Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Jul 19, 01:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Elmhurst 5
Apprentice Imagineer

As a skier of many years, if you want to ski in April you will need a high resort where the snow is still good or any where with a glacier ski area. If you are driving, the cheapest way to get to the alps, in Austria you must have winter tyres fitted to your car, its a legality. In all resorts you must travel with snow chains. Austria si by far cheaper to eat on the mountain and in town compared to the French resorts. There are also beautiful resorts in Switzerland, my favourite place but its mega expensive to ski in Switzerland.
If you are flying, have a look at Crystal ski, ski solutions where the price includes flights and transfer to the resort. Alternatively, to reduce costs, self catering in an apartment or chalet or catered chalet. With these alternatives you will also need a transfer from whichever airport you fly into price varies but average euros 80pp return.
Also you need the proper outfits and in layers, ie: base layer, mid layer and your jacket. I believe helmets are compulsory for children attending ski school. Ebay a really good source for gear as its your first time skiing.

Do your research and you will find the resort that will suit your family.
Elmhurst 5 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
florida_2012
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by lme30005 View Post
Thinking of going skiing for the first time in early April next year. As we haven't been skiing before with the kids, we need a resort that has other activities apart from skiing. So a family friendly resort with good ski schools, fairly picturesque, and enough snow in early April. I haven't been to any European ski resorts so any recommendations?
Try indoor skiing at one of the UK centres. They are brilliant for a beginner. One day lesson offers come up regularly. We have been to the Manchester one. My son loved his day lesson. I've skiied in France. The indoor, although not the same, compares well.

Edited at 02:46 PM.
florida_2012 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 07:31 PM  
Link to this Post
duchy
Imagineer

I agree in April you need to go high to get decent snow.
Tignes isn't pretty but will have good snow still and lots of activities. Unlike some resorts the nursery slopes aren't part of the ski lift network so you don't need a lift pass for the first few days.
It's quite expensive and you'll find some US ski resorts will be comparably priced.
duchy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
wensleydale6
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
I know its not quite what you are looking for but we have just bagged a fabulous deal for Banff, Canada for March next year - they have also a couple of Feb weeks that are amazing prices too.

They are outside school holidays though.

We have paid £2500 for 10 days skiing and 6 days lift pass - thats flights and accommodation too (for 2 adults). Food is as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it - last year we brought cereals and had that in the room - this year we are B&B!

We have also done Canada - Banff and Jasper - for only a week so it is do-able.

(We actually did Banff for our first ever ski holiday with a 10 year old)

There is no issue with the language barrier, the ski school is amazing and there are plenty of non-ski activites too!

I always think it worth pricing it up - look at the whole price - including lift passes, food etc and then see a)what you want to spend and b)what you are getting for your money.

(I priced up similar accommodation etc in Italy for next year and it was MORE expensive for a week!)

Edited to say that they ski right through to the end of April in (usually) very good conditions so snow cover is not something you usually have to worry about.
Can I ask, who have you booked with?!
wensleydale6 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jul 19, 11:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Borderbairn
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
Seefeld in Austria,
We're in Seefeld right now. It's beautiful.

Southern Dunes 2006 & 2007 Highlands Reserve & Hard Rock Hotel May & Sep 2008 The Sanctuary West Haven 2009 Freedom of the Seas & Doubletree Resort 2010 Highlands Reserve May 2012 Windsor Hills 2014 New York 2016
Borderbairn is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jul 19, 10:37 AM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by wensleydale6 View Post
Can I ask, who have you booked with?!
Crystal Ski.

We have always found them loads cheaper but I know that a couple of other dibbers have used SKi Safari or Ski Independence.

I am very pleased with our price - it is a bit cheaper if you go mid February too!

We are away over Xmas so wanted to spread it out a little.

We havent skied that late before - we always go in January - which can be -30! so hopefully we'll have some good weather!

(we had actually booked with Inghams back in February but even losing our deposit we are saving £300! )
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List