Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 10 Aug 19, 07:49 AM  
Link to this Post
danisleigh
Imagineer

danisleigh's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
Restaurant Reviews: 6
They will need the vaccinations and kennel cough before going into kennels but it won’t matter that you haven’t give them them previously. As they haven’t had them for so long they will need a restart which means having 2 lots of vaccinations the same as when they were a puppy. My kennels hasn’t asked for proof of flea and worm treatment before and we were only there the other week.
Apr 98..Quality Inn, Dec 2004...hotel Cheyenne, may 2006...Emerald Island, Mar 2013..Regal Palms / AKL / Rosen Inn / HRH, Oct 14..Cypress Pointe, July 2016 Newport bay club, Aug 2016 magic med cruise, Aug 2017 SSR/Rosen pointe/HRH, Aug 19 Northern Europe Disney magic, Dec 2019...Sequoia Lodge, Xmas 2021 Rosen Plaza/HRH, May 2022 POFQ/HRH, May 2023 Disneyland LA.
danisleigh is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 08:18 AM  
Link to this Post
sam7
Imagineer

A kennel will just need to see that a dog has an upto date vaccination, so if you wanted to go that route you could get it vaccinated now - it would need a second lot 2-4 weeks later, this would be enough. Some kennels don't insist on kennel cough (I don't give this and found good kennels that don't insist on it)
You can also have dogs tested for immunities - its called a titre test, some vets offer this and it is priced from about £35 up. Some kennels accept this as an alternative to vaccinations.
sam7 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 08:35 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

If you dont have injections done does it invalidate pet insurance? My dog is 16 and always had his done , he wont be going into kennels anymore and he absolutely hates going to the vets . We took him to have his nails cut this week and he was a shaking , quivering mess so was wondering if I should continue with the boosters.
Old 10 Aug 19, 08:39 AM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

not everyone has pet insurance. We don't. We have an account that holds the maximum that they would have paid out for our dog (and a bit more).
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 08:41 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by JLH View Post
If you dont have injections done does it invalidate pet insurance? My dog is 16 and always had his done , he wont be going into kennels anymore and he absolutely hates going to the vets . We took him to have his nails cut this week and he was a shaking , quivering mess so was wondering if I should continue with the boosters.
I guess you need to speak to them and find out. Incidentally there has been a lot of debate as to why dogs/cats are vaccinated each year - we are not.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 08:52 AM  
Link to this Post
JLH
Imagineer

just answering my own question , have trawled through many terms and conditions and my dog would not be covered for any illness that could have been prevented by having the injection. As I said he's had it yearly for 16 years and I did previously read yearly ones are not necessary , he hardly goes out much now (sometimes he refuses point blank to even walk to the park and I have to turn round and go home again) so I will spare him the stress of the jabs this year I think .
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:05 AM  
Link to this Post
squish
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Thanks for all the replies. It has been a big worry for us! We have a potential option for a family member to look after her but its not guaranteed!
She is old, protective and has a loud bark (she is a shar pei) so I feel like boarders and maybe a kennel wouldn’t want her 💜😩
squish is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 09:38 AM  
Link to this Post
jemett
Imagineer

Mobile

We have a franchise called Doggy holiday homes where we live and the dogs stay at peoples houses so no need for kennels. Search on FB for something similar. We use this service when we go away and get regular photos of our dog etc. Just to add our dog was only vaccinated when a puppy and now use natural methods of medication etc.

EMMA
jemett is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Aug 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
CrochetFreak
Helping Minnie

Not having been in kennels before, how would your 9 year old dog take to it? Would it pine for you a lot? Are they concrete kennel runs, little human attention, hearing other dogs barking and stressing? I only say this as we had a dog once, she was 8 years old and due to both my husband and I being in a car accident and having to hospitalised for just over a week, no one to take the dog in, she was put in kennels. She was never the same dog after, very nervous, hated us leaving her alone ……

When we used to go on holidays my daughter would look after her, but she was due a baby any day.

Now we use a company called "Wagging Tails". Wonderful. they have ordinary people in their own homes take your dog in and they treat the dog like their own. They only have your dogs ,no one elses at the same time. My dog when she now stays, gets so excited at having aholiday with her other "family".

This might b something that suits you better. Although we have to have had the dog vaccinated, they only want a current vaccination, not any that go back in time.
CrochetFreak is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List