Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 8
One Mad woman and her dog 2- Aberfeldy June 21. Day 2 Glasgow to Aberfeldy

Monday 14th June

Max sleeps like the dead, but I’m not a great sleeper so I think I see every half hour from 3.30am as it’s surprisingly light. I wait for Max to stir and he comes over to see me about 7am so I take that as my cue to take him out for a wee so we have a quick walk in the park. It’s still really early so I have a quick shower and read my book in bed for a bit, and he has another nap.
Around 9 I pack us all up, and I go to check out. They had posted the invoice through the door and didn’t charge me the £20 for the Max fee as I call it so that’s good. Seems to happen sometimes. Every little helps with a house move hopefully next week. So it was only £72.90 but that’s all budgeted for. I pinch the biscuits to have for breakfast. Then last quick mooch in the park and we’re on our way.

First stop for me is a village on the way that says it has chargers, I have plenty enough to get there but I just don’t want the stress of yesterday. It’s not working so I head on, and find Sterling Services. Well this place has a working charger, but it’s not a fast charger. I plug in anyway but it’s going to take 5 hours to charge the car, so I only grab a coffee from Costa to have with my biscuits, and we both have a wee. I think it added about 5 miles to the clock. Why on earth do they bother with those, is anyone really staying at the services for 5/6 hours? Onwards we go and then success. I find a shell garage with an empty and working fast charger. I sit here for about 35 mins until it hits 80% then head off. I don’t know how much this costs yet but they pre-authorise £20. It won’t be that much though. Maybe £12/13.

Feeling happier about the car situation I head to Aberfeldy. It’s too early to check in but I park up, and we walk through Aberfeldy for a mooch around. I came Christmas of 2009 and it’s just as pretty in summer.

We have a good walk round then I have booked a pub for lunch to watch the Scotland match, glad I did they are so busy. Takes a while and one table change to get a drink but I’m in no rush, and I end up right under a screen.
I order a wine, £5, then a chicken curry and chips with another wine £15.75 as I’ve only had coffee and a pack of biscuits so far. I also book a table for tomorrow night for dinner and the France/Germany match.

The curry is massive (and lovely) so I end up with a helper for the poppadom and some chips. Really tasty though. I have one more wine at another £5, then the match finishes and can check in now so decide to walk back up the hill to see our pad.

Well it is incredible, literally every little thing has been considered. Little notes and gifts everywhere and the biggest jacuzzi bath. Even almond milk and peppermint tea for me as I can’t drink cows milk. Eggs, fresh bread and butter, amazing.

I roll out my yoga mat (as I’m pretending to still be on my diet and exercise plan) and do 30 mins, then just sort a few bits out.

The owners husband nips by with their dog (also Max) and they say hello. I then decide to walk Max back down into town to the Co-op for a few bits, should really have done this before the wine so I could drive. I love a walk but do panic having to tie him up outside.

On the way down he meets a Cocker Spaniel called Rocky and they have a lovely play. It’s the most beautiful walk down through the Birks of Aberfeldy.

After they have finished playing I nip to the Co-op and buy some wine, marmite for the lovely tiger bread. And just a few picnicky bits and a ready meal for my dinner to go in the Microwave. £20.50.

On the way back though I spot a restaurant that I went to in 2009. A Persian restaurant called Checkeks. I can’t resist looking at the menu then the man calls me in and says I can have Max with me, so I have to nip in. Glad I do as it’s empty. The ready meal can do lunch one day. The little town is so quiet tonight. Rammed at the footie time this afternoon but empty now. Nearly all restaurants closed.
It’s not licensed but I can open my wine I just bought, and I order Hummus and pita (it’s massive) and then chicken kebab. Only problem is I’m not super hungry, but I know someone who can help me with that.

We manage most of it then I ask for the bill. Turns out you can’t pay by card so the owner literally hands me his bank card to do a transfer 😂 it comes to £17 but I transfer £20. We walk back up the hill shortly after and we walk I message the owner to ask if it’s ok to plug the car in through the window if I leave some money and she says no problem so I do that, I run a bath and light the candles. Really chill out with a glass of wine.

Then just watch the Spain/Sweden match in bed such a beautiful spot it’s going to be so lovely.

Total miles travelled - 76 in the car and again a few by foot
Total spent - around £85 excluding accommodation

Edited at 10:31 PM.
mitch84 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 21, 09:42 PM  
Link to this Post
Sparksy72
VIP Dibber

Sparksy72's Reviews
Aberfeldy looks pretty and that curry looks delicious. Luckily Max was there to help you out with your meals! What an amazing host to have all those extra special treats for you, just so thoughtful. Is it me or does that spa Bath look like a hidden Mickey? 😂
Sparksy72 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 21, 06:45 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Sparksy72 View Post
Aberfeldy looks pretty and that curry looks delicious. Luckily Max was there to help you out with your meals! What an amazing host to have all those extra special treats for you, just so thoughtful. Is it me or does that spa Bath look like a hidden Mickey? 😂
It does look like a hidden mickey! 😂
He always does quite well with the leftovers. He’s quite active and not overweight so we tend to let him help unless it’s dangerous.
Aberfeldy is so pretty, and everyone is so friendly
Old 17 Jun 21, 04:17 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
Monday 14th June

I see every half hour from 3.30am as it’s surprisingly light.
That's Scotland in the summer for you.
Old 17 Jun 21, 04:28 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
That's Scotland in the summer for you.
It’s quite a shock!
Old 17 Jun 21, 08:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Scotty
Imagineer

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
It’s quite a shock!
That always surprises me - we had visitors from N Wales recently and they said the same. I love it when we can still be out on tha yard til 10:30-11.
Awful in the winter though.
Old 8 Jan 22, 10:36 PM  
Link to this Post
unixgirl
VIP Dibber

Aberfeldy looks great and Max is so well behaved. My Millie is pretty good but not as calm I think. I was thinking of going to the Lake district in summer with her but you may have swayed me towards Aberfeldy. The accommodation looks lovely as well.
unixgirl is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List