VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Newport Bay for Christmas - Day 2

Last night we’d decided not to set an alarm, and just take our time this morning, so we woke up about 8.30am to a very cold but dry day. We don’t eat big breakfasts so we’d taken wrapped croissants, choc waffles and sachets of latte etc with us, and had breakfast in bed before wrapping ourselves up and setting off for Disneyland Park.

The hotel lobby was madly busy again as we walked through! We stopped of for a couple of Marvel photos outside the New York hotel and went through security at the Village entrance - the Village looked very Christmassy with food market stalls which opened later in the day, and we were heading to the park when H suddenly decided to ‘take a short cut’ through the crowds coming out of the railway station - I had to follow her as she couldn’t hear me, and we were now stuck in a massive queue to go through another security check as we weren’t allowed back out the way we went in! Things were frosty for a while - and I don’t mean the weather - till we finally got into the park!

Happily as we finally entered the park, Mickey, Minnie and all the gang walked towards us after ending their photo session, and immediately after seeing them we managed to get a private ride down Main Street in the Paddy Wagon.

We headed towards Discoveryland and went on Star Tours which said 20 mins but was actually a walk on, followed by Philharmagic which I love and where we were surprised by an additional scene from Coco! There were only about 50 people in the huge theatre, but it's tucked away and they don't seem to make a big thing of this show.
We walked over to Frontierland for Big Thunder Mountain and were on and off within 20 minutes - we must have just timed it right as when we came off the queue was quite long. We then had a visit to Phantom Manor and a wander round the graveyard, then into the shops.

We had planned to try to see the Lion King show, and if needed pay for an express pass another day - but we arrived there 20 mins before it started and got in with no problem, although the theatre was full by the time it started, and what a great show, it's like a west end production rather than the one at WDW. I do hate the bench seats with no backs on though - must be an age thing! We were getting hungry but we had a late afternoon reservation so didn’t want to eat and spoil our appetites.
Pirates was next on our way round to Agrabah Cafe for our very late lunch, early dinner . We haven’t eaten there before and the buffet is Moroccan / Mediterranean - which we both enjoyed and were ready for. The theming is really great - very like the Moroccan pavilion in Epcot.

After eating we, maybe unwisely, went on the Teacups and the Carousel where H got stuck on her horse at the end and I had to get her off 🤣 then we bought a couple of Christmas ornaments in the Castle crystal shop, before wandering through the shops up Main Street - the park was closing at 7pm - and making our way back to the hotel for baths, hot drinks and snacks.

I have to say, we didn't find wearing masks all day much of a problem apart from the steamed up glasses at times (we only took them off to eat; when we were in our room or for the very occasional outside photo) and they did keep our faces warm

Edited at 03:34 PM.
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 04:54 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Another lovely day, the park looks beautiful all decorated for Christmas

I agree about Philharmagic, it’s one of our favourites in WDW too and very underrated. I love the idea of a Coco addition to it. The Lion King show at DLP sounds excellent too
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 04:59 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
Another lovely day, the park looks beautiful all decorated for Christmas

I agree about Philharmagic, it’s one of our favourites in WDW too and very underrated. I love the idea of a Coco addition to it. The Lion King show at DLP sounds excellent too
It a really good show, very much a theatre show rather than a mixed entertainment show like at WDW.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Dec 21, 08:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Restaurant Reviews: 43
I didn't k ow they had added a lion king shoe. Where is the theatre? As the stage looks huge! Sounds like you had a lovely day and managed to get on all the rides you wanted with minimal waits. Looks very cold though!

Link to all my completed trip reports
2017: NYC and Orlando. Salzburg. Boston.
2018: Orlando. Berlin.
2019: DLP. Orlando. Washington DC.
2020: DLP.
2021: Jamaica. Rome.
2022: Orlando.
2023: Orlando. Niagara and Toronto.
Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 11:24 AM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I didn't k ow they had added a lion king shoe. Where is the theatre? As the stage looks huge! Sounds like you had a lovely day and managed to get on all the rides you wanted with minimal waits. Looks very cold though!
There used to be one on years ago in the Hyperion theatre then it stopped.
This one is in the enormous Frontierland Theatre - right at the back of the land - we've always watched Christmas shows in there before.
It's called Lion King Pride: Rythms of the Pride Lands and you can buy an express pass for it as there's always huge queues. We'd planned to do that if we hadn't seen it by the last day but didn't need it.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
TRIP REPORT INDEX
Old 6 Dec 21, 01:53 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

The previous version was more like the Orlando one and ran for years. This version started in 2018 I think - but only during certain seasons. Last time was during the Lion King Festival in 2019.

The theatre was remodelled a few years ago so now you don’t get stuck behind a pillar.
DLP: day trips 2000, 2003; Cheyenne Sep 2009, Feb 2011, Nov 2018; Sequoia Lodge June 2008, May 2012; Elysee May 2012, Jan 2013, Sep 2013; Disneyland Hotel Mar 2015, Santa Fe Nov 2016; Newport Bay Sep 2017, Ibis Sep 2019, Hotel NY Art of Marvel Nov 2021
WDW: Port Orleans Riverside Dec 10; SSR Nov 14
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 06:19 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews

theDIBB Guidebook
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
The previous version was more like the Orlando one and ran for years. This version started in 2018 I think - but only during certain seasons. Last time was during the Lion King Festival in 2019.

The theatre was remodelled a few years ago so now you don’t get stuck behind a pillar.
Can you remember the statues of characters sat in the seats with the audience in the original show. I have a pic somewhere of my mum sat next to a hyena!
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
TRIP REPORT INDEX
Old 6 Dec 21, 06:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by MrsBC View Post
There used to be one on years ago in the Hyperion theatre then it stopped.
This one is in the enormous Frontierland Theatre - right at the back of the land - we've always watched Christmas shows in there before.
It's called Lion King Pride: Rythms of the Pride Lands and you can buy an express pass for it as there's always huge queues. We'd planned to do that if we hadn't seen it by the last day but didn't need it.
I think that's the theatre that we watched a Chinese acrobats style show back in 2000.

Goldia is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 07:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Originally Posted by Goldia View Post
I think that's the theatre that we watched a Chinese acrobats style show back in 2000.
The Mulan show! Loved that. It was in the Hyperion theatre.
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Dec 21, 08:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Goldia
VIP Dibber

Goldia's Reviews
Originally Posted by Gill H View Post
The Mulan show! Loved that. It was in the Hyperion theatre.
Thanks for confirming Gill. I thought it was a Mulan show, but my memory of it isn't great as we only went for one day and I had slept poorly...I knew someone on here would remember it!