Notices

Old 10 Jun 20, 01:01 PM  
Link to this Post
jothp
Apprentice Imagineer

I know exactly how you feel Abby. One minute I have this hope that it will be alright and we will go and then the next I worry about what will happen if we could go but decide not to. Being sensible I know we don't want to go with the short opening hours at the parks and all the things that are closed or cancelled but I can't help but hope that I wake up one day and find that it has all been a terrible dream.

I know what you mean about work too. Our year sixes are returning to school next week and we should be doing a play and preparing for the leavers service and supporting them through visits to their new schools but we can't do any of that and it feels so wrong.

I hope we all get some news from Disney soon.
jothp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Jun 20, 09:13 PM  
Link to this Post
Leelashpurple
Excited about Disney

I have been having my fingers crossed for you all. I swing from wanting to go on our August trip - cancelling the Disney part but having a much more relaxed time exploring the other parks we have tickets for but no time for (SW, BG) and more time in Universal and even going to the coast and doing Disney next year and then hoping our flights are cancelled. My husband is not a fan of American holidays so this would probably be the last family Florida holiday (I may go back with the girls) so I want to make it a good one, part of me though thinks if I could stretch it across this year and next year it would be fab (although costly).

We have been 'eating around the world' and pairing our meals with relevant Disney music / local bands and quizzes. It is surprising the number of Canadian artists we like! Also having Magical Star cocktails, we even have the light up ice cubes.

I am based in Wales so waiting to hear what our schools plans are for the end of the month. I have been shopping for bits to make Mickey ears and themed T shirts for both Disney park and Universal. It's costing me a bomb!
Leelashpurple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 20, 04:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Chilli cheese waffle fries for me too please.

Not sure what else to say that your plans are still not sorted other than I really do feel for you all.

You are right it’s a weird time, we have 2 weeks of term left and have replaced our fantastic sports day on beach with a virtual event. It’s really odd all the things that feel missing finishing off your year with your class virtually.

I see BA have extended their voucher scheme to the end of August and that Disney are now doing the NBA and MLS. I think it’s a really bad show that they’ve not been in touch with you yet.
Old 11 Jun 20, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Waltdisnae View Post
I can't believe we would have been going in a couple of weeks. it feels unreal. Ironically, we probably wouldn't have been able to go anyway due to health reasons, so I consider us fortunate to have it so clear cut and cancelled. I can't imagine how the uncertainty must feel of whether you will get to go/what it will be like. Hopefully there will be some positive news for you soon.

Chilli cheese waffles sounds lovely, am also enjoying the cocktail photos and thinking of buying a cocktail shaker to join in.
Definitely buy a cocktail shaker, in fact I've got two seriously! I'm going to post some of the food this evening. So, lots of yummy food coming up.

Originally Posted by MrsSilverStar View Post
Oh yes, I’d love some chilli cheese waffle fries right now!
Sorry to hear everything is still up in the air for most people on this thread - Abby, when you listed all the things you should be doing now, it made me so sad for you...so crazy how this year has turned out. Hope everyone gets some clarification as soon as possible.
It's definitely a crazy year. One that we will never forget.

Originally Posted by jothp View Post
I know exactly how you feel Abby. One minute I have this hope that it will be alright and we will go and then the next I worry about what will happen if we could go but decide not to. Being sensible I know we don't want to go with the short opening hours at the parks and all the things that are closed or cancelled but I can't help but hope that I wake up one day and find that it has all been a terrible dream.

I know what you mean about work too. Our year sixes are returning to school next week and we should be doing a play and preparing for the leavers service and supporting them through visits to their new schools but we can't do any of that and it feels so wrong.

I hope we all get some news from Disney soon.
It's a rollercoaster of emotions and most of the time I've no idea what I actually want. I'm so sad the year 6s don't get to have their normal traditions what a shame.

Originally Posted by Leelashpurple View Post
I have been having my fingers crossed for you all. I swing from wanting to go on our August trip - cancelling the Disney part but having a much more relaxed time exploring the other parks we have tickets for but no time for (SW, BG) and more time in Universal and even going to the coast and doing Disney next year and then hoping our flights are cancelled. My husband is not a fan of American holidays so this would probably be the last family Florida holiday (I may go back with the girls) so I want to make it a good one, part of me though thinks if I could stretch it across this year and next year it would be fab (although costly).

