Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 15 Jul 21, 07:51 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Updates at the Stunning teamLab Borderless Digital Art Galleries in Odiaba, Tokyo

One of the best surprises about our May 2019 trip to Tokyo, was going to the teamLab Boarderless "digital art" installation in Odiaba - one of two they have in that area, the other call teamLab Planets.

They are a series of rooms, some huge and some smaller, where there are projected displays that react to your touch a lot of the time.

Now speaking as someone who had to be dragged to go there, I was blown away about how amazing it was!

Well we only did Boarderless (found out about Planets after we got home!) but it was one of the highlights of the holiday for me.

Well both installations have had updates / new exhibits added and I strongly recommend anyone planning a trip to Tokyo to take one or both in - they are a 45 mins walk from each other, or 10/15 mins on the light railway line around the area.

Here are links to both sites, scroll down a bit to the What's New.

planets.teamlab.art/tokyo/

borderless.teamlab.art/

The Boarderless exhibition has recently won the Guinness World Record for most visited single art museum in the world, taking the crown from the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam.

timeout/tokyo/news/t...-museum-071421

If you are planning a visit you have to buy your tickets online before you visit, they do not sell them on the door, and I recommend trying to get your slot as the place opens as this was the queue to get in (with tickets!) when we came out:

You may not tell on the picture but it goes along the side of that building on the right, and then takes a left and goes out of the picture. I think the queue builds up as people spend so much longer in there, exploring, than they expected.

The main exhibits are great fun for kids too, but there is (in Boarderless at least) a Sketch Factory - an area where kids can draw things, that get scanned in and join the art floating on the walls. You can even buy the design and have printed on a t-shirt.

The whole Odiaba area is a great day out, apart from the teamLab places there are a 3 huge malls, a Ferris Wheel, Megaweb Toyota City Showcase (think museum / showroom / interactive displays and I think they did test drives on indoor track for kids!), and a man made beach that was a nice walk. We did a full day in that area.

Also worth knowing is that there is a Hilton there too, far enough from the city to have bigger rooms and better prices but only 35 mins away from Disney on the train, or 35 mins to places like Tokyo Tower.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jul 21, 09:19 AM  
Link to this Post
soraia
Very Serious Dibber

Ah lovely!

I remember teamLab Borderless was one of the highlights of our Japan trip back in 2018. I hadn't heard much about it beforehand but was blown away.

Good to know there have been some updates - would definitely return again and, as you say, there is plenty to do in Odaiba to keep you busy for a full day. I remember we even took a water bus from Odaiba to (I think) Asakusa and that was lovely as well. It was a beautiful day and you could see for miles in every direction.
soraia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 21, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Noooooo - Boarderless will close next year in Odiaba but reopen in city centre at a later date.The last day of opening will be on August 31 2022.

timeout/tokyo/news/t...fH9YIOKSHMtA9o
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List