time last year I was £285 fora years Insurance including the conditions above.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
AnnieB
Imagineer

Thanks for all the replies.

Staysure has quoted £175 annual for the whole family, including the pre-existing condition and cruise cover. They have 20% off at the moment. I think we will go for that!