Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Closed Thread

Old 22 Mar 15, 03:25 PM  
Link to this Post

Yey ...New York booked :) just need a hotel now!

So excited that we've finally booked our flights.
We've been looking at hotels and are struggling with whether to splash out as it's our anniversary or whether to be sensible.
Have decided as it's our first time midtown is a good base ... Thanks to advise and trip reports on here.
Do we go for it with either waldorf astoria or Trump? The first is much cheaper than the second! Or do we go sensible? At the end of the day it's a place to lay your head?

What do you think?

Jo
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Mar 15, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
jocat
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 67
We had the same conversation for our anniversary trip last year. There were some lovely looking hotels that we seriously considered, but as space is really important to me, we decided to go for a suite in a middle of the range hotel instead, in a more residential location (Upper West Side). We weren't first time visitors though so were happy to look outside of Midtown.

When looking at hotels, we'd decided that we really wanted a room with a sofa to relax if we wanted to, and a fridge for some drinks. The swish looking hotel rooms just hadn't got these things, despite them having more of a 'Wow!' factor overall. It just depends what you're prepared to compromise over, and we discovered that comfort, a sofa and the fridge were more important to us than a 'Wow' look.

You're quite right though - you're only really in the hotel room to sleep. The cheaper one will give you more funds to create fab experiences during your holiday! But if you think that you'll be forever disappointed that you didn't do the Trump, then that may not be worth the compromise to you. I'm not sure anyone can help with that decision, as only you know what is a deal breaker for you. I'm sure you'll have a fab time, whichever you choose.
jocat is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 15, 12:46 AM  
Link to this Post
jdybnsn
Imagineer

If you are intending to do the SOL crown on an early ticket, the Ritz Carlton Battery Park is a great choice and lovely & quiet for NYC. Splash out on a SOL view... and club level, which is actually extremely good value as it includes breakfast, midday & evening snacks (enough for a light meal) and get this, unlimited free beer, wine and champagne (probably Cava in reality) . Expensive, but if you use a cashback site they can result in a hefty saving.

Absolutely LOVE this hotel.

... and if its a special trip, why not treat yourselves to a few days in Bermuda, its stunning ! - and a short hop from JFK with Jet Blue ...check out the Newstead Belmont Hotel.

**GOLD CASTAWAY CAY MEMBERS !**Feb2002- I Drive Feb2004- PORS Feb2006 -Regal Palms/4 Night Disney Wonder Feb2008- Reunion /Disney Magic Western/Omni@CG Feb2010 - Reunion/Disney Magic Eastern/Hammock Beach PalmCoast July2010- Disney Magic 8 Night Dover-Barcelona July2011 Disney Magic10 Night Med.Feb2012-Anna Maria Island/Disney Dream X2/Hyatt GC. May 2014 Disney Fantasy Eastern

Edited at 12:51 AM.
jdybnsn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 15, 10:41 AM  
Link to this Post
Chunky Peanut
slightly serious Dibber

You really wont spend much time at your hotel, but its lovely to have a nice view, i'd recommend having a look at the Executive view rooms at Yotel, they are great.
Chunky Peanut is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Mar 15, 12:56 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

We've booked the Archer hotel on 38th St between Empire State and Times Square, so central but seems it's not quite in the thick of things. It's quite new but has good reviews on tripadvisor, just had a look it's ranked 29 out of 460 in the whole of NY. Got quite a good price on hotels.com, and we're going at the end of August.
Old 23 Mar 15, 01:14 PM  
Link to this Post

We've gone with good view, cost and the fact that we won't be in the room much! We're staying on Long Island City at the Z Hotel... mixed reviews with location on the TA forum as New Yorkers seem to think anything that isn't within sight of a subway is too far to walk!

However, it has great reviews on TA itself and the view of the skyline is gorgeous, plus they have a roof top bar!

If you're unsure, you can often book rooms with cancellable rates on Expedia and then see what comes up/if prices change, but at least you'll know you have a room (or two, or three!) to choose from on your dates!).
Old 3 Apr 15, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
tee1
Imagineer

Mobile

Just returned from the Night Hotel times Sq.
Rooms are small as to be expected but hotel is lovely and clean, literally yards from time Sq.

Would highly recommend.
tee1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 15, 03:20 PM  
Link to this Post

We stayed at ink 48 in January and we are going to book again for this january 2016. We had a city view room. It really was a great view. We do get good rates as we go in January but I also looked on the Internet for discount codes, ended up with 20% off. Can't wait to go back.
Old 3 Apr 15, 06:52 PM  
Link to this Post
kcsunshine73
Imagineer

kcsunshine73's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
The Waldorf is massively overrated imo we stayed there in 2011 and it was cramped and dingy - sure the entrance lobby is swanky, but you can visit that anyway, you want to get somewhere where the staff make you feel known with nice little extras... have a look at somewhere trendy/cool in Soho/Tribeca, like the James - very hip! Walking distance to great breakfast and cocktail bars, restaurants etc - great ones on site too - and you get the village feel that makes it feel like home ... jameshotels/new-york
The other one I'd fancy there is the tribeca Grand, or there's a cool hotel I like the look of in the meatpacking district - van gestoort or something ... I have been looking at length over the last few days ...
Husband and I stayed at the James in November and loved it; free breakfast snacks, free wine and cheese every evening, fruit etc, rooftop pool and bar. We are taking the kids this time, so have booked a cancellable room in the financial district as your money goes further for a 4 person room, but I still may cancel (booked through hotels.com, through quidco so I get cash back ...) if I get somewhere in tribeca for same budget ...
DL SanFrancisco to Anaheim Discovery Aug '23 ; WDW Emerald Isle/Florida Keys Dec'18/Jan'19; Dolphin, NYE 2015 DL HROC - 2013-14 Anaheim/LA/San Diego Tokyo Tokyo Disney Sea -April 2013 WDW - Tuscan Villa, GrandFlo & POFQ - Christmas 2012 WDW - Westridge, DCL Magic, ASMu 2011 DLRP - all the hotels (APHs 2007-2011) DLRP SF - March 2006 - DLRP DCR - August 2005 WDW Kissimmee - June 1984

Edited at 06:57 PM.
kcsunshine73 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 15, 07:06 PM  
Link to this Post
ROO
Imagineer

ROO's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
We are just back, Sunday past & we splashed out as it was DH 50th. We stayed at the Ritz Carlton Central Park & we loved it. I am very, very fussy & I loved everything about this hotel. Room was so quiet but only 15 minutes walk to Time Square, infact most things were within less than 20 minutes walk. Subway to Downtown for us to go see Statue of Liberty, 9/11 & Wall street was directly across the road & took 10 minutes.
Hope you have a great time.