Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 23 Nov 19, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
mike4scuba
Imagineer

mike4scuba's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Staying over in new york

We can get a direct flight back to Manchester 6th Oct 2020 but no direct out going
We can go via New York with a couple of hours lay over.

Or we could stay in New York for 5 to 7 days then go to orlando for 2 weeks

Question is can anyone recommend a good hotel to stay out and is it easy enough getting to and from the airport using rail links

Edited at 06:04 PM.
mike4scuba is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 05:30 PM  
Link to this Post
stanleycamel
VIP Dibber

stanleycamel's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Are you working on any sort of budget for NYC and what month are you hoping to stay - as it will help with suggestions.
stanleycamel is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 05:50 PM  
Link to this Post

do the couple of hours

if you think disney are always after your wallet, they have nothing on NY
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 05:52 PM  
Link to this Post
tinkerella123
Imagineer

Mobile

Personally 5 days is to long for a New York trip, even on our first trip we glad we only stayed for 3 days, if I was going again I would stay near the Airport and get the train into Manhattan, hotels are expensive in and around Times Square etc.
tinkerella123 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 06:43 PM  
Link to this Post
galaxyflorida
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by tinkerella123 View Post
Personally 5 days is to long for a New York trip, even on our first trip we glad we only stayed for 3 days, if I was going again I would stay near the Airport and get the train into Manhattan, hotels are expensive in and around Times Square etc.
I personally think 5 days is just about the right amount of time for NY, at least for the first time. There are good subway/rail links into Manhattan, think it's about $7 each from JFK to Times Square. Alternatively a yellow cab is a flat rate of $52 +tips.

If you're looking to save money definitely don't stay in Times Square but then you might feel you're "missing out". There are deals out there.

Orlando I-Drive April 2010, July 2017
New York and Washington October 2016
New York and Toronto July 2019
galaxyflorida is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 07:12 PM  
Link to this Post
Noodle500
Imagineer

We're stopping in New York on our return next August. We could only get a virgin reward flight from either Atlanta or New York. Decided New York but I said while we're there I would love to see Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building. So we've booked 2 nights via Virgin Holidays hotel only at Sheraton Times Square cost £424 for two nights 3 people.
I know there is a fair few things you can experience for free but I've decided to get a two attraction pass £50 each to visit Intrepid Museum (DH and DS love planes and space) and either Top of the Rock or Empire State Building
Noodle500 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 07:28 PM  
Link to this Post
wensleydale6
Excited about Disney

Mobile

You can easily fill 5 days in New York, you can blitz the must see’s in 3 days but it’s hard work and you won’t enjoy it as much, walk as much as you can, take in the different neighborhoods by foot, we love it. And like most holidays it can expensive as you want to make it!
wensleydale6 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 08:02 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
Originally Posted by Noodle500 View Post
We're stopping in New York on our return next August. We could only get a virgin reward flight from either Atlanta or New York. Decided New York but I said while we're there I would love to see Statue of Liberty and Empire State Building. So we've booked 2 nights via Virgin Holidays hotel only at Sheraton Times Square cost £424 for two nights 3 people.
I know there is a fair few things you can experience for free but I've decided to get a two attraction pass £50 each to visit Intrepid Museum (DH and DS love planes and space) and either Top of the Rock or Empire State Building
We stayed at the Sheraton when we did NYC before Orlando in 2017. It's a fab location. We had 4 nights there and really enjoyed it.

For the OP...there's loads to do in the city and it doesn't have to cost lots of money. I actually thought it was pretty reasonable to go up the Statue of Liberty was about £20 each. We got the NYC explorer pass for 3 attractions and used it for the Ride (totally awesome) and we also went up the Empire State and Top of the Rock. Central Park is free and is great to look around, we hired a row boat which was fun. There are cheaper places to eat, as well as more expensive, we tended to stick with hotdogs or pizza slices for lunch and ate out for dinner. We had a meal at Juniors and the cheesecake was fab it was around $130 for mains, desserts and a bottle of wine. Not too bad really.

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Mumtotwo
slightly serious Dibber

We stopped in Boston and then NY for a few days before flying down to Orlando and loved it. It was good to do some sightseeing in NY. We stayed at the Hyatt Centric Times Square which was a lovely hotel and close to all amenities.
Mumtotwo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Nov 19, 10:05 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Noodle500 View Post
Great hotel - we stayed there last time. Fab diner - Lindy's - right next door for breakfast, and Rosie O'Gradys is just across the road. 10 min walk up the street is the bottom of Central Park, and 10 min walk down the street is the main part of Times Square. You can walk most places from the Sheraton - we walked from the hotel across to the Intrepid Museum, took a while but its a straight walk there was plenty to see.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure & POR Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List