Notices
General Trip Reports Reports that don't fit in to the other categories

Old 23 Dec 21, 12:58 AM  
Link to this Post
roxie2001
Imagineer

Sangria and a tray of crisps. Benalmadena. Nov 21. Travel home, thoughts, highs, lows & future plans

Thursday 2nd December.

An alarm was set for this morning, it wasn’t welcome and a different view.

I did the last of the packing before going to reception.
The hoppa taxi was booked for 8am. It was on time and a short journey back to the airport.
Straight through security with no problem.
We found a table in a little cafe, Matt and I went to duty free. They had some offers but only brought Gordon’s gin and 3 large milka bars for dd and her bf, a tradition now.
I had a baguette but it was a limited choice so Matt had a sandwich from the shop next door.

It was ok. Paul got papers and did the crossword.
Our gate came on the board, a different one to what the app told us. Paul finished his crossword, I started to get anxious about time as usual. Passport control was busy but it was fast moving so we had plenty of time really.
Tracy, Paul and Matt queued in priority and me in the non priority. Ryan air staff came along and checked the passenger locator form and covid passport and we got a sticker for the passport to say we had been checked. A girl nearby had no passenger form so she started to fill that in.
Then they announced we were departing from a different gate, upstairs and right at the end. This was the gate on the app.
It was pretty much immediate boarding when we got there.
The flight was fine, we ordered some a hot panini each which were surprisingly good then I must have slept.
We were pretty much first in line at passport control. Matt usually has trouble at the machines but this time he was ok, he was quite joyous the other side of the barrier while I had to step back and start again to get through.
As we had anytime off peak return, we could catch the earlier train which was leaving in about 20 minutes.
It’s so easy to get to the station, Paul had a coffee in the platform, the rest of us cold drinks.
It wasn’t long until we were on the train, a nice table seat. Last minute I said about getting lemonade so Tracy and I could have a gin purchased from duty free so we hopped off as it was next to the train and back on again.

It’s so stress free now its a direct route. We had a 15 wait for the train to take us home, Tracy and Paul got off one stop before us.
It’s was absolutely freezing and no taxis waiting. I called but it was a 40 minute wait, don’t know if every town is like this now.
We walked into town instead and got one from there.
The tests came the next morning and posted off. Results came back Sunday morning.

When my mum passed, I went straight back to work, I wanted to keep everything normal. The couple of weeks before the holiday I really started to feel the loss, not that I hadn't before but I was becoming impatient and shouty. I needed this break to really process it.
My mum was so brave and strong, I felt like I was letting her down if I broke down.
I’m trying to balance my sadness with the happiness life brings, not always easy but I have great support.
I know the drinking and relaxing isn’t everyone’s idea of a good holiday, but this time it was the best option for me.
I think we still did some lovely things, Benalmadea is a perfect resort, so much to do locally if you want with brilliant public transport.
We have visited the towns nearby and rode the cable car before, those are in my other trip reports.
Highs
The hotel, as usual this was outstanding for the money paid. Not busy, a few more guests at the weekend but never waited for anything.
The weather, so warm in the day. Cooler at night but we love some winter sun.
The company, again, not for everyone but we love going away with friends.

Lows
The only one was the rule changing, a couple of hours stress still didn’t take away from the holiday though.

Future plans, hopefully.
Benidorm, booked with Tracy and Paul for the end of January. Don’t know if we will go if the 2 day return test is still in place, will have to seriously think about it.
May. Florida, postponed and changed far too many times. No Disney. Only discovery cove booked so far.
June/July Salou for dds 21st. Something we thought about but wouldn’t have gone for her birthday if mum was still here.
September. A girls holiday for me, Matt has booked a golf break while I’m away.
December. Hopefully a cruise.

Massive thanks to everyone reading and the lovely comments.
During lockdown I reread all my reports, even though I write them for my memories it’s so sweet that other people are interested as well. ❤️

Edited at 01:01 AM.
roxie2001 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List