Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Dec 19, 11:11 PM  
Link to this Post
sw16
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Just looked up my local one and they are running short on a few things so I will pick up a few extras when i am shopping.
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Mexy02
VIP Dibber

Mexy02's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
We donate at our local supermarket every couple of weeks and follow the Facebook page of stuff they are short of . It’s good to see what they really need . Sanitary products are always welcome , just a thought .
Yacht club / Bahama bay oct/Nov 2019 , poly
Nov 2022 boulder ridge, Polynesian , AOA and Bahama bay
Sept 24 POFQ
Mexy02 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Rockette
Apprentice Imagineer

I help run a local voluntary foodbank. We rely totally on food donations from our community. We've been going one year and have helped 100 local families in that time. It's been lovely to see in the last few weeks how much people have stepped up their donations at this time of year. We're grateful for anything that people donate but have been actively asking for a few special bits to give a bit of Christmas to our families that we help. I have stopped donating to the big country wide charities and now will do a shop once a month so in the summer holidays I chose to buy things like ice lollies, pop and crisps as the kids are at home so much more. It really tugs at your heart strings when you make a drop to someone needy and they are excited to see fruit or something else that we all take for granted.

1982:I-Drive 2007:I-Drive 2009:I-Drive 2010:POR 2011:OKW 2012:BCV/AKV 2013:BCV/VB/OKW, BCR/BWV 2014:SSR/BCV, WBTA/NYC 2015:BCV, BCV/OKW 2016:BWV, WBTA/BCV 2017:VWL/BCV, MED CRUISE, FANTASY/BLT/BCV 2018:BRV/BWV, AKV/CARIBBEAN CRUISE/BWV 2019:BWV/VB/EBTA,BCV 2022:RIV/BWV, BWV, VB/CRUISE/SSR 2023:Mexico, RIV/BWV, Med Cruise, WBTA 2024 BLT
Rockette is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Dec 19, 11:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bella Girl
slightly serious Dibber

Bella Girl's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Hi,

I am involved through work as we run a large Foodbank. Trussell Trust Foodbanks offer 3 days worth of food to people and have a shopping list that acts as guidance for donors. However at this time of year, Christmas treats are also welcome.

Tesco are a great supermarket to donate through (they have baskets in their stores to drop off donations) because they match all donations with a monetary donation that is linked to the amount of food donated so foodbanks can use this money to buy foods that they are short of.

I always think that at this time of year, we see the best of people as we see incredible generosity from the public.

I would encourage everyone to donate as this year, foodbanks across the country have seen sharp increases in the numbers of people needing help and some are running out of food. Our Foodbank has seen a 50% increase in demand in the last 12 months and the one thing I have learned doing this work is that this could happen to any of us. We see people coming through the doors who have been made redundant or have serious health issues or have had suffered a bereavement. Some of the stories are heartbreaking.
Bella Girl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
miked1e
Imagineer

miked1e's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
Originally Posted by Bella Girl View Post
Hi,

I am involved through work as we run a large Foodbank. Trussell Trust Foodbanks offer 3 days worth of food to people and have a shopping list that acts as guidance for donors. However at this time of year, Christmas treats are also welcome.

Tesco are a great supermarket to donate through (they have baskets in their stores to drop off donations) because they match all donations with a monetary donation that is linked to the amount of food donated so foodbanks can use this money to buy foods that they are short of.

I always think that at this time of year, we see the best of people as we see incredible generosity from the public.

I would encourage everyone to donate as this year, foodbanks across the country have seen sharp increases in the numbers of people needing help and some are running out of food. Our Foodbank has seen a 50% increase in demand in the last 12 months and the one thing I have learned doing this work is that this could happen to any of us. We see people coming through the doors who have been made redundant or have serious health issues or have had suffered a bereavement. Some of the stories are heartbreaking.
Great stuff...

Whilst we do every so often donate at the end of a Tesco shop... this thread has made me think more about it and I have searched on the web to find out what they are in need of and will donate later this week.

Unfortunately something we all need to be very much aware of and something which I expect will get worse (in demand) over the coming weeks / months / years with what is going on in the political landscape.
miked1e is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 12:42 AM  
Link to this Post
sw16
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Since a few of you have said you work at food banks I have a question. Is there any preference between branded or unbranded or does it not matter? I often buy supermarket own version of things as i find it to be cheaper but the same quality (and sometimes the same product) as a more expensive one.
Old 9 Dec 19, 04:18 AM  
Link to this Post
wez
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Some food banks accept donations via supermarket’s online shopping. Simply shop online as usual but put the delivery address of the food bank instead of your own.
wez is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
Jakey Neverland
Imagineer

I am currently putting stuff together, I am taking schools collection too. I have put more treats in boxes of biscuits, choc oranges, selection boxes etc but they also are always in need of UTH milk and cereal.

Anything you give will be appreciated and eaten, something they also don't get often and can be very much needed is the free from stuff.
Old 9 Dec 19, 07:10 AM  
Link to this Post
arielrocks
VIP Dibber

Mobile

If you look for your local food bank they have a list of items that they would appreciate being donated. Anything you donate is a kind gesture, but there are items that you could donate that would cost less than Pringles that would be better received in my opinion.

But again, very kind and generous of you to donate anything.

I usually pick up a couple of things with my shop and donate as there’s a collection basket in my local supermarket.

Things that our local food bank like are;

Pasta
Pasta sauces
Long life milk
Tins of veg/soup/beans
Cereals
Tea
Coffee
Biscuits
Toiletries (not aerosols)

But anyway... Pringles would have defo been a nice treat for someone so well done for donating xx
arielrocks is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Dec 19, 07:26 AM  
Link to this Post
evergreen
Imagineer

If your local supermarket isn’t a collection point ask at customer services why not.
People are hungry all year not just at Christmas.
I vary weekly what I put in this week it was 2 jars of Sainsbury’s own Strawberry Jam. last week it was the family favourite biscuits, next week it might be 2 x Sainsbury’s own sanitary towels, it breaks my heart to think anyone is hungry I spend a couple of pound a week and have done for years.

Edited at 07:53 AM.
evergreen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List