Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Closed Thread

Old 14 Oct 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tspill View Post
So you dont think people can buy things for their own enjoyment?

I have a private plate and there was not a single element of the decision related to this stereotype. What others think of me is of less than zero interest to me.
However, I can see how this can be assumed - like fashion and so many other things.
I personally wouldn't want to have to cope with pleasing others in all sorts of pointless ways. And I do agree a pp is completely meaningless in reality - but i could afford it and liked it.
Of course, but the question is about what I think about the owner just based on the pp.

I used to have one myself at one time but I still have the same thought the first time I see one. It's a stereotype.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 07:49 PM  
Link to this Post
kevin_cambs_uk
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by barryp1 View Post
This thread is wonderful.

So many people exposing their shallow humanity.

I've just bought a new car, 14 months old because it's stupid to buy new, and never considered adding a different number plate but now I'm scanning the options available.
I bought my car from new , just 19 miles on the clock but I would not consider myself stupid!
2000 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2002 - Ho Jo Maingate West. 2003 - Caribbean Beach. 2004 - Forgot where we stayed. 2008 - Pop Century. 2012 - Disneyland Paris for the day. 2015 - Contemporary Resort - 7 days, POFQ - 3 days. 2016 Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea. 2018 Contemporary and Wilderness Lodge
kevin_cambs_uk is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:01 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Pinchy View Post
The personal plate thing is interesting to me as the stereotypical pp owner gets the same reaction regardless of how rich they are. It's down to the type of person. IMO of course.
My friend's money was self made, not won or inherited so from my experience I disagree, money can change people - especially that amount.

It's interesting that you equate personal plates to people being 'rich' considering that there are so many of them that cost just £244, I also don't agree that it's a narcissistic trait.

I'm a narcissist, I admit that, I enjoy being the centre of attention (in some scenarios anyway) BUT I didn't buy a personal plate to draw attention to myself, neither is it why I'm considering another, I bought mine because I thought it was cute spelling out Beetle, on a Beetle, it made me smile seeing it on the car, I couldn't have cared less what others thought of it, the big butterfly motif on the side of it also made me smile, and that only cost around £25, I'm sure some people would have found it quite ugly, I loved looking at it.

If I buy another, my main motivation will be to personalise my car to me as it's pretty generic, not to draw attention, I prefer to draw attention to myself with my personality, love it or hate it, really doesn't phase me, I am who I am and I'm quite comfortable with that.

I just don't see the connection between personal plates and narcissism, lots of introverted people I know have them.

Wild Africa Trek photo report

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by PoohBears#1fan View Post
I'm a narcissist, I admit that, I enjoy being the centre of attention ...
Be careful about describing yourself as a narcissist. I don’t think it’s a trait you would want to ascribe to yourself. A true narcissist is a wrecker of lives, a real parasite. Being the centre of attention isn’t necessarily narcissistic.
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Omega1 View Post
Be careful about describing yourself as a narcissist. I don’t think it’s a trait you would want to ascribe to yourself. A true narcissist is a wrecker of lives, a real parasite. Being the centre of attention isn’t necessarily narcissistic.
Really? Well I never knew that, I'd better retract that then! I've always thought of it as someone who likes being the centre of attention!

PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Really? Well I never knew that, I'd better retract that then! I've always thought of it as someone who likes being the centre of attention!
Sorry, I didn’t want to seem pedantic but narcissism is a complex personality flaw and narcissists would not have the self awareness to describe themselves as such - iykwim! Folk who like to be be the centre of attention are comparatively harmless!
Omega1 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:25 PM  
Link to this Post
Pinchy
Imagineer

My friend's money was self made, not won or inherited so from my experience I disagree, money can change people - especially that amount.

It's interesting that you equate personal plates to people being 'rich' considering that there are so many of them that cost just £244, I also don't agree that it's a narcissistic trait.

I'm a narcissist, I admit that, I enjoy being the centre of attention (in some scenarios anyway) BUT I didn't buy a personal plate to draw attention to myself, neither is it why I'm considering another, I bought mine because I thought it was cute spelling out Beetle, on a Beetle, it made me smile seeing it on the car, I couldn't have cared less what others thought of it, the big butterfly motif on the side of it also made me smile, and that only cost around £25, I'm sure some people would have found it quite ugly, I loved looking at it.

If I buy another, my main motivation will be to personalise my car to me as it's pretty generic, not to draw attention, I prefer to draw attention to myself with my personality, love it or hate it, really doesn't phase me, I am who I am and I'm quite comfortable with that.

I just don't see the connection between personal plates and narcissism, lots of introverted people I know have them.
I'm not sure that I introduced the rich thing but anyway for me it's more about the stereotype than whether the stereotype is justified.

Interesting about money changing people. My experience maybe not so typical?

I'm not sure you mean narcissism. But I do think introverted people would have them as it's a chance to be showy without them having to do it personally. Actually quite a good way for an introvert to express themselves.
Pinchy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:26 PM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

I’m here!
This thread got me thinking. A lot of the chat is about what is important to people - cherished plates, holidays, watches, handbags, etc.
For me, it’s family, health and travel - in that order. Couldn’t give a **** about personal possessions really. My family say I’m a nightmare to buy presents for, it seems I never want anything!
In fairness all of those are contained in Marlow's Hierarchy of Needs...and for everyone family and health is above personal possessions.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Oct 18, 08:28 PM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Sorry, I didn’t want to seem pedantic but narcissism is a complex personality flaw and narcissists would not have the self awareness to describe themselves as such - iykwim! Folk who like to be be the centre of attention are comparatively harmless!
I don't have an issue with grammar pedants at all, have been accused of it myself many times, more than happy to be corrected / educated

Old 14 Oct 18, 08:30 PM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
In fairness all of those are contained in Marlow's Hierarchy of Needs...and for everyone family and health is above personal possessions.
Maslow must have had it right then - but I didn’t need to study Maslow to tell me what drives me!
Closed Thread