Notices
Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Theme Parks Shanghai, Tokyo and Hong Kong Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 1 Aug 21, 12:12 PM  
Link to this Post
LozSteelers
Very Serious Dibber

Bullet Train Advice

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of planning a solo trip to Japan. I'm having to do a lot of research as I don't really know too much about any of it, but as it's been on my bucket list for some time, I'm hoping to go early 2023.

My question is, how easy is it to take luggage on the bullet train. I'd be looking to use the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka and will have a large suitcase with me (20kg probably).

All the videos I've seen suggest there is overhead storage and there's no way I'm lifting a 20kg suitcase into overhead storage!

Or would I be better going by air?
LozSteelers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 21, 01:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by LozSteelers View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm currently in the process of planning a solo trip to Japan. I'm having to do a lot of research as I don't really know too much about any of it, but as it's been on my bucket list for some time, I'm hoping to go early 2023.

My question is, how easy is it to take luggage on the bullet train. I'd be looking to use the bullet train from Tokyo to Osaka and will have a large suitcase with me (20kg probably).

All the videos I've seen suggest there is overhead storage and there's no way I'm lifting a 20kg suitcase into overhead storage!

Or would I be better going by air?
I am aware things have changed since we were there in 2019. I think you have to reserve a space now on the train if case is over a certain size (just check online). There are spaces for large suitcases at entrance to each carriage. We took a large suitcase from Tokyo to Kyoto no problems. We left the other suitcase at our hotel in Tokyo as we were going back there.

Another option which is used widely in Japan is sending your suitcase ahead to the hotel you are going to. There is a charge for this and there is lots of information on this available online. The hotel staff in Tokyo would probably arrange this for you - maybe worth an email in advance? They are very efficient on this type of thing.

There is no need to fly just to take a suitcase.

The undernoted link gives info on sending your luggage ahead.

japan.travel/en/plan/get...ggage-storage/

The undernoted link gives details on taking luggage on the Shinkansen including large suitcases (it’s size not weight). Scroll down the page to near the bottom for the information.

japan-guide/e/e2018.html

It all looks way more complicated than it actually is. We travelled all over on the trains with no problems at all.

Edited at 03:49 PM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 21, 05:57 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Luggage Size is important - see below

matcha-jp/en/7887
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 21, 07:34 PM  
Link to this Post
LozSteelers
Very Serious Dibber

Thanks both, very helpful!
LozSteelers is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Aug 21, 08:15 PM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

I would do as Pumpkin Pie says - it looks complicated but is not.

If we go in May we were planning to do this on our 2 days trip to Osaka - but when we leave Tokyo to head there, we will be coming back to same Tokyo hotel and emailed them to ask if they would allow us to leave our cases (take a change of clothes and a few things in a backpack) and they said yes.
AntonyJ is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 09:42 AM  
Link to this Post
LozSteelers
Very Serious Dibber

My case should be in those regulations so I will be fine reserving a spot or using the luggage transfer option (I had never even heard of this!)

At the moment, I'm looking at 6 nights Tokyo, 3 nights Disney area, 5 nights Osaka (Visiting Kobe, Kyoto and Hiroshima in this time).

The only thing I'm a bit weary of at the moment is the language barrier, especially being a solo traveller.
Old 2 Aug 21, 09:48 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LozSteelers View Post
My case should be in those regulations so I will be fine reserving a spot or using the luggage transfer option (I had never even heard of this!)

At the moment, I'm looking at 6 nights Tokyo, 3 nights Disney area, 5 nights Osaka (Visiting Kobe, Kyoto and Hiroshima in this time).

The only thing I'm a bit weary of at the moment is the language barrier, especially being a solo traveller.
I hope (and others) can put your mind at rest.

My biggest fears before my trip were language and food - am not a big fish fan.

But at the hotels we used there was always someone who spoke English, the travel office at the stations had English speakers - the train station signs / travel boards and announcements were in Japanese and English.

Good Maps (and associated wifi unit!) got us where we had to go on foot or train, very easily to be honest.

Have said before here that I am both ashamed and proud (but more ashamed) that I did not speak a single word of Japanese on that trip, and was fine. I tend to do all the talking on foreign holidays as my partner has a Scottish accent and no one understands them (except in NYC!) and e had zero issues that were down to language barrier.
Old 2 Aug 21, 09:49 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Oh and used Google Translate app on a few signs, results not perfect but you got the idea of what it was saying
Old 2 Aug 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
Pumpkin Pie
Imagineer

Well I’m Scottish and manage fine in any country we go to! LOL

Seriously though don’t worry about the language barrier (I admit I did before going). As Antony says all the signage is in English and although I learnt a few basic words before going a lot of understanding was by pointing and nodding etc. More Japanese spoke some basic English than we expected also.

I recommend a trip to Nara if you can fit it in while staying in Osaka. Tame deer wandering everywhere, nice little shops and lots of temples.

Edited at 10:25 AM.
Pumpkin Pie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Aug 21, 10:42 AM  
Link to this Post
AntonyJ
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Pie View Post
Well I’m Scottish and manage fine in any country we go to! LOL
Perhaps it is just them :-)))