Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 16 Jan 22, 06:30 PM  
Link to this Post
mummyroo1
Apprentice Imagineer

New York for just 1 day?

Looking at potentially flying via New York to Orlando this summer and having 2 nights and one full day in New York. 2 adults a 15 and 11 year old. I have been before but not anyone else. Hubby is a huge statue fan so ticking off the state of liberty is a bit of a bucket list opportunity. Has anyone done this before? I was thinking trying to get the Statue of Liberty done in the morning, followed possibly by the 9 11 museum and then finishing the day up one of the towers, probably the empire state as I have already done Top of the Rock. Staying midtown, the BA package is suggesting the Hilton midtown.

How stressful is getting into the city from JFK? when I went we had a coach and drove in from Philadelphia so didn't fly into the city. We are then heading to Orlando for 3 weeks, 2 at beach club and 1 at Universal. Will be it exhausting?

Edited at 06:32 PM.
mummyroo1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 06:44 PM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mummyroo1 View Post
Looking at potentially flying via New York to Orlando this summer and having 2 nights and one full day in New York. 2 adults a 15 and 11 year old. I have been before but not anyone else. Hubby is a huge statue fan so ticking off the state of liberty is a bit of a bucket list opportunity. Has anyone done this before? I was thinking trying to get the Statue of Liberty done in the morning, followed possibly by the 9 11 museum and then finishing the day up one of the towers, probably the empire state as I have already done Top of the Rock. Staying midtown, the BA package is suggesting the Hilton midtown.

How stressful is getting into the city from JFK? when I went we had a coach and drove in from Philadelphia so didn't fly into the city. We are then heading to Orlando for 3 weeks, 2 at beach club and 1 at Universal. Will be it exhausting?
it's doable but will be tiring. I would add on an extra day. I don't think you'd come away from New York saying you had too much time. We booked a transfer with BA to hotel and back. It was a mini bus with suitcases stacked high. Basically thrown above head height into the luggage storage bit. Driver drove like Lewis Hamilton. I'd go for the train or private transfer in the future.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 Jan 22, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Chops
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by mummyroo1 View Post
Looking at potentially flying via New York to Orlando this summer and having 2 nights and one full day in New York. 2 adults a 15 and 11 year old. I have been before but not anyone else. Hubby is a huge statue fan so ticking off the state of liberty is a bit of a bucket list opportunity. Has anyone done this before? I was thinking trying to get the

Statue of Liberty done in the morning, followed possibly by the 9 11 museum and then finishing the day up one of the towers, probably the empire state as I have already done Top of the Rock. Staying midtown, the BA package is suggesting the Hilton midtown.

Are both kids double jabbed? If not they won’t be able to go anywhere inside except statue of liberty as of 29th January when the rules go down to ages 5+

Edited at 06:47 PM.
Chops is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 10:03 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

We were there in December, just before Christmas.
Only one day -
I’d do Statue of Liberty definitely (if you want to go up the pedestal you must book in advance). We got the first tickets at 9am, and there was no line. I’d go then. The line for the boat gets very long. And you have to go through airport style security.

I loved the 9/11 museum, but I wouldn’t go there if you only have one day. We were in there nearly 4 hours!

I think after Liberty, you’ll want lunch. I’d take the subway to Greenwich village - lots of nice cafes there. Then I’d head to the Highline near Chelsea market. Walk the Highline to Hudson yards (maybe 20 mins walk - the Highline is lovely). Then I’d take a look at Times Square. We literally just walked through it, just to see it. We did top of the rock, which was amazing. And there are lots of shops at the bottom the kids would like - Lego, fao schwarz, Nintendo, and I think American girl is there too.

Id be tempted to go up there, and pop into some of the shops. Then have a nice dinner somewhere.

I have to say, we found food very expensive there, with the exception of the pizza takeaways and food trucks. Our favourite meal (which was good value) was at Tony’s di Napoli near Lexington ave. Really nice there, if you like Italian.

You could pop to Central Park for a little while before top of the rock. Maybe take a pedicab tour for an hour.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 10:05 AM  
Link to this Post
porridge
Apprentice Imagineer

To add its very easy to get from jfk to the city. Just take the air train to the subway. Then the subway to the city. It’ll take about 45 mins from jfk to midtown. Or you could get a cab.
porridge is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Robin3
Getting Excited

Originally Posted by Chops View Post
Are both kids double jabbed? If not they won’t be able to go anywhere inside except statue of liberty as of 29th January when the rules go down to ages 5+
That’s very interesting to know, we are going in July but only flying into JFK & staying in an airport hotel for the night as we fly to tampa the next morning, I’m assuming my 10 year old who is unjabbed can fly into New York & stay the night?
Robin3 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List