Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 1 Jan 22, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Goonerboy
I want to go now!

Avis at Hard Rock Hotel

Hi Everyone,
Like many other dibbers I got a great deal to pick up my Avis rental at the Hard Rock Hotel Universal Blvd.

When I approached the desk the guy was nowhere to be seen. There were an Irish family ahead of me who were fellow dibbers it turns out and they said he was serving them but since disappeared.

After twenty minutes I got served by a guy called Sivan. We completed all the paperwork and he said he would be back I. Ten minutes and the. I would get my car. I decided to follow him at a distance and noticed he went to the bottom car park at the hotel and saw him start to clean the car for me. I feel sorry for this guy as he seems to be a one man band, not only does he do the admin work but he also cleans the car. This is a poor show on Avis behalf. Once I got the car which was a Dodge Journey I found it to be really dirty and it had not been vacuumed properly. The car looked like it had not been washed for months. I complained and was told to take it or leave it as that was the only car available to me.

Once I started driving the car I noticed that it kept over revving and the steering wheel started to judder as soon as I hit 30 MPH. This vehicle had in access of 35k miles kn the clock. I decided to drive to the airport where they swapped it out for a brand new Mitsubishi Outlander with only 90 miles on the clock.

Therefore be aware that when you pick up at this location you may not necessarily get what you pay off.
Goonerboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jan 22, 08:12 PM  
Link to this Post
babbymint
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Goonerboy View Post
Hi Everyone,
Like many other dibbers I got a great deal to pick up my Avis rental at the Hard Rock Hotel Universal Blvd.

When I approached the desk the guy was nowhere to be seen. There were an Irish family ahead of me who were fellow dibbers it turns out and they said he was serving them but since disappeared.

After twenty minutes I got served by a guy called Sivan. We completed all the paperwork and he said he would be back I. Ten minutes and the. I would get my car. I decided to follow him at a distance and noticed he went to the bottom car park at the hotel and saw him start to clean the car for me. I feel sorry for this guy as he seems to be a one man band, not only does he do the admin work but he also cleans the car. This is a poor show on Avis behalf. Once I got the car which was a Dodge Journey I found it to be really dirty and it had not been vacuumed properly. The car looked like it had not been washed for months. I complained and was told to take it or leave it as that was the only car available to me.

Once I started driving the car I noticed that it kept over revving and the steering wheel started to judder as soon as I hit 30 MPH. This vehicle had in access of 35k miles kn the clock. I decided to drive to the airport where they swapped it out for a brand new Mitsubishi Outlander with only 90 miles on the clock.

Therefore be aware that when you pick up at this location you may not necessarily get what you pay off.

Thanks for the heads up.
I've booked off airport with Hertz - hopefully any issues and we can switch within the airport if need be. Even if we have to do that, I will still have saved in the region of £1500 so for me definitely worth the risk - that will pay for the Disney tickets!
babbymint is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 02:51 PM  
Link to this Post
dynomikered
Excited about Disney

We had exactly the same issue at Hard Rock! The guy disappeared for 40mins, said he had to pick the car up from another location, when he arrived with the car it was filthy and had dings and scratches all over it, I went back into see him and was told the exact same thing! I told him to make a note on the agreement to say the dings and scratches were already on the car, I also took pictures with the date and time on them. The car once we cleaned it was fine inside and drove great
For the sake of a few dollars I think I will pick up from MCO next time
dynomikered is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 03:32 PM  
Link to this Post
penguin19
Imagineer

penguin19's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 3
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We picked up from HRH as well. Went for 8am when it opened and everything was fine, although there fleet is very small so there is a possibility you won't end up with what you paid for.

Worked out fine for us as we got an upgrade to an SUV and the whole 2 weeks cost us £490 instead of £1500 direct from the airport

DCL - 19,21,21,22,23,23
penguin19 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Jan 22, 04:11 PM  
Link to this Post
LLamb
Imagineer

Mobile

I have ours booked from Cabana Bay before we swap to the Hard Rock. I have set my expectations very low and I’m fully prepared for a little outing to the airport to swap.
We are driving down to Miami at the end of trip so want to make sure we have a car that will get us there!
Compared to current prices we got a very good at £501 for a people carrier for two weeks.
LLamb is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 06:56 PM  
Link to this Post
p3aud
Very Serious Dibber

I, too have booked an suv to pick up from Hard Rock Hotel, but am really unsure what to do now that I have seen some bad reviews of this location. On the plus side, it is much cheaper than pick up at the airport. On the minus, there are the bad reviews and I don't want to be wasting valuable holiday time waiting to either get a car or swapping it at the airport.
Does anyone have any positive reviews of picking up at HRH?
p3aud is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 12 Jan 22, 07:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Tracydcp
Imagineer

We picked up from Royal Pacific and had no problems. Guy was at the Avis desk, he didn’t try to push anything on us, did ask if we wanted the toll thing but we declined. Form signed and we went to find car in the car park, it was an intermediate SUV as we’d ordered, could have been a bit cleaner inside if I’m being picky but it was absolutely fine other than that.

April/May 2009, October 2011, May 2013, May 2015
August 2020 We’re going back!
Tracydcp is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 27 Jun 23, 05:23 PM  
Link to this Post
WASTID
Getting Excited

Only using this to drop our car off at the end of the trip. No need for a car once we are at the Hard Rock.

Just use an Uber to get to the Airport on departure day.

Presume its just a case of leaving the car in the car park and going to the desk when you arrive at the HRH?
WASTID is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List