Notices
ADR's, Dining, Food and Restaurants Anything and Everything to do with Eating.

Old 12 Jun 20, 02:41 PM  
Link to this Post
Theming
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It's funny, isn't it.

They'll be some threads at other times of the year where people will be adamant that, yes, free dining is free. When others try to argue that you pay more for the room (i.e. the full price top rack rate) than at other times and so it isn't really free, they'll argue it is free because it's the same price before free dining is offered. So it costs no more than at other times of year.

And then there are threads like this one where people argue that it isn't really free because it's an incentive to pay the top rack rate. And therefore they expect some sort of compensation for the loss of the "not-really-free" dining plan they had and the increased costs they will now have to endure.

Guests used to get fastpasses for free with their tickets. I wonder whether we'll get a discount on the ticket price due to the removal of fastpasses?
I’ve no idea what people have or haven’t said regarding free dining in the past. I have always known I could likely find rooms cheaper closer to travelling but have made the informed decision that even at full price rack rate it works out cheaper for me and my family to book that and not have to pay for food/drinks/snacks whilst there. As I say, doesn’t work for everyone but always has for us. 35% off full priced rooms doesn’t cover the cost of eating and drinking whilst there. I’m not expecting compensation but have been given the right to cancel so will be taking that. Nobody else has to do the same, this is a discussion forum where people are giving their opinions and sharing their experiences.
Theming is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 02:43 PM  
Link to this Post
PeachyLemons
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by LW2412 View Post
Is this the update from Disney? We’re booked through Ocean Florida who are still waiting for an update from them 🤞🙏
This is the announcement from attractiontickets.com. I booked with them and the discount has been applied to our holiday.

Disney Dining Plan Cancellation
Unfortunately Walt Disney World has taken the difficult decision to cancel all dining plans, including those which were booked on the Free Disney Dining and Drinks offer.

Bookings with a paid Disney Dining Plan: This element has been removed from your booking and the total price adjusted accordingly.

For customers booked on the 2020 Free Disney Dining and Drinks offer: Free Dine has been removed from your booking. You will receive a 35% discount on your room price which has already been applied to your booking (Discount does not apply to tickets and will only be applied to the room price).

Edited at 02:45 PM.
PeachyLemons is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 02:46 PM  
Link to this Post
LW2412
Trainee Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by PeachyLemons View Post
This is the announcement from attractiontickets.com. I booked with them and the discount has been applied to our holiday.

Disney Dining Plan Cancellation
Unfortunately Walt Disney World has taken the difficult decision to cancel all dining plans, including those which were booked on the Free Disney Dining and Drinks offer.

Bookings with a paid Disney Dining Plan: This element has been removed from your booking and the total price adjusted accordingly.

For customers booked on the 2020 Free Disney Dining and Drinks offer: Free Dine has been removed from your booking. You will receive a 35% discount on your room price which has already been applied to your booking (Discount does not apply to tickets and will only be applied to the room price).
Thankyou! I wonder if that’s what they received from Disney or if they booked via the US site like someone else mentioned. I’m just wondering whether this is the same info that we’ll get from Ocean Florida. I just want to know what’s going on 🤣
LW2412 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 02:49 PM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by Nimbus View Post
It's funny, isn't it.

They'll be some threads at other times of the year where people will be adamant that, yes, free dining is free. When others try to argue that you pay more for the room (i.e. the full price top rack rate) than at other times and so it isn't really free, they'll argue it is free because it's the same price before free dining is offered. So it costs no more than at other times of year.

And then there are threads like this one where people argue that it isn't really free because it's an incentive to pay the top rack rate. And therefore they expect some sort of compensation for the loss of the "not-really-free" dining plan they had and the increased costs they will now have to endure.

