Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Jan 20, 04:57 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyTripAgain
I want to go now!

BA seating costs (package v. flight only)

Hi all,

I’ve seen a few comments about this within other threads but just wanted some clarification for those who might know!

If I book a BA flight + car package, do I still need to pay for seat reservations? I usually book flights separately (and I just chance it 24 hrs before check-in), but a few posts suggested seat reservations are included in package bookings.

If anyone knows for certain it would be great to know before I decide how to book!

DisneyTripAgain is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 05:02 PM  
Link to this Post
RockTheDots
slightly serious Dibber

RockTheDots's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
We booked a BA package (flight + hotel) to Tokyo last year and we could only reserve our seats for free at check-in 24hrs before the flight.
Disneyland: 2022 (Trip report: LA & Aulani), 2023
DCL: Magic x2, Dream, Wish (booked for 2024!), Fantasy and Wonder (booked for 2025!)
RockTheDots is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 05:16 PM  
Link to this Post
ClaireNJ
Imagineer

We always have a package & as above you can get your seats 24 hrs before you fly for free or pay before hand if you prefer a particular seat, we’ve paid £58 for 2 seats to Boston as I like the aisle & I have been unlucky before & sat between 2 men, seriously felt trapped in so would rather pay a small amount

Edited at 05:18 PM.
ClaireNJ is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

I am sure I can book 7 days out for free join the executive club that is what we did
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 06:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Sew109 View Post
I am sure I can book 7 days out for free join the executive club that is what we did
Unfortunately you need status with exec club now to book more then 24 hours out - I think it’s silver status to do early selection? Or at least that was my experience (I am exec club blue...)
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

There is no difference for advance seat selection privileges with BA for package bookings compared to flight only. BA Holidays does not (yet) sell basic economy fares, so the worst case is free choice of available seats from 24 hours before the first flight on each journey.

BA free advance seat selection privileges are:
  • From time of booking - BA Silver / oneworld Sapphire members and above (a few seats may not be available to Silvers or require payment, eg long haul exit rows in economy), those with eligible disabilities, those with an infant in the party, and anyone travelling in First.
  • From 7 days out - BA Bronze / oneworld Ruby members
  • When OLCI opens - everyone else (excluding Basic Economy). Those with under-12s in the party will have seats assigned 3-6 days prior, but cannot change them without paying until OLCI opens, unless they qualify by one of the above other means.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Leggibone View Post
Unfortunately you need status with exec club now to book more then 24 hours out - I think it’s silver status to do early selection? Or at least that was my experience (I am exec club blue...)
Ah I have bronze
Sew109 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 08:56 PM  
Link to this Post
papamouse
VIP Dibber

just booked and looking like we need to pay "to be assured" of sitting together.

here's a good article tho
moneysavingexpert/tr...rline-seating/

we have 2 adults and 2 under 12s and one 13 yo - so technically I believe she is treated like an adult and can be seated separately.

Neighbour who regularly does Edi-Gat-MCO says they get seated by BA because of the kids before the stampede 24 hours before - so I guess we will wait and see.

Was tempted to book Airfrance as they say families with U15s will be sat together - they have VA code share - but just went with BA for the car and time to pay.

2025 "Free Dining" Discounts Calculator Spreadsheet here:
https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...php?p=15848077
papamouse is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 20, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Sew109
Imagineer

Originally Posted by papamouse View Post
just booked and looking like we need to pay "to be assured" of sitting together.

we have 2 adults and 2 under 12s and one 13 yo - so technically I believe she is treated like an adult and can be seated separately.

Neighbour who regularly does Edi-Gat-MCO says they get seated by BA because of the kids before the stampede 24 hours before - so I guess we will wait and see.

Was tempted to book Airfrance as they say families with U15s will be sat together - they have VA code share - but just went with BA for the car and time to pay.
The two under 12’s could both be sat with one adult or each with one adult, with can mean a cross an aisle or i front or behind. T9 be fair BA usually are very good at putting families together though when travelling as a family we always pay as the risk of being separated puts a dampener on our holiday planning.

You do have an added advantage as you can book from 24 hours before your first flight which will give you a few hours over those starting their journey in London.

Edited at 09:46 PM.
Old 16 Jan 20, 11:56 PM  
Link to this Post
Peko
Imagineer

Originally Posted by papamouse View Post

As I posted above, and assuming you are all on the same booking, due to the under-12s in the party, BA will assign seats for the whole group 3-6 days prior to travel. At that point, if you’re not happy with them, you could pay to move to other available seats, or wait and take your chances at check-in.

BA does not deliberately split parties up, especially with children in the group. Obviously in a group of 5 you will be split to some extent, either 3 and 2 or 4 and 1, probably across an aisle or maybe one row behind the other. If you’re flying economy, I wouldn’t be too concerned, if in another cabin it can be more of a risk that the party would be split.
Peko is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List