Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 29 Jul 19, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
sky13
Imagineer

That's a good idea for me - I got into crochet recently and bringing something to do on the plane might help with the ridiculously long journey I have to Florida later this year!

(I'm more likely to just crash out and sleep for the entire 20+ hours of flying time though!)
Old 29 Jul 19, 04:20 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

My OH takes bamboo ones rather than metal. And the added benefit is they dont have that irritating clicking.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Jul 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

Its madness that you can take long metal knitting needles but not other things.
Old 29 Jul 19, 06:49 PM  
Link to this Post
JohnD
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
They've let my daughter on with the titanium chopsticks she uses to keep her hair up.

It is hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead.
JohnD is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
I think it's because having knitting needles with you on a flight isn't usually a sign that you're going to attack the flight crew and/or fellow passengers. Whereas carrying a large knife perhaps is?

Knitting needles are not particularly sharp, no more so than a pen (for example). One could argue you could do more damage with an umbrella, walking stick, snooker cue, travel iron, or most other things than you could with a knitting needle.

What's perhaps surprising is that you are allowed to take on a walking stick and snooker cue but not a cricket bat and golf club.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 01:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by mickey house View Post
Lol, she knits dog blankets and takes them to the dogs trust near us (Harfield).
That’s so lovely, I want to go to Harefield for a look but scared I might bring all the doggies home, not sure about knitting needles I know you can take a lighter. What’s to stop some nutter setting fire to seats and the whole plane going up!
Old 30 Jul 19, 02:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Silvercat
Imagineer

I started taking mine with me last year, and use bamboo needles for the plane. Last year I was sitting there, knitting away, (making a dark pink coloured cushion cover with textured hearts on it for my grand-daughter), and had lots of comments and compliments from crew and fellow passengers alike! I really enjoyed being able to keep myself busy on the plane, I get bored after a while on long haul flights - I try reading, watching films, playing games, and chatting to hubby, but all of these I can do whilst still knitting! This year I took it with me again, but didn't actually do any knitting this time. However, I will take it with me again!
Old 30 Jul 19, 02:23 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sandra & co View Post
That’s so lovely, I want to go to Harefield for a look but scared I might bring all the doggies home, not sure about knitting needles I know you can take a lighter. What’s to stop some nutter setting fire to seats and the whole plane going up!
Sandra, where have you been because I was worried you might have been rushed to hospital to have your stomach pumped to remove the cake blockage

Sadly many of the dogs that require rehoming have issues, which is to be expected and not everyone has the time or experience to try and deal with dysfunctional dogs, but my full praise and respect to those people that work hard to improve the dogs behavioural issues.

There are so many staffs in rehoming centres as often people get them for the wrong reasons. Most staffs are lovely natured, but due to bad ownership some aren't. Obviously that can apply to any breed of dog, but staff are very strong dogs (unlike ours).

Not sure why I went into rambling mode because it's so out of character for me to do that?
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 02:26 PM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Silvercat View Post
I started taking mine with me last year, and use bamboo needles for the plane. Last year I was sitting there, knitting away, (making a dark pink coloured cushion cover with textured hearts on it for my grand-daughter), and had lots of comments and compliments from crew and fellow passengers alike! I really enjoyed being able to keep myself busy on the plane, I get bored after a while on long haul flights - I try reading, watching films, playing games, and chatting to hubby, but all of these I can do whilst still knitting! This year I took it with me again, but didn't actually do any knitting this time. However, I will take it with me again!
I find it quite insulting that my wife wants to take her knitting on the plane with her when she has such excellent company to tell her story after story for 9 hours (people would pay for that privilege).

Although she uses metal needles, she has ordered some plastic ones for the flight and will put her metal ones in the suitcase.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 30 Jul 19, 02:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Sandra & co
Imagineer

Sandra & co's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Hey I’ve been around, family bbq on Sunday and lots of cooking. My dogs got a dodgy foot and wants to get the bus everywhere, we took her on the little bus to the park when it was hot and now she won’t walk. She has one back leg up but puts it down when nobody’s looking! She stands at every bus stop I pass and won’t walk. I can’t just get any dog is has to be non shedding because I’m allergic, but I always look on Harefield website.
I might OD on cake and chocolate if my weight doesn’t drop another pound!