We have been 'eating around the world' and pairing our meals with relevant Disney music / local bands and quizzes. It is surprising the number of Canadian artists we like! Also having Magical Star cocktails, we even have the light up ice cubes.

I am based in Wales so waiting to hear what our schools plans are for the end of the month. I have been shopping for bits to make Mickey ears and themed T shirts for both Disney park and Universal. It's costing me a bomb!
That's exactly the same as me, swinging between different ideas of a holiday and not sure which to go for. Great idea to do the music and quizzes too alongside your eating around the world, I'm not sure Dave would be up for that though. Hurrah you're having magical stars! Please take a photo and share with us! I'd so love to see it. I've also got a bunch of glow cubes but I don't bother with putting them in the glasses, which is silly as they are cute.

Originally Posted by Rescuer View Post
Chilli cheese waffle fries for me too please.

Not sure what else to say that your plans are still not sorted other than I really do feel for you all.

You are right it’s a weird time, we have 2 weeks of term left and have replaced our fantastic sports day on beach with a virtual event. It’s really odd all the things that feel missing finishing off your year with your class virtually.

I see BA have extended their voucher scheme to the end of August and that Disney are now doing the NBA and MLS. I think it’s a really bad show that they’ve not been in touch with you yet.
Chilli cheese waffle fries are coming up! It's very un-Disney of them to have not shared any updates it feels a long time since the announcements and we all thought the email confirmation for UK guests would come much more quickly.

We are going to do a virtual sports day, with challenges for staff and students. Normally we have 'retro' events in the morning, so egg and spoon race, sack race, can shy and other really fun things to get everyone involved and then the 'traditional' running track events in the afternoon. So, I think the plan is for everyone to do an obstacle course or sack race in their garden and film it.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 20, 07:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Disney Inspired Food (mostly)

Well it's no wonder you're all starving and desperate to see the waffle fries as I haven't posted a food photo in ages. The last round included the dole whip. So, there are lots of things to share here, which is great fun for me and hopefully for you too.

I'm ignoring the elephant in the room as I have no idea what to do about the trip and still no word from Disney

Apart from to post this which was the plan Kate and me made before we did our FP, which Disney then took away from us so there's no point in updating you with what we got.

I do love a post-it note!

Ok onto happier things. And I'm having to go back to VE day for the first bunch of photos. We had a socially distanced street party. There are 8 houses in our cul-de-sac.

I made sausage rolls, well I say made when really all I did was put frozen one's in the oven

But I did actually make some scones.

Also, I'd taken some photos of my glassware, which I'm sure you're all keen to see but Colette admired my glasses. So here goes with some of those. Don't say I don't treat you well you don't get this sort of magic on other threads

Right then, here we have my grandmothers wine glasses on the bottom row, top left are the glasses I use for mulled wine, centre are the mule tankards and right are port glasses.

Next up bottom left are cocktail glasses, bottom right are my margarita glasses. Top row tumblers for short drinks like a G&T.

A real mix in here of some tumblers for long drinks such as mojito's and the like plus the odd large goblet wine glass and white wine glasses and champagne flutes on the top.

All of those are for 'special occasions' not really every day drinks

This is the last photo of cupboards and here are the glasses the kids are allowed to use they like to put milkshakes in the resort mugs.

Right back to food, one of my neighbours left a little parcel on our doorstep after the VE day celebrations.

This was really yummy brownies.

We had them with some of our leftover scones, sorry about the poor lighting

Ah I'd forgotten about these, we had some breakfast bagels with egg. Very tasty.

Time for the first cocktail, now this is a margarita I can that from the glass, some of these photos are from a while ago and I'm going to have to try and remember what they are!

I've got a couple of sweet treats next. Max has had nothing to do with no GCSE work and so he made quite a few batches of Rocky Road.

And some chocolate marble cup cakes, but the marble effect didn't really work

Back to a cocktail. This is definitely a mojito as lots of lime and mint, plus bacardi in the background.

Ooh now this is a good one, I wanted to make some Plaza inspired ice cream sundaes. So we had brownies, vanilla ice cream, homemade hot fudge sauce and m&m's. They were tasty. But I'm ashamed to say I don't have sundae glasses so we used normal glasses.

Back to the cocktails and I'd been wanting to try and make a Hurricane (as it's 5 o'clock somewhere). This was my first attempt at these and it was good, I'm not a massive fan of juice heavy cocktails as I find them a bit sickly but this is one we always have at the Hard Rock Cafe.

