Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Trip Reports Trip Reports

Old 1 Sep 21, 05:54 PM  
Link to this Post
Milpston
Imagineer

Thumbs up Anthem Of The Seas - British Isles Mini Cruise - Day 3 - Ifly and Chops Grill

The was also a notice about our exciting and exotic destinations. However, today was another sea day. For us, in all honesty, the port days made little difference as we never had plans to get off the ship and it cemented it when the rules became that you could get off independently unless you had children. There were no excursions that would have interested the kids so the most we may have done would have been to get off and have a wander in Liverpool if it had been an option.

We were up bright and early this morning and I can see from my photos that we were already sat down for breakfast in Coastal Kitchen before 07:45.

I could definitely get used to having Coastal Kitchen as an option on cruises... but I don't think I have the wallet for it regularly

Benjamin was happy with his holiday breakfast which consisted of a Doughnut.

Emma had her usual option of Special K

This morning Sally opted for scrambled eggs and I stuck with The Classic.

I did change things up a little though and add some strawberry pancakes. These were delicious.

Benjamin was very happy that Lourdes had a chocolate milk waiting for him each morning.

We were down an in the indoor pool by about 09:00. We liked to get a little swim done in the morning before the queueing for pools started. This was probably my main downside of cruising during Covid.

By about 10:30 we decided to have a little mooch around Seaplex. There was an Aerobics class going on... we didn't feel the need to take part.

We introduced Benjamin and Emma to Air Hockey which became a firm favorite and they were both very competitive. Sally and I were allowed to play each other once... obviously I won

I was lovely just to sit and look out to sea with the warm sun coming through the windows.

It was a little early for the Hot dog stand to be open and I'm disappointed with myself that we never got round to trying one.

We had a walk to the aft. Sally and I could just sit at the rear of the ship and watch the wake all day... the kids... not so much! We did spot some dolphins playing though which was a lovely treat.

The kids were too small to have a go on the Flowrider. I decided to give it a miss this time. The last time I tried was in 2011 and I managed to break a couple of ribs. I wasn't about to make that mistake again

It was soon time for us to go an grab some lunch. We had a wander down to Cafe 270. We had heard a vicious rumour that the did beef rolls in there. We used to love the beef rolls from the Park Cafe on the Oasis class ships.

Sure enough the rolls were there. Sally and I couldn't help but have them. I think the kids were happy with packets of crisps. We had taken snacks in one of our cases with them as things like chocolate bars and sweets are in short supply on the ship so they always had options back in the suite if they were wanting snacks.

I have to say these were sublime as usual. 270 is a really cool venue with lovely views out to sea.

We had a noon appointment for Ripcord by Ifly. Ifly is free for a one minute session on port days but they charge for the extended session on sea days where you get 2 goes. I ended up booking the extended session before we left. There were 2 reasons. I read that lots of people were really unhappy on previous sailings that the free sessions were so limited and were immediately all booked up. Secondly, it was one of the few things that Benjamin was tall enough for so I wasn't willing to risk missing it.

We arrived on time to check in an sign the waivers etc. Sally and I got weighed so had a slight glimpse of how badly the week was going

Both kids were given wrist bands.

The 4 of us were then shown to a briefing room where we watched a short video and were then spokn to by one of the instructors.

It was simple things like a few hand signals the instructor may use as you would nlt be able to hear them once in the wind tunnel. The kids were taking it all in.

It was then time to get kitted up with the outfit, helmet, goggles and ear plugs. I expected the kids to be nervous and want to back out, especially Benjamin, but there was non of that.

We were then taken upstairs where we waited for a few minutes for our turn to enter. It may me glad we weren't standing in the Caribbean doing this as it would have been a struggle in 30+ degree temperatures.

After a short time we were showed in to wait on benches around the outside of the wind tunnel. There was us and another group of 4. We all took turns by having one go then a second rotation each. The kids loved it and couldn't wait to get in for their second go. It was a massive highlight for them.

It hurts a little but I have to concede Sally was way better at this than me

Afterwards we did pop into the Windjammer for a snack. Only have a couple of photos of our food but we didn't go mad. Again, loads of selection and great food.

We had seats booked for the afternoon showing of We Will Rock You so we headed down to the Royal Theatre to see this. As generally reported, the show was excellent. It was the full length West End production and done brilliantly. Kevin Kennedy (or Curly Watts) is starring all this Summer and we thoroughly enjoyed it. The kids started off watching in wonder but this turned into a little boredom towards the end which we would expect in a full lenght show.

Obviously cocktails were included but I didn't note which these were.

After the show we raced back to the suite to get washed up for the evening as we had a reservation at Chops Grill. I've never missed Chops on a Royal Caribbean ship and wasn't about to start now. We had pre dinner drinks in the Schooner bar nearby to it.

Our reservation for Chops Grill was at 19:00. Emma was a bit aggrieved that she wouldn't be seeing Lourdes to learn more drawing for the next couple of evenings.

Sally was sporting a lovely little accessory by way of a Co-Op bag we carried a bag just to make it easier to collect can of water as we were passing bars for back in the room.

I had the bacon for starter. It was different to the version I last had in Chops Grill but still very nice. It's Pork Belly in a stocky sauce really.

You'll be shocked to hear we tried a couple of cocktails.

Each of the restaurants have some cocktails that are exclusive to that location so we had to give them a try.

For the Entree Sally had the lamb. I tried a little and it was lovely. I had the Filet. It was a perfect medium rare and, I have to say, up there amongst the top handful of steak I have ever had. I eat a fair bit of steak too so would consider myself a pretty good judge

We had a selection of sides to share and the kids had some chicken breast along with some of the sides.

The service was very good too. The restaurant was quiet. I didn't thin the service was as personal or quite as attentive as in Coastal but it was still excellent. The only thing. Thinking back I think my only reason for thinking this was that I remember my glass being empty for a few minutes

We all thought it would be rude to miss out on dessert.

Sally had apple pie.

I had the cheese cake

Benjamin had chocolate lava cake

Emma had some vanilla ice cream.

We all thoroughly enjoyed our meals here.

I have eaten in Chops 6 times now. 5 of them have been excellent with only one relatively poor experience amongst them. Chops Grill will always be one of the first things I book when going back on Royal Caribbean.

Afterwards we had a bit of a meander around to burn off our meal.

We grabbed a few more pictures on the way around.

We popped into one of the jewelers. They offer free diamond cleaning... obviously a sales opportunity. The lady in there managed to get Sally's engagement ring off which she hadn't managed to do for months and gave it a nice clean up.

We headed back to the room for about 21:00 as the kids were feeling tired.

We had various towel animals appearing throughout the week.

The kids settled down in their bed watching their Ipads for a short time.

We went a bit easier on the alcohol today.

So drinks package cost for today was £89.76. Drinks we had would have cost about £170 without the package... just goes to show you don't need to be drinking that much to make it worthwhile.
August 2021 - Anthem of the seas UK mini cruise Trip report *completed*
Vegas/LA Aug 22 - Trip Report In Progress

Edited at 01:12 PM.
Milpston is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 5 Sep 21, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
caitlinsmummy
Imagineer

The IFly looks amazing, but yeah I have to agree Sally’s photo is better I love Benjamin’s face too haha. Dinner looks lovely 😊 x
caitlinsmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 26 Sep 21, 10:21 AM  
Link to this Post
margyloveswdw
Deck 4, Disney Wonder

margyloveswdw's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Another great day! Steak looks perfect…..yum
margyloveswdw is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List