Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 8 Nov 20, 07:59 PM  
Link to this Post
TigerMom
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by MariaLynda View Post
I buy the branded ones in the blue packet. Call me a snob if you want but I definitely think they perform better.
You are not a snob but you are imagining things. All you are getting extra in the branded ones is better packaging. The chemical composition of both is exactly the same.
TigerMom is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 08:03 PM  
Link to this Post
buryboy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by TigerMom View Post
You are not a snob but you are imagining things. All you are getting extra in the branded ones is better packaging. The chemical composition of both is exactly the same.
I watched a TV programme all about this - ironically on the TV while at the hospital - and they had loads of experts on and they all said the same thing

That is , the brand is irrelevant , don’t waste your money on named brands , just get whatever is cheapest as they are all technically identical
Our MOST ANNOYING trip to Tenerife February 2018 ( an homage to infamous dibb threads
buryboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

It's the base compound, (the chalky substance) which the drug is put into that makes the difference, which is why many people quite rightly say the generic version does not work as effctively as the proprietry brand.
Old 8 Nov 20, 08:43 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Sounds like wine and cheese snobs. Buy decent stuff but don't go over the top as it's all a con.

Asda ones are fine by me as are Wilko, The Range et al.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
WhereIBelong
Imagineer

The chemical composition of the active drug is identical, the ballast is not. I can take our pharmacy tablets if it is one lo-cost version, but not if another, it reacts differently to water in the mouth and tastes awful whilst sticking. Others feel exactly the same as me and only buy if we have the "good" brand in. (They cost the same... no snobbery involved)
WhereIBelong is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Nov 20, 11:55 PM  
Link to this Post
greekgranny
Imagineer

Originally Posted by greekgranny View Post
It's the base compound, (the chalky substance) which the drug is put into that makes the difference, which is why many people quite rightly say the generic version does not work as effctively as the proprietry brand.
Originally Posted by WhereIBelong View Post
The chemical composition of the active drug is identical, the ballast is not. I can take our pharmacy tablets if it is one lo-cost version, but not if another, it reacts differently to water in the mouth and tastes awful whilst sticking. Others feel exactly the same as me and only buy if we have the "good" brand in. (They cost the same... no snobbery involved)
Agree totally
Old 9 Nov 20, 08:59 AM  
Link to this Post
Leggibone
Imagineer

Mobile

We commented this in sainsburies at the weekend - 75p each for both basic paracetamol and ibruprofen, we go through a fair amount of paracetamol over time for always have it in the cupboard, but I haven’t bought it in a while!

I tend to go for the ‘propriety’ brand too for when I’m out and about - just seems to work quicker, and if I’m using it out my bag I want to work as quick as possible! Not snobbery at all - would go for an own brand fast acting one if I saw it!
2014 - Rosen Inn International, Hard Rock Hotel, Yacht club and Bay Lake Tower! Mr Bears Grand Adventure, 2015- A sneaky to DLP- Sequoia Lodge, 2016- Another WDW trip... BLT, AKL, HRH and Rosen Inn - Mr Bear takes Boris to WDW, 2022 - Taking the small fry…. Coronado spring addition, 2024 - Riding solo?
Leggibone is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 01:59 PM  
Link to this Post
Hopefulholiday
Very Serious Dibber

Hopefulholiday's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
That’s interesting about the difference in the ballast, I have wondered if branded tablets were different when the active ingredients were the same. I never find paracetamol does much for me it’s either ibuprofen or Syndol for a cracking headache - now they are expensive but effective.
I’ve never really looked at painkillers abroad, are there restrictions on bringing back the big packs?
June/July 2019: New York, Riu Plaza & Orlando, villa Sunset Lakes, HRH
Hopefulholiday is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 02:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by Hopefulholiday View Post
That’s interesting about the difference in the ballast, I have wondered if branded tablets were different when the active ingredients were the same. I never find paracetamol does much for me it’s either ibuprofen or Syndol for a cracking headache - now they are expensive but effective.
I’ve never really looked at painkillers abroad, are there restrictions on bringing back the big packs?
No restrictions on what you bring back.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Nov 20, 05:19 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

The placebo effect is real though...

People report better results from branded medications despite them being chemically identical. The placebo effect is the only explanation but if it works, it works...