Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 21 Sep 18, 10:58 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile Trypophobia or other unusual phobias?

So, the thread about Misophonia has made me think about another weird phobia I have, that my husband also doesn't think is real.

Trypophobia is a phobia of small bumps, lumps and small holes in irregular patterns. It sounds mad but bear with me. Theres a massage bar in Lush that is set with coffee beans in the bar, causing a lumpy surface. I can't even look at it. The same with bumpy skin, gathered spots, those little red disease spots you get on leaves. The bumps under the skin of the bad guy in the Black Panther film (I had to close my eyes until he put his shirt back on).

My reaction to seeing something like that is for chills to go all up and down my arms, goosebumps, my hair to stand on end and a general feeling of revulsion. Even typing about it without seeing any images is giving me the reaction.

A more detailed explanation is here- NO trigger images! jordantrudgett/all-about-trypophobia/
I guess if you don't know if you suffer from it, do a google image search for Trypophobia and see if you freak out.

My mum is the only person who understands how it feels as she has it too. It's not a life changing phobia but every now and then I get caught off guard and it's really horrible.

So, anyone with me on this phobia? Or do you have another unusual phobia?
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:01 PM  
Link to this Post
Sweets
like a dog with a bone

I couldn’t even read all of your post because I get freaked out. I have this too. Now I have the thought/image in my head I can’t shift it 😭😭😭

It’s really horrible and difficult to explain to others who don’t understand.
Sweets is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:18 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Sweets View Post
I couldn’t even read all of your post because I get freaked out. I have this too. Now I have the thought/image in my head I can’t shift it 😭😭😭

It’s really horrible and difficult to explain to others who don’t understand.
Honestly I still have the symptoms after typing it. Glad to meet a fellow sufferer at any rate! Did you always know there was a name for it? I only found out a year or two ago!

And sorry for the images in your head! 😟

Edited at 11:19 PM.
SquishTheWhale is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:24 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

As well as misophonia I have a fear of really big things. Keep it clean people

If I’m near a massive aeroplane or ship or something similar I just freak out and need to look away. We live near Hull and in summer often walk along the river Humber, we once went further than we’d been before and came upon the North Sea ferry port. Just before we reached the ships there was a yard next to the footpath with loads of large machinery, just really giant things and I couldn’t walk past it or look. I almost started crying and we had to turn back, was shaking and sweating.

Funny though cos I go to Florida on a very big plane
and I’ve been on one of the North Sea ferries. It’s worse if I’m standing under it if that makes sense. Boarding a plane through a tunnel fine, walking out to it to go up the steps...
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:30 PM  
Link to this Post
SquishTheWhale
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by sunseeker100 View Post
As well as misophonia I have a fear of really big things. Keep it clean people

If I’m near a massive aeroplane or ship or something similar I just freak out and need to look away. We live near Hull and in summer often walk along the river Humber, we once went further than we’d been before and came upon the North Sea ferry port. Just before we reached the ships there was a yard next to the footpath with loads of large machinery, just really giant things and I couldn’t walk past it or look. I almost started crying and we had to turn back, was shaking and sweating.

Funny though cos I go to Florida on a very big plane
and I’ve been on one of the North Sea ferries. It’s worse if I’m standing under it if that makes sense. Boarding a plane through a tunnel fine, walking out to it to go up the steps...
I guess it does make sense as when you're on it you can't see how big it is. But I can see how that could be upsetting if you don't know when you'll come across something that sets you off. Is there a name for that kind of phobia?
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:41 PM  
Link to this Post
sunseeker100
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by SquishTheWhale View Post
I guess it does make sense as when you're on it you can't see how big it is. But I can see how that could be upsetting if you don't know when you'll come across something that sets you off. Is there a name for that kind of phobia?
It’s called megalophobia. It’s so weird what triggers it. Not big buildings or like the Eiffel Tower which can be a trigger for some people, but ships or submarines my worst image would be me in the sea and a sub surfacing or ship going close to me. Did not like the scene in titanic when it tips up to show the blades at the back.
Old 21 Sep 18, 11:47 PM  
Link to this Post
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Strange phobias- belly buttons ! I cannot bear to look at one and thinking about one now makes me cringe.
I have learnt something tonight though as I didn’t know this had a name- omphalophobia !
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 02:52 AM  
Link to this Post
Pookie3101
Imagineer

Pookie3101's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 6
Mobile

My daughter and I both have trypophobia. Like pp’s it set me off as soon as I read the title of the post, because it brought the images that freak me out the most to my head. My reaction is I itch all over and become very unsettled. I also get a burning sensation in my arms (which is my panic attack reaction).
It has in the past caused me big problems as I couldn’t get the images out of my head.

DLP NBC - 2008, DLP SL- 2009, DLP SL, 2010.
AKL - 2014, POR - 2016
Pookie3101 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 03:41 AM  
Link to this Post
CG1
Excited about Disney

Mobile

I get full body shivers if I see someone brushing their teeth on TV or even hear it on the radio. I'm fine brushing my own teeth and being around people that are brushing theirs. Even writing about it now is giving me the heebie geebies!
CG1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Sep 18, 06:28 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

Yup the picture of the seedy boob on fb that did the rounds made me feel physically sick for weeks. It was like a seedhead and just typing that's made me gag. I'm also terrified of birds. The thought of the feather sticking in their skin and when they fly too close 🤢