Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 Aug 19, 01:52 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Hotel in San Francisco. Suggestions & recommends please.

Hi
On an impulse, I have bought flights into San Francisco on 30 March and out of Vancouver on 10 April. This fits within the School break and in some ways is a ‘mop up’ after our trip in 2018. We had intended a Mexico AI, but the flights were direct in and out of LHR and were £395 return with British Airways, their economy basic includes meals, drinks and hand baggage. We are now very much hand baggage people after our last adventure.

We are looking at 3 nights in SFO after our arrival and before we move on South a bit as we missed the PCH last time due to an inconsiderate mud slide.

Whilst in SFO, we are looking at some cycling around, some parks and secondary sights as well as ‘Alcatraz at night’. Like everybody else, Fishermen’s will inevitably feature.

We need a hotel or accommodation for 3 nights. We have a budget and typically aim at 3 star (ish). Location may override this desire.
With boys of 16 and 13, we would much prefer a double bed and 2 singles (or similar) from 30 March until checkout on 02 April 2020.

We have not written off anything on the BART route but would appreciate advice as to distance to station in the event if a dibber is thinking that way in advice given.

Any advice will be gratefully received.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 01:54 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 07:47 PM  
Link to this Post
JoS
Imagineer

I have just posted above re Columbus Inn. Take a look at that post. The hotel is basic but clean, and has a family room which might suit you. Your trip sounds amazing...so very jealous! I will get to Vancouver one day. Happy planning
JoS is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 08:23 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by JoS View Post
I have just posted above re Columbus Inn. Take a look at that post. The hotel is basic but clean, and has a family room which might suit you. Your trip sounds amazing...so very jealous! I will get to Vancouver one day. Happy planning
Thankyou. I will take a look.

Edit... I took your good advice and later booked it direct from their Web page.. Thankyou!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 11:00 PM.
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We stayed at Cow Hollow Inn a couple of years ago and it worked really well for us.
It was basic but clean, comfortable beds, good sized rooms and free parking. There were plenty of lovely restaurants nearby in a pretty residential area and the public transport links were good. We didn’t use the car and instead used the bus and cable car. Parking in SF is really expensive.
It is part of the same group as Columbus Inn.

You must do a cable car ride. It rivals any theme park ride!

We did a bike ride over the Golden Gate Bridge and got the ferry back from Sausalito- lovely.
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:38 PM  
Link to this Post
landandword17
Imagineer

Mobile

Star ratings in SF don’t mean much. A holiday inn can be £350 a night. What is your budget? I would agree with the recommendations above as a good starting point. They are Dibb favourites as some of the few properties in the city that are reasonable and offer free parking.
landandword17 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Bozza
Imagineer

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
We stayed in the Hilton San Francisco Union Square last year for 4 or 5 nights (can't remember how long it was now).

Really nice hotel that seems to be, for us, in a decent enough location.

I'd stay there again, which I guess is always the ultimate test.

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi have you considered Airbnb. We had a great day started cycling over bridge to sausilito and back on ferry and then Alcatraz at night. We would also recommend city electric bike tour.
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Aug 19, 11:08 PM  
Link to this Post
tweety-pie
Imagineer

tweety-pie's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Cow Hollow, as already mentioned above. We loved it, parking was included and restaurants close by, and walking was easy. Loved Sausalito too but took the car over there.
Old 17 Aug 19, 02:37 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by landandword17 View Post
Star ratings in SF don’t mean much. A holiday inn can be £350 a night. What is your budget? I would agree with the recommendations above as a good starting point. They are Dibb favourites as some of the few properties in the city that are reasonable and offer free parking.
Thankyou for your help everybody.

I booked a 3 night stay in the Columbus Motor Inn for$760, 30/03/20 to 02/04/20.
I could not get a price on any search engine and therefore booked direct through their own website.
For a suite with a queen and 2 x double beds, I feel that this represents a great deal (compared with other SFO prices).

Edited at 05:12 AM.
Old 17 Aug 19, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
BallisticJack
Earning More Ears

Originally Posted by cornishfrogboy View Post
Thankyou for your help everybody.

I booked a 3 night stay in the Columbus Motor Inn for$760, 30/03/20 to 02/04/20.
I could not get a price on any search engine and therefore booked direct through their own website.
For a suite with a queen and 2 x double beds, I feel that this represents a great deal (compared with other SFO prices).
We stayed in the family suite at this hotel three weeks ago. It was basic, clean and reasonably spacious. Location was great. Also booked direct. Would stay here again, especially given how expensive other hotels can be in San Fran.

Edited at 07:23 AM.
BallisticJack is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List