And another first attempt at a tequila sunrise, which was always my mum's favourite drink to have on family holidays to Spain. It was ok, I'm not sure I'd bother again, not my favourite drink.

And because we had the grenadine Kate made herself a Shirley Temple.

All of those cocktails were made over half term, you're going to see a distinct lack of cocktails from now on as it's school time. And this was also when I wanted to try out making pulled pork, another first. I did it in the slow cooker.

This was day 1 of pulled pork, in sandwiches with sweet and normal potato wedges.

Shockingly blurry photo, just like a food report, we've had very dark poor lighting and blurry, the only thing you haven't had in this post is an empty plate photo!

Day 2 of pulled pork was on fries, going for the Flametree BBQ snack, but we had it for dinner.

This was all the leftover pulled pork.

So, the final day of pulled pork was on nachos with melted cheese, guacamole, sour cream and salsa and boy was this good. I did two bags of nachos and there were two platefuls and we ate every last bit of it!

The cocktail was a cosmopolitan.

And we watched Episode 3 of Star Wars. We've already done all 3 of the original trilogy so now we've finished the next set and we are going to watch the most recent movies too.

And I bet you're wondering where the chilli cheese waffle fries are! Well, finally here you go.

Along with a fire whisky.

That brings our corona food diary up to date. I hope you enjoyed looking at all the photos, some Disney inspired, some not so much!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 20, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Waltdisnae
Getting Excited

Mobile

Wow, glassware envy here! I have ordered my cocktail shaker though it doesn't arrive till Monday. Not the best night to start my cocktail exploration but never mind.

I love the look of the ice cream sundaes and the chilli waffle fries, definitely ones to recreate. My daughter had a go at Eight spoon cafe macaroni cheese with sweet chilli sauce and Mr Kamalsesque fries. No photos, but was great. We then watched Up and obviously I had a good cry 😭.

Thanks for the inspiration.
Waltdisnae is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 Jun 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Buggles94
VIP Dibber

Buggles94's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 5
Serious food envy going on especially all the sweet treats! Those ice cream sundaes look delicious - my first "meal" in WDW last year was a chocolate brownie sundae in Magic Kingdom. Thanks so much for continuing to bring Disney magic in to our homes Abby. Hope lots of other people share their pics
Buggles94 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Rescuer
VIP Dibber

Rescuer's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Mobile

Definite food envy. I’m adding Disney cooking to my list of things to do over my 6 week staycation and I am totally going to order ice cream and make cookies to finally have an ice cream cookie sandwich! I also fancied making the carrot cake cookie from HS. Thanks for the inspiration.
The only remotely holiday tasting food we’ve, well Joe made it, done was an apple an cinnamon cake which tasted just like the apple fritters from voodoo.
I also have some more Disney art in my plan.
Old 13 Jun 20, 10:04 AM  
Link to this Post
collybird
Imagineer

Mobile

I have decided I am not going to address the elephant in the room as he and I aren't on good terms. This is very uncharacteristic for me as I am a fixer but this is not a normal situation. I feel as though our trips are akin to that poor woman who lost her house to the sea the other week. Every day a little bit crumbles away and we are watching helplessly. What might happen eventually is just too much. Well, that was more than I wanted to say on the subject!

The glass collection gave me a giggle, particularly that there is a section with the ones the kids are allowed to use.

Food looks fab as always, I am definitely going to try some chilli cheese fries.
collybird is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 13 Jun 20, 12:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Kat11
VIP Dibber

I just thought I’d let you Guys know because I’ve mentioned it previously. My mums been having chemo since March and she had a scan two weeks ago to see how it’s going. Well, it couldn’t have gone any better! It’s all gone! There’s a little still in the spine but the doctor said that will go in the last couple of sessions but it’s stable anyway! She still has to carry on with the Herceptin injections for the forceable, which will hopefully keep it from returning. We are so relived. 😍😍

Thought I’d mention it as it’s some positive news within all this uncertainty. 👏🏼

Kat
WDW: Onsite: HRH/POFQ - October 2019
WDW: Partner Hotel: Hilton LBV @ DS & RPR - April 2022
DLC: LA - San Fran inc: DLC & Universal - Aug/Sept 2023
Kat11 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List