Notices
Theme Parks Florida Rides, Attractions, Genie+ Questions and Info.

Old 28 Aug 19, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
DJSwitch
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
The new films have been extremely successful (and profitable). The Force Awakens is the 4th highest movie of all time whilst The Last Jedi is currently 13th. There are lots of new fans and loads of interest on social media.

Whether those fans will want to pay the high price to stay at this hotel is another matter. It wouldn't make any difference if the hotel was set in the original trilogy's time-frame, it would still be a difficult sell.

But I don't think Disney is aiming this at the "average" fan. There are only a limited number of people with the money required to stay here so the average fan is not going to be able to afford it. They're not meant to - this exclusive experience is aimed at the well-off, like the expensive VIP tours. I suspect the hotel will have a relatively small number of rooms - I believe the rumours are that it will only have around 68 rooms.

I agree that they were very successful in the start although this was largely before the very divisive Last Jedi. After this the only film that's been released was Solo and I believe it was the first Star Wars film in history not to even make a profit. Couple that with the merchandise losing money and even Disney fumbling for excuses as to why it's not doing well and I'd argue that Disney Star Wars is in trouble at the moment. It's the reason they have had to half the movie production schedule from every year to every 2 at the moment citing phrases such as "Star Wars fatigue" and referring to Episode 9 as a "course correction". At the moment they would appear to be losing fans at a higher rate than gaining new ones. No doubt this can change although they have placed all of their eggs in this basket with Galaxy's Edge and time will tell how the demand for a product is based only on Disney's Star Wars and without a hint of the characters or era that made the brand what it is/was.
DJSwitch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 08:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
There are other places onsite that cost just about as much (or more). I just did a quick check at how much it would be to stay at Copper Creak for 2 people next summer and it's around $2900 per person for 2 nights. And that doesn't include food and experiences. I assume some people must pay those prices otherwise why would Disney advertise them at that price?
Anyone who pays that money to stay in Copper Creek needs to see a shrink. That price will not be for a Studio but a Grand Villa. You aren’t comparing apples with apples

Edited at 08:34 PM.
Mr Tom Morrow is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 10:56 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
Anyone who pays that money to stay in Copper Creek needs to see a shrink. That price will not be for a Studio but a Grand Villa. You aren’t comparing apples with apples
True. That was just the first example I could find. There are other, non-villa options that are also expensive.

But it just goes to show that there are some people who are willing to spend large amounts of money just to stay on Disney property. Throw in some amazing Star Wars theming and roleplaying, food, entrance to Galaxy's Edge (and maybe guaranteed fastpasses to the GE attractions?) as well and I'm sure there are some people who would be happy to pay the price to stay at the Halcyon - even if they are just cabins and not villas.

It's out of most people's price range. But this isn't aimed at most people.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by DJSwitch View Post
I agree that they were very successful in the start although this was largely before the very divisive Last Jedi. After this the only film that's been released was Solo and I believe it was the first Star Wars film in history not to even make a profit.
Solo was set in the old original trilogy timeline (well, a bit beforehand but it included characters from that old timeline). It wasn't set in the sequels timeframe. The only films that have been set in that time with new characters like Rey and Kylo Ren are the two sequels.

If anything, Solo shows that things set in the original trilogy's timeframe with the original characters are less successful than those set in the new timeframe with new characters. Even Rogue One - which most people seemed to like - didn't do as well as the sequels. It's 32nd in the list. It's set just before Last Hope.

So one could say it's a good thing that they set Galaxy's Edge and the Halcyon around the new sequels. Because new stuff set around the original trilogy doesn't seem to do so well. Whereas the new sequels are far more popular.

At the moment they would appear to be losing fans at a higher rate than gaining new ones.
I disagree with this. And any "fans" that are leaving are clearly not actual fans. Fans don't abandon a franchise just because it concentrates on the next generation of new characters - as any franchise that wants to continue and progress should.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 01:42 PM  
Link to this Post
DJSwitch
Surfing at Typhoon Lagoon

Solo was set in the old original trilogy timeline (well, a bit beforehand but it included characters from that old timeline). It wasn't set in the sequels timeframe. The only films that have been set in that time with new characters like Rey and Kylo Ren are the two sequels.

If anything, Solo shows that things set in the original trilogy's timeframe with the original characters are less successful than those set in the new timeframe with new characters. Even Rogue One - which most people seemed to like - didn't do as well as the sequels. It's 32nd in the list. It's set just before Last Hope.

So one could say it's a good thing that they set Galaxy's Edge and the Halcyon around the new sequels. Because new stuff set around the original trilogy doesn't seem to do so well. Whereas the new sequels are far more popular.

I disagree with this. And any "fans" that are leaving are clearly not actual fans. Fans don't abandon a franchise just because it concentrates on the next generation of new characters - as any franchise that wants to continue and progress should.
Haha! You can attempt to spin this any way you like and I genuinely commend you in your efforts to argue that it is the OT which is not appealing to people currently. That got a genuine chuckle here. The part of your post about the Halcyon is almost epic level trolling as well although I can see the humour in it. It's difficult to believe that you genuinely think that however. I'm doing my best not to respond in full to all points raised though.

I think we both know that this is an argument which could span several essay length posts and thoroughly derail this thread. Many of your posts have also provided me some genuinely good help in relation to my current trip planning so I'll just, respectfully, agree to disagree on the subject of the current Star Wars rather than really get into this. It's a passionate subject for either side of this debate.

DJSwitch is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 01:51 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

It's a passionate subject for either side of this debate.
Whilst the rest of us in the middle are just sitting there still thinking: "It's just a bloody hotel!"

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 19, 02:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Haha! You can attempt to spin this any way you like and I genuinely commend you in your efforts to argue that it is the OT which is not appealing to people currently. That got a genuine chuckle here. The part of your post about the Halcyon is almost epic level trolling as well although I can see the humour in it. It's difficult to believe that you genuinely think that however. I'm doing my best not to respond in full to all points raised though.
It's not about what I believe. I think Halcyon sounds like it's going to be stupidly overpriced and there's no way I'm going to stay there. I also like the original trilogy films more that the latest stuff (although I do still like the new stuff - just not as much as the originals). But this isn't about what *I* think.

I was merely pointing out the fact that the recent original trilogy stuff has not done as well as the sequels. You said so yourself; Solo was a failure whilst the Last Jedi was a commercial success.

Clearly, Disney with all it's marketing knowledge, statistics, dozens of professional analysts, and years of experience in themed resorts is likely to know better than you or I how well this new SW-themed hotel will do. They think it's worth spending millions of dollars building and promoting it. They wouldn't be building it if they didn't think they could make a profit from it!

Anyway, as Rob says, "It's just a bloody hotel". And, I might add, a bloody expensive hotel at that! (I still expect people will stay there though).

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Old 4 Dec 19, 09:12 AM  
Link to this Post
fd1972uk
Imagineer

fd1972uk's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Restaurant Reviews: 25

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 57
Mobile

Hotel is called Halycon, does sound fantastic.

Not sure if people are just scare mongering but saying the 2 night experience costs around $3000 dollars per person for a 5 person room.

Seen this on Disney Parks just released.
DLP Oct'14, Sequoia Lodge
ASM, HRH, AOA, DC BAH FL Oct'17
fd1972uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List