Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 28 Aug 19, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

The Highlands Fling Pre-travel day

So pre-travel day has finally arrived. I had a bit of a restless night as my mind was whirring with things I had to do today. Paul was up about 5:30 to take Poppy for a nice long walk over the fields. I lay there for about 40 minutes then got up, went downstairs for a voice, had a shower and went to wake up Beth. Beth had recently started a new job at a dog training/walking/boarding place where she had done work experience a few weeks before. She had a job at a stables but the pay wasn’t very good although she did have a free riding lesson every week which was £16 worth. She didn’t want to let Lisa (her new boss) down by having 3 weeks off straight away so I suggested she worked today. We were planning on leaving for the airport at 2 but Beth was working 9-2 but we could just leave an hour later.

We were due to take the dog (Poppy) to the kennels and I sorted out the receipt for the deposit. I went to the usual drawer for the vaccination card but it wasn’t there. Beth has taken Poppy a couple of weeks before for her booster and kennel cough jabs and had had the card then. I asked her if she knew where it was and she did. I said that was a relief as we would be in right trouble if we had lost it! I asked her to give it to me - cue 20 minutes of mad panic as she couldn’t find the card! The vet is only a 2 minute drive away and was just about to open so I dispatched Paul off to see if they could do a duplicate. They could and crisis averted. Paul also filled up my car with fuel whilst he was out to save some time later.

Paul took Beth to work then we cleaned out Paul the guinea pig (don’t ask!) and took him to my mum and dads. We went and got a new sack of dog food for Poppy to take to the kennels as we didn’t want to risk her having an upset stomach as she has only ever had Royal Canin German sheppard puppy food. We save a whole £1 a day supplying our own food but the cost isn’t the issue.

Back home for a quick coffee then the awful task of taking this beauty to the kennels.

Paul waited outside the office with Poppy whilst I sorted the paperwork and we paid extra for a 3rd walk per day and also a wash and blow dry the morning she came home. The woman came and took her and she went off without a backward glance. Me on the other hand was glad I brought my sunglasses as my eyes seemed a bit leaky.

I did a few minutes packing of the things we had used that morning or hair straightness for me and Beth (not for Paul as he has no hair!) and we loaded the car up before going to pick Beth up and calling for our traditional Subway before holidays.

We were on the road by 3:10. It took about 2 hours as there were 2 big sets of roadworks . It was hot as my air con had packed up a couple of weeks before holiday and I was too lazy/tight to get it fixed. We got the the Radisson at 5:10 where Paul dropped off me and Beth with the cases and parked up. We checked in and had been upgraded to a Premium class room with a massive bed for me and Paul but nothing for Beth!

I phoned down and they said they would bring a bed up in the next half hour so we gathered up the luggage and used the walkway over to Terminal 2 to do Twilight Check in. We were the only ones there and still had the same seats I had pre-booked so all was good. I did walk away without the passports which would have been a bit tricky the next day!

We had booked a meal at The Romper but we were too early so debated eating at the hotel but thought we would ask if we could eat early at the pub which turned out to be no problem as it was really quiet. It’s a lovely pub and only 5 minutes drive away. It’s a shame it’s not walking distance but you would have to walk on the motorway which is never a good idea.

Paul had a Guinness to drink and me and Beth had Peroni. For food me and Beth had lasagne and chips and Paul had the chicken burger. Was all good although a bit stingy on the chips.

We paid up then went back to the hotel where Beth went back to the room and me and Paul went to the Little M bar.

It was nice and chilled in there and I had a couple of pina coladas and Paul has Guinness. We would have stayed a bit longer in there but a group of Scottish men in their 50’s turned up and I think a few of them had been on the pop already as they were sooooo loud. When their food was brought out one of them made a sexist remark to the waitress too which was not good. Me and Paul had had enough so went back to the room where I had a bank breaking mini bottle of wine from the mini bar and we watched tv then went went to bed about 10.

Edited at 09:34 PM.
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 04:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Shkyler
Apprentice Imagineer

Following, all going well so far!
Shkyler is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 28 Aug 19, 04:36 PM  
Link to this Post
tomdan
Imagineer

Mobile

Good start.
tomdan is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Sep 19, 08:08 AM  
Link to this Post
tink111
Apprentice Imagineer

tink111's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
sounds like a good pre-travel day!
tink111 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 19, 07:38 AM  
Link to this Post
Jockey
Imagineer

Great Pre travel day!
Old 5 Sep 19, 07:45 AM  
Link to this Post
disneypars
Imagineer

Mobile

Great pre travel day love the Radisson.
Old 17 Sep 19, 01:32 PM  
Link to this Post
ravenwing
Trainee Dibber

Poppy is a beauty
Old 22 Jan 20, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Great pre travel day, we also have a subway on pre travel day 😂
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Feb 20, 10:04 PM  
Link to this Post
pamatt
Stuck in the Tower of Terror

Mobile

Can I ask, was this the Radisson Blu at Manchester Airport? And how old is your daughter? Pricing for our Xmas trip, showing no rooms for 3 adults (my son will be 17) but 2 adults and 1 child available. He'd be fine on a pull out bed for 1 night and don't want to pay for 2 rooms! 🤣
pamatt is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Mar 20, 10:18 PM  
Link to this Post
ChoppyGirl
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by pamatt View Post
Can I ask, was this the Radisson Blu at Manchester Airport? And how old is your daughter? Pricing for our Xmas trip, showing no rooms for 3 adults (my son will be 17) but 2 adults and 1 child available. He'd be fine on a pull out bed for 1 night and don't want to pay for 2 rooms! 🤣
Yes it was. Beth was 17 and we booked for 2 adults and 1 child. The bed was fine for her.
2014 Saratoga Springs Resort
2017 Animal Kingdom Lodge
2019 Highlands Reserve/Grand Plaza/Boardwalk Villa
2023 Vero Beach/Portofino Bay/Coronado Springs Club level

2024 Wilderness Lodge/Grand Floridian
2025 Disneyland Hotel DLP
ChoppyGirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List