Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Closed Thread

Old 8 Nov 17, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
IF an airline says you need 6 months or any other length of time on your passport to travel with them then that's what you need to travel with them, end of story.
Simply incorrect.

Passport control and border security has nothing to do with the airline. It doesn't even fall under the responsibility of the airline at the airport.

Some websites and advice out there is clearly wrong, for sure. And it's disappointing when it comes from seemly trusted sources, but that doesn't make it any less incorrect.

As a UK citizen, there is no requirement, on any mode of transport to the USA, for you to have longer than the length of your stay left on your passport validity.

Say in the very unlikely circumstance you some nitwit at a check desk or at border security that said otherwise, you would just point them in the direction of a supervisor, or even the TSA website. The TSA would be the sole reason for them denying you boarding.

... But there is next to no chance of that happening anyway as airport staff know the rules. And API / ESTA doesn't stop you either (because those system know the rules as well)

Edited at 03:04 PM.
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 17, 03:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
I agree that it is likely to be incorrectly worded, but it is what it is.
But as I say, there is an easy fix for anyone concerned.
Yep. Get the correct information.

By the way, apparently Zolt Airlines Ltd from Cornwall's website says you need 4 years validity to visit the Isle of White... I best go get my passport changed...
Bal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 17, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bal View Post
AA don't get a choice in the matter. Passport control is not their area anyway. Ground staff / TSA etc, don't follow two rule books. Passport validity clearly doesn't pose any danger to their colleagues, passengers or aircraft, and does not affect their service, so not entirely sure why anybody would think they would care.

Your abiding by all TSA rules (which is clear regardless of what individual websites say) and that really is the end of the matter.
AA get a big choice. When you go with them you sign up to their Ts&Cs. Nothing else.
This is totally separate to the entry criteria when you arrive at the border.
Two sets of independent rules by two different organisations.
And whether it is right or wrong, you could get a stroppy check in agent who wants to make a point (there are many). Do you really want to be having this discussion (or any other discussion) when going on holiday.
So unless you can get the AA website changed - it is the way it is. Whether we like it or not; whether we agree with it or not.
People can make their own minds up.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 17, 03:26 PM  
Link to this Post
fd1972uk
Imagineer

fd1972uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 25

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 57
Our little ones passport was fine too even though it had less than 6 months to go.

FD
DLP Oct'14, Sequoia Lodge
ASM, HRH, AOA, DC BAH FL Oct'17
fd1972uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 17, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
lovewdw
Apprentice Imagineer

If you have any concerns just renew your passport early, its easy to do online and any remaining months get added to the new one (upto 9 months) so its not like your even losing out on remaining months.
Yes you'll have to get a new ESTA, but compared to what your holiday is costing ... :angry:
lovewdw is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 17, 03:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

AA get a big choice.
Nope. Not on border security, passport control. Nor do they want it.

Everything else is irrelevant.

No chance you getting ultimately stopped from going to the USA for having less than 6 months.

Simple.
Old 8 Nov 17, 03:48 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lovewdw View Post
If you have any concerns just renew your passport early, its easy to do online and any remaining months get added to the new one (upto 9 months) so its not like your even losing out on remaining months.
Yes you'll have to get a new ESTA, but compared to what your holiday is costing ... :angry:
Exactly! It really is that simple.

No matter how much is said on these and other sites - there are people who worry by nature. Nothing said on these forums will change this element of their human nature. This is the easy answer whether right or wrong.
tspill is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 17, 04:23 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by lovewdw View Post
Your gonna feel kinda stupid though if your passport application get's held up or there are any issues with the application. Happened a few years ago when they had a huge backlog. Not to mention you have to go through an ESTA application again. Everybody talks about it being $14, nobody seems to mention it is a legal application with a chance of denial.

All for something, you didn't, with 100% ironclad certainty have to do. Regardless of which airline you are on. It's going to be a bit depressing if one somebody posts on here that their ESTA was denied with a new passport and they have to go to the embassy, and it turns out they had a perfectly valid ESTA and passport but renewed because they wanted "peace of mind".

Edited at 04:36 PM.
Old 8 Nov 17, 04:35 PM  
Link to this Post
tspill
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Bal View Post
Your gonna feel kinda stupid though if your passport application get's held up or there are any issues with the application. Happened a few years ago when they had a huge backlog. Not to mention you have to go through an ESTA application again. Everybody talks about it being $14, nobody seems to mention it is a legal application with a chance of denial.

All for something, you didn't, with 100% ironclad certainty have to do. Regardless of which airline you are on.
Valid points.
If you use your local passport office you can get a new passport in a couple of hours. I personally would never send my passport in the post for renewal. It is a few pounds more expensive, but to me that is well worth it.
The ESTA denial can happen whether you renew or not. It can become rejected at any time and isn't one time check at application time. But as many have said, the chances of either happening is very low.
Old 8 Nov 17, 04:39 PM  
Link to this Post
Bal
Imagineer

Valid points.
If you use your local passport office you can get a new passport in a couple of hours. I personally would never send my passport in the post for renewal. It is a few pounds more expensive, but to me that is well worth it.
The ESTA denial can happen whether you renew or not. It can become rejected at any time and isn't one time check at application time. But as many have said, the chances of either happening is very low.
I'd agree. Then again, the chances of not getting into the USA due to have less than 6 months on your passport are 0%.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, the Post Office only check your paperwork, you still have to send off your "old" passport.
Closed Thread