Notices
UK Holiday Planning & Days Out For UK Holiday planning and experiences

Old 27 Jul 21, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
DebbieJRoss
Imagineer

Scotland in 4/5 days then england

My dh, dd and I going August from Belfast to Scotland. Starting and ending in cairnryan . My dh loves driving and has suggested loads of places he wants to cover but it's a lot of miles. We will be doing very brief stops more scenic drives. I have booked Fortwilliam for first night then stonehaven second night and edinburgh for two nights then drop our dd off at cairnryan and we go onto England to visit our friend in lowestoft who recently lost her husband. We will stay 2 nights lowestoft and make way back up to cairnryan staying a couple nights in different places not yet decided on way to lowestoft and back.
We thought cairnryan to loch lomond area as arrive early morning. Maybe on to oban then fortwilliam for night then round fortwilliam area then maybe drive loch ness then have overnight at stonehaven. Then maybe stirling on way to Edinburgh for 2 nights then have to be back 8n cairnryan for 3.30 sailing to cairnryan to drop of dd before heading on 2nd part of trip. I know too much but so much we would like to do but have limited time in Scotland with daughter. Is this even doable
DebbieJRoss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

It is a heck of a lot of driving and on some narrow twisty roads. I guess if your husband likes driving and you like spending most of every day sitting in a car as a passenger looking out at the views from a windscreen then go for it. It isnt for everyone (me included - I tend to sleep as a passenger and no way would I drive all that and not be able to take it in slower time ) but each to their own - I like a gentle relaxing holiday taking time to absorb places

Edited at 12:09 PM.
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 02:48 PM  
Link to this Post
DebbieJRoss
Imagineer

I know what you mean I would prefer to shorten it but hubby convinced it should all be OK and play it by ear lol I'm more of a planner don't mind couple hours in car as long as something to look at, get out stretch legs wee dander see round me any suggestions welcomed.
DebbieJRoss is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 12:24 PM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Stonehaven
My hometown

Aunty Bettys for ice-cream
The Bay for fish & chips
The Carron where they "invented" the deep fried mars bar
Giulianotti for ice-cream( all made on the premises) sweets etc opened in 1899 beautiful vintage shop.

Dunnottar castle, Dunnottar woods (ice house/Lady Kennedy's bath/Gallow's hill History trail)
Keep an eye out for the Stonehaven Banksy models along the bay.

Robert William Thomson inventor of the pneumatic tyre was born there (everyone from Stoney will tell you that) but more importantly I was born there.
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 02:50 PM  
Link to this Post
DebbieJRoss
Imagineer

It sounds lovely
Old 27 Jul 21, 01:57 PM  
Link to this Post
Perthite
Very Serious Dibber

That itinerary wouldn’t appeal to me! Lots of miles on the road but not properly seeing anything much.

Maybe drop the Stonehaven part and have another night in Fort William instead. You can go for nice drives (coast or mountains) from there, if that’s your thing.
Perthite is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jul 21, 10:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ginwithaslice
Very Serious Dibber

Mobile

We are just back from 8 nights in Scotland. The first night we drove Cairnryan to Loch Lomond, which took longer than normal due to road works outside Glasgow. We had a lovely day the next day driving to Luss village and around the loch, then over Glencoe to Fort William.
We stayed 2 nights there then 2 in Inverness and 2 in Aviemore, finishing in Ayr for last night.
It was a lot of driving between the two of us but we saw a lot including Glencoe, Ben nevis range, Culloden Battlefield, and beautiful Cairngorms.

Furthest north we went was Dunrobin Castle in Golspie and it was fab!
ginwithaslice is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 21, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Man thats a lot of driving ... Newcastle to Norwich can take easily 5 hours.. so from Scotland...

sounds epic but a lot of time in the car imo

enjoy !
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 21, 10:40 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
I agree with others - you are passing some lovely places and attractions but won't have time to 'see' or enjoy them. It seems that 80% of your holiday will be spent in the car. Maybe pick a few places and stay a couple of nights at each - still a lot of driving but at least you have time to visit rather than pass through.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Jul 21, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
kk20
Imagineer

Lowestoft to cairnryan wil be around 7 or 8 hours I suspect. its 2 from Carlisle if you get stuck behind a wagon (very little safe overtaking). I used to repair medical equipment from windermere "UP" and it was hard work explaining to Luton head office staff that the roads in Scotland are not the same as those in Luton.
kk20 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List