Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 14 Oct 21, 12:15 AM  
Link to this Post
stink08
Very Serious Dibber

Puppy help please

So our extremely cute 5 month old cavapoo is a nightmare toilet training, he would always use puppy pee mats to do his business on but the last few days he literally just poos and pees where he feel like, and he could be stood next to his matt but will poo on the carpet, he will pee and poo in garden if he is out but sometimes runs back in and pees on the floor, my house is starting to stink and it’s stressing me out a bit, put him out this evening before bed and he waited till we were upstairs and took a poo on our bedroom carpet😬😬 really not sure what to do as he is the first dog I’ve ever had, it’s a good job he’s so dam cute! Any advice more than welcome

Edited at 12:18 AM.
stink08 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 03:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

I have only had two dogs so not claiming to be an expert, but we got somebody in for private sessions with the first puppy to teach us all the basics.

So I would first of all stop using puppy pads, I think they can be confusing, just have inside and outside. I would now restart the training from scratch. Get a notebook, note down times for eating, peeing and pooping and get familiar with his schedule. Take him out on the clock, every two hours or whatever his schedule indicates in necessary. Use the lead, stay out with him until he is done, don’t let him run back inside yo pee, he stays outside until he is done. We were told to treat ours then, our first puppy was very food orientated and the time he stood in front of us (inside) looked us in the eye, peed on the floor and looked for a treat was when we decided to stop treating, other than with verbal praise.

It is hard work, can take weeks or months depending on your dog, but they nearly all get there.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 05:43 AM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Firstly he is completely adorable and secondly I would get rid of the puppy pads. Go back to basics which is take him out every 30 mins and say ‘pee pee’ or ‘wee wee’ (or whatever word you want him to associate with going to the toilet) and when he does pee/poop outside give loads of praise and a special treat (like cheese or a training treat). If he does have an accident inside make sure you clean it well so there is no scent left behind. It is just perseverance and being consistent but it will work. Good luck.
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 05:54 AM  
Link to this Post
katebush95
VIP Dibber

I would agree with the above poster, we only ever had newspaper by the back door when house training our puppies in the past, so I don’t know if your puppy pads are in different places around the house? You have to be really quick with puppies and watch out for the slightest sign they want to ‘go’ and quickly put them outside. Also put them outside as soon as they have eaten or had a drink and when they wake up. When they do wee and poo in the garden make an absolute fuss of them, lots of praise and cuddles. If they go in the house completely ignore them, no eye contact, no telling off, nothing, as it might be a cry for attention? Is your puppy getting plenty of stimulation during the day, could it be bored so again trying to get your attention at night when you go to bed? You could speak to your vet for advice on feeding routines etc. Good luck and it is a very cute puppy 💕

Glenbrook Villa April 2009
Highgrove Villa July 2011
New York New York April 2017

Back to the magic take two! November 2022 Pre-Trip report
katebush95 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 06:39 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
Where is he sleeping? I crate trained mine at night and he never ever went in his crate, I’d put him out before bed, then straight into the crate and after the first 2 nights where he shouted in the night he slept through til morning. I had his crate near the back door for easy access to his yard. I never allowed him upstairs or on carpeted areas until he was completely bomb proof with it, but we could do that as we had laminate and tiles downstairs.
I also never used puppy pads. Just took him out all the time.

I did use treats, and ‘wee wee’ I knew mine had got it when he did 11 tiny wees outside one summer evening for a biscuit 😂
Old 14 Oct 21, 06:40 AM  
Link to this Post
Labboy
VIP Dibber

Lift the poo and take it out to the garden along with your adorable pup and say here. We also let our pup out and said go pee. Lots of praise when the do their business outside works as positive reinforcement. Your puppy is only 5 months old remember and some things take time.
Labboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 08:43 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

We dont have a dog but do dog sit a jack russell

as far as i know he never had puppy pads, the owners bought potty bells (sleigh bell that hang on the back door handle)

everytime they took the then puppy out for a wee/poo they rang the bells with the puppys foot

this became a routine for him & now he rings the bells himself when he needs to be out for the toilet

they claim he only ever pooed in the house once using this method

we use the bells when he stays at ours as well works a treat
novocastrian is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 08:57 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

We’ve had a number of pups and some are slower than others at doing their business outside, but as suggested by others constantly taking them outside the moment they wake up the moment they eat or drink, the moment they appear to show any sign of wanting to go, and even just randomly taking them out every 30 minutes or so.

Giving them lots of praise when they go outside and also giving them a healthy treat each time they go outside has always helped them eventually realise that they get rewarded.

P.S. your dog is gorgeous

Edited at 08:58 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 09:08 AM  
Link to this Post
ely3857
Imagineer

We have a seven month old puppy and despite excellent toilet training initially he did regress and begin to go indoors but very much in a ‘stuff you’ kinda way. We just rode it out and he stopped. Whenever he went inside we’d immediately take him outside and also stepped up encouraging him outdoors more frequently like we did when he was smaller. It seemed to be more of a phase than a toilet training issue but returning to basics such as taking him outside into the garden a lot did help. Lots of praise for going outside but ignore going inside (bar taking the dog outside). We did hire a carpet cleaner once we were confident it was over!

We’ve never used puppy pads, just had the back door open in nice weather or the hanging bells for him to bash when the door was closed and ask to be let out.

Edited at 09:11 AM.
ely3857 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 21, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

We don’t have a dog ourselves but we look after my sons family puppy when they are at work. He is four months old and had a few “accidents” right at the beginning but not for ages now.

My DIL noticed from the start he needed to pee after waking up so any time he woke up from a sleep he was quickly taken straight out and always peed. We did the same and he always gets lots of praise - we still tell him he is a good boy when he performs. He now goes to our back doors when he needs out and we go out with him most of the time.

We have not used puppy pads. He is not without problems though - we have trouble getting him to walk round the block for exercise. He is happy in the garden or going in the car to a park etc. but flat out refuses to walk the streets - just lies down and won’t budge.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List