Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 9 Nov 19, 07:05 PM  
Link to this Post
FLA88
Proud to wear my Ears

Paying in a cheque

Is anyone on here on bank cashier? I had a cheque sent to me from a friend for £5, today I tried to pay it in to my account. Firstly, the cashier commented it was a small amount and then asked who the person was and why they hadn't done a bank transfer. I explained they didn't use online banking or PayPal, that it why they had sent me the cheque.
Then she noticed an error in the spelling, my surname has tt in the middle and one was missing and it was made out to Ms not Mrs.
She then informed me that she could not accept the cheque. I asked if they had no discretion (our name is quite unusual and often misspelt, I hadn't even noticed the error) and was told if she did and was audited, she could lose her job if it came to light.

Surely this is crazy? I was a senior bank cashier for many years and in that situation would have used some common sense, especially given the amount involved. Sadly the days seem long gone when it was about providing a service to your customers

Thank you if you have read to the end of my moan for today.
FLA88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:08 PM  
Link to this Post
lizzie145
Imagineer

deposit it through a machine and im sure it will be fine
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:15 PM  
Link to this Post
Cocobean121
Imagineer

Can you scan it in to your banking app? I’d do that and keep hold of it in case they reject it later on, sometimes better to deal with tech rather than people. Not sure why the cashier questioned why someone would write a cheque, they’re not obsolete just yet!

Easter 2011 Legacy Park Villa fl. Aug/Sept 2013 Thousand Oaks Villa fl. April 2015 Lake Wilson Preserve Villa fl. May 2017 the sanctuary, West Haven villa Fl.
October 2019 Pier 60 & Highlands Reserve villa fl
May 2020 endless summer and Aventura
Cocobean121 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:19 PM  
Link to this Post
Colette-S
Bon viveur and shopaholic

Colette-S's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
As above, use your banking app. So easy to pay cheques in using the app now. Sounds like the cashier was feeling a bit put out paying it for you but bearing in mind all the recent branch closures you would have thought she was happy you were using the service and keeping her in a job
Colette-S is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Colette-S View Post
As above, use your banking app. So easy to pay cheques in using the app now. Sounds like the cashier was feeling a bit put out paying it for you but bearing in mind all the recent branch closures you would have thought she was happy you were using the service and keeping her in a job
This is a very valid point, I used to pop into my branch every friday afternoon before the school run and pay in maybe 10 - 20 cheques, i used to use the machine in the branch, but would occasionally use the counter if they had no-one waiting

I was then told, Matt, you can use the banking app instead of coming into branch, it'll save us the work

Hmmmmm, if i use a app for it, then everyone else does, guess what, the branch will close, the 2 staff failed to see it
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:48 PM  
Link to this Post
FLA88
Proud to wear my Ears

Thanks for the replies so far, I don't think TSB allow you to pay in via the app. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
FLA88 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Trusty ian
Dibbing with Tink

Mobile

What's a cheque? 😉
Think last time I received a cheque was a few years ago,and wrote one out more than 10 years ago. Still got cheque book from 2007
Trusty ian is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:58 PM  
Link to this Post
scottishgirl87
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by lizzie145 View Post
deposit it through a machine and im sure it will be fine
Would agree with this. I got married earlier this year and already had a joint account with my now husband in my maiden name...I was told by the bank that there was no way I could pay in any cheques made out to “Mr & Mrs Married Name” even although it matched my partners name. Stuck them in a machine to our joint account and cleared no problem.
scottishgirl87 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by FLA88 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far, I don't think TSB allow you to pay in via the app. Hopefully someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
TSB does allow you to pay in cheques via the app. Just done my first one 😆 Look on the bottom click on more then deposit cheque. So much easier than me going to the bank.

Edited at 08:03 PM.
soooexcited! is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
simmofamily
Imagineer

Not all banks have the banking app yet for cheques. Just pay it in throught the CDM within the branch. Usually it's only cheques over £1000 that get checked within branch.