Guests used to get fastpasses for free with their tickets. I wonder whether we'll get a discount on the ticket price due to the removal of fastpasses?
It's a little funny to me to see the word 'free', because Disney doesn't give anything away to anyone, ever. Their hotel rates are all higher than industry standards, at least in the US. The dining plan at Disney has a very narrow market. We've never been tempted by it, because the quality of the food isn't anything special for its price. We like to go off-site for some variety.
However, I can see how it would be tempting to visitors who want to stay in the bubble the entire time.
Maybe the DDP will come back for 2021? They haven't categorically stated it won't yet.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 02:53 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

At least some have been offered a discount. Some of us simply never got that option...
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 02:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Duwsh
Helping Minnie

Originally Posted by Kev Harrison View Post
Why does everyone call it free dining, yet want a 35% discount?

35% discount is a great offer on something that is free.
Probably because for a lot of people the DDP is a reason they can afford to go to Disney World, or at least lessens the blow.
March 21 - DLP
September 21 - WDW
Duwsh is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 03:03 PM  
Link to this Post
Leelashpurple
Excited about Disney

We have decided not to do Disney this year and will go next year. We booked in Beach Club with DDP. The DDP worked for us with 4 adults in a room (although 2 of these are Disney adults at 11 & 14)! and a desire to do character dining.

I'm asking for a price for dates next year but if there is no DDP would possibly stay at a moderate instead. Not sure whether to move my booking to a moderate at the same time or to stick with BC at this date and downgrade (if there is availability) at a later date,
Leelashpurple is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 03:06 PM  
Link to this Post
MarkUK
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Kev Harrison View Post
Why does everyone call it free dining, yet want a 35% discount?

35% discount is a great offer on something that is free.
I was asking the same earlier on. I assume the reason is that although it’s offered for FREE it is actually factored into the room rate cost and thus people were prepared to pay in excess of the rack rate because it included meals. Nothing is ever free!
MarkUK is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 03:09 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by Duwsh View Post
Probably because for a lot of people the DDP is a reason they can afford to go to Disney World, or at least lessens the blow.
To be honest, it's a lot cheaper to stay offsite and eat offsite than to stay onsite with free dining (or, at least, it is for us). I could go and visit Disney World for a lot less than staying onsite with free dining. So free DDP probably isn't the reason why most people can afford to go to Disney World. Instead, free DDP is usually the reason why people can afford to stay onsite at Disney World.

~ Trip Report Indexes ~

Edited at 03:19 PM.
Nimbus is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jun 20, 03:16 PM  
Link to this Post
lam
VIP Dibber

We already moved our July 2020 holiday to july 2021.
We were in POR preferred room and the 35% would have just covered our free qdsp as there were only 2 of us staying for 5 days.

I'm glad we moved to 2021 as theres no way I'd consider going July this year. Too much uncertainty and we dont even know if we can fly to Orlando! OR be quarantined if we ever get there!
I also think they have a bit of a cheek charging us full whack for tickets when the holiday we'll get is clearly sub-standard compared to what was originally booked.

Despite this, we love Disney and really miss not going as it will be 3 years before our last trip if we go july 2021.

With that in mind, we've provisionally booked Xmas and may go then IF we can get tickets. If we can't, maybe they're doing me a favour as we just wont go.

If theres no incentives or free dining for july 2021 we will either downgrade to a value, stay offsite or just do universal and seaworld.

And thats that!

3/01-Sheraton 4 Pts & WDW Contemporary.7/07-DLP Sequoia. 3/08-WDW Pop & POFQ. 7/08-DLP Sequoia.4/09, 3/10 & 4/11-WDW AKV, 7/11- Doubletree@Seaworld & AKV -03/12, 3/13- WDW AKV 8/14 [I]Cabana Bay,OKW & AKV.07/15-BVP,BLT & AKV07/17-POR,BLT & AKV.07/18-AKV-Jambo,Cabana Bay Beach, Beacon Hotel,New York..07/20TRIP CANCELLED- 10/21-Cheyenne,DLP-7/22-AKV, Coronado & Poly.12/23-AKV, POR,BLT &ASM

Edited at 03:19 PM.
lam is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List