Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 20 Sep 18, 10:23 AM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Cat weeing everywhere, stress

Our 8 yr old cat normally v good uses her litter tray (rarely goes outside) started weeing and pooing in our new extension firstly when we were away . We were on holiday 12 days and my mum came up daily to feed her. Last 3 days mum noticed Snowball pooing and weeing in extension. I imagine due to being unhappy.
Anyway managed to get her back to tray then recently got new carpet fitted in extension and dh noticed wee patches dotted about. No poo now. Called vets last night and said to bring her down.

They think she has a bladder infection brought on by stress... probably combination of us being away and new build.

So £90 later we have medicine and was advised to buy Feliway plug in which we put on the landing, may buy another for downstairs. Also trying to keep her out of new room for a few days?

Never had this before, anyone else

Edited at 10:25 AM.
Snowball24 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 10:33 AM  
Link to this Post
storm
Imagineer

Friends cat did this when new neighbours moved in with dogs. Medication & feliway also. Changed food to "urinary" health type.
You need to clean soiled areas with biological washing powder to remove cats urine scent to prevent reuse of the area.
PS she didn't think the feliway made any difference
She was also advised to try a drinking water fountain , her cat refused to use it .
storm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
Kd0758
Very Serious Dibber

When we got back from our honeymoon we decided to put a sofa bed in one of the spare bedrooms so that DH could have his PC and PS4 in there and my cat constantly went in there to go for a wee. I put feliway in there and only let her in there when we were in there and she hasn’t done it in ages. I also spray peppermint oil diluted with water on it occasionally to discourage her.

Our cats are very anxious so when we go away my mum comes to stay so that they can get used to the same person in the comfort of their own home but they do always have little accidents so we add an extra litter tray when we go away.
Kd0758 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
wendywhite
Imagineer

Oh poor fur baby and poor you. Just sympathising with you, no advice, got one exactly the same, nothing physically wrong with him, but the least upset to his world and he wees outside his 2 trays. We are trying to rearrange the whole house to make it wee proof... vinyl instead of carpet, washable rugs, waterproofing the spare bed... we have tried everything with him incuding feliway, nothing seems to work. Love him way too much... but poor house lol
Old 20 Sep 18, 12:53 PM  
Link to this Post
vanlou
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 40
Sympathise fully with you - our electric kept going off and finally realised that one of our cats was spraying on one of the downstairs plug sockets which kept tripping the electric! Lovely I think it’s because a new cat had moved in up the road somewhere and kept sitting on our wall, so cat was stressed, because he has such a hard life lying around and eating.. We were already using feliway so have this other stuff now - cost about the same but smells revolting However the cat is no longer spraying around the house so guess it works. He is however, according to OH, very lucky to still be alive

DLP Aug 2004 SQL, Dec 2007 HNY, Dec 2008 DLH
WDW Aug 2011 POFQ/RPR, Aug 2014 - HRH/POFQ
August 2014 trip report - Er, where's the rain?
vanlou is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 03:58 PM  
Link to this Post
Snowball24
Imagineer

Mobile

Just had call from vets, she has bacteria in urine so i have to collect anti biotics
Old 20 Sep 18, 04:21 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Aw poor girl, hope she is better soon! Maybe once the infection clears up she won't do it any more.

I don't think it's always linked to stress... our girl was a rescue, and for the first year she went perfectly fine in her litter. She doesn't go outside at all, I think after being stuck inside in the shelter she is used to litter.

Then one day she went on the carpet right next to her tray and that was it- couldn't get her to use the tray at all. We had to replace the carpet in the end. £350 it was as we had to do the downstairs loo and the hall- she's lucky we love her!
Once the smell gets in something they will do it again and again. We moved house and the first thing we did is put down plastic sheeting under her litter tray! Now she uses the tray 90% of the time. I don't think stress was a trigger for her, as moving house made it better rather than worse (and she absolutely hated moving).
SquishTheWhale is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 04:29 PM  
Link to this Post
MissFortune
Imagineer

Funnily enough I just added this to our shopping list today as our male cat is struggling with Cystitis. Not sure if it's stress related at this stage but we are going to start adding this into his food just in case.

Helps the bladder & also reduces Anxiety (meant to be used with the Feliway plug in).

Fairly cheap on Amazon.

MissFortune is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 04:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Loopylooloo
VIP Dibber

My cats play up if they are stressed, usually if we go away, one will vomit on my bed just to let me know he is displeased! Hopefully you will get your cat settled again.

Our trip reports -
1st trip to Florida - April 2014 - 'Are we nearly Bankrupt yet?!'
The Kuna Mahuna Croatia Holiday 2016
Bankrupt again Florida 2017
New York & RCL Anthem of Seas 2018
https://dibb.in/13476718
And now it’s time for Wine Wine Wine! Rome + Celebrity Cruise May 2022
https://dibb.in/15427816
Loopylooloo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 18, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
pinkcandy
Imagineer

Originally Posted by MissFortune View Post
Funnily enough I just added this to our shopping list today as our male cat is struggling with Cystitis. Not sure if it's stress related at this stage but we are going to start adding this into his food just in case.

Helps the bladder & also reduces Anxiety (meant to be used with the Feliway plug in).

Fairly cheap on Amazon.
Was just going to suggest these, absolute lifesaver, its helped our little furbaby out so much, I also use these along with the feliway plug in.