Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 19 Feb 20, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
mickey house
Imagineer

Banning food/drink in Cinemas?

Currently on GMTV they are discussing banning food and drink in cinemas. Personally I hate going to the cinema due to people talking and being on their phones, and generally being disruptive, so food and drink isn't such an issue for me.

The only film I saw at my local cinema last year (which is literally around the corner to me) was Joker. Even then I went midweek when the kids where at school and only about a dozen adults were in the cinema.

The worst it as the theatre when you pay ten times more for a ticket and people are talking during the performance.

Anyway that's my moan for the day, and I'm going to do some work, which happens to be about a 20-30 second drive from my house, so I better get moving in case I hit any traffic

Edited at 09:49 AM.
mickey house is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:51 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

its an absolute nightmare with punters eating / rustling packets / getting up to load up with more

phones & talking drive me nuts as well

but and this is a big but cinemas make more money off the concessions that they do off showing the movies VUE as an example 4.99 a pop ... not much margin in that so they try & flog you all sorts to eat/drink
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 09:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Trinacham
Having Dinner with Goofy

I just watched that too!

The thing that ruined my last cinema experience was a child (who was far too young for the film we were watching, so I don't blame him - he was bored!) jumping across all the seats constantly throughout the film and running up and down. An older man that was with him, I'm guessing his grandfather, did nothing. Other cinema-goers said something to the child in the end. Though I think he still carried on.

Snacking has never bothered me. Most people wait until the noisy bits to rustle their packets.. me included.
Trinacham is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I’d rather ban mobile phones than popcorn.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:07 AM  
Link to this Post
EssexSue
VIP Dibber

Mobile

The smell of some of the food is stomach churning! What happened to the old days of Payne's Poppets? I still remember the advert "If you think she's a poppet buy her a poppet".
I bought some Poppets in Poundland, either they have changed or I have, they were so vile I really struggled to finish the pack.
EssexSue is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

It's the mess that people leave that makes me cross😠. I don't go to the cinema anymore, but I used to take a small bag with me for any rubbish. This was then put in a main bin in the cinema. I do the same when I go to the beach.
Used to love queing up during the interval to buy my snacks from the usherette when I was a child.
JudgeJ26 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
Tetrarch
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
Guidebook Photos: 23
Simple economics will ensure that this never happens.

I recall reading somewhere that popcorn is the most profitable product in the world. Bought by weight and sold by volume - even more profitable than illegal drugs

Once it becomes a habit then it just gets priced at a value which the market will bear

Regards

Gary
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:35 AM  
Link to this Post
SussexFamily
Imagineer

Food isn't an issue, people fidgeting, talking or light 'blooming' from phones is annoying.

Edited at 10:47 AM.
SussexFamily is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:36 AM  
Link to this Post
novocastrian
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tetrarch View Post
Simple economics will ensure that this never happens.

I recall reading somewhere that popcorn is the most profitable product in the world. Bought by weight and sold by volume - even more profitable than illegal drugs

Once it becomes a habit then it just gets priced at a value which the market will bear

Regards

Gary
pop machines are also massively profitable, see above only 10% margin on box office
novocastrian is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Feb 20, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
MillyMoo
Imagineer

Mobile

I normally only go to kids movies these days and to be honest I dont expect it to be quiet because theres kids involved! We wouldnt get through a movie without snacks, and due to cost we cant afford to go to the cinema and buy their ridiculously priced food, so we are rustlers when it comes to popcorn!
MillyMoo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List