Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 2 Dec 21, 09:18 PM  
Link to this Post
Jillzo
slightly serious Dibber

Where do your dogs go when you're on holiday?

Hi dibbers
We are thinking of maybe getting a puppy, but we have 2 trips to Orlando booked for next year!
My in-laws used to look after our other dog when we went away, but I think asking them twice next year might be a bit cheeky, and the last time they did make a comment about having the dog when we went on holiday 🙄
Just wondering what other dibbers do? Do you use kennels or dog sitters? And approx costs for 2 weeks?
Thank you!
Jillzo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 09:27 PM  
Link to this Post
JudyC
Imagineer

When we had our last dog from 2000-2014 we used the kennels twice , and once our older son looked after her.
We've waited seven years to get our present puppy , we only got her last weekend. Our older son lives nearby and we have some good home hoarding places nearby I'm planning on using when we ever get to go abroad again.
Can't help with costs as it's a few years since our last dog was at kennels
93 94 03 2023 DLP

Edited at 11:37 AM.
JudyC is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 09:32 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
When we lived in UK we used in we used kennels. Now we have people looking after all our animals.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 8
We are really lucky in that we have a friend who does a bit of dog walking/sitting and so she home boards mine, he feels really happy there and I know she looks after him probably better than I do 😂

I probably wouldn’t get a puppy if I had 2 x 2 week holidays booked though, you just don’t know what kind of dog they will be, completely happy to be looked after by anyone, or anxious and pine for you. Puppies can be hard work. My dog is more than happy home boarding with the right person but would hate kennels and as such I have never sent him there.
I used to travel the world, but tend to do 1-2 one week cruises now I have him, and several weekends, both UK and Europe.

Then I take him places, he loves a holiday, he’s gone all over the place with me. Round the NC500 was a highlight. Maybe because I don’t have kids though he is a bit of a child, I miss him terribly so 8 days is the longest he has been at the dog sitter.

I’d get your holidays out of the way, and look at a pup the spring after as toilet training is so much easier in spring.

What sort of dog are you thinking of getting?
Old 2 Dec 21, 09:36 PM  
Link to this Post
Claudette
VIP Dibber

Ours go to a local kennels, they know the people there well as they sometimes go for the day or for a night at the weekend if we have something on. It would be about £600 for two weeks for two dogs.

I don’t know how sitters work, but I wouldn’t want anyone living in my house and I don’t think one visit a day is enough contact for them. At the kennels they get to run around fields and play with other dogs and they love it.
Claudette is online now Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bellasmummy
Imagineer

Mobile

Various family members have had Tink so far, all worked out fine so we now have 3 different options.

Before we got her we checked that dfil was happy to have her, told no problem they’d be happy to have her. Once we got her and had our first trip they weren’t so sure anymore. They have had her twice for a week and said they’re happy to have her again but we figured it’s better to have a few options so they don’t get put upon.

We’ve a few trips booked for next year, she’ll go to dfil for the three week trip as they have a dog and don’t work so she’ll not be left at all. For the others we’ll alternate between our other two options as they’re shorter trips.

We wouldn’t put her in kennels as I don’t like the thought of it. Home boarding would be fine but she likes to sleep in our room and I don’t think she’d settle well otherwise.

If you’re going to use kennels/boarders make sure you stick to a routine that’ll work in those places too.
Bellasmummy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 09:44 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Ours go to a local kennels, they know the people there well as they sometimes go for the day or for a night at the weekend if we have something on. It would be about £600 for two weeks for two dogs.

I don’t know how sitters work, but I wouldn’t want anyone living in my house and I don’t think one visit a day is enough contact for them. At the kennels they get to run around fields and play with other dogs and they love it.
When I say dog sitter he moves in with her for the time we are away. He sleeps on her sofa and shares her marmalade on toast of a morning 😂
My sisters dog loves the kennels she uses too, but mine is a soppy sod who loves lots of one on one human contact. I think because he runs around playing with other dogs every day at the farm, of an evening he wants a humans knee, he isn’t really too bothered whose it is as long as they are friendly 😂
Old 2 Dec 21, 09:48 PM  
Link to this Post
Jillzo
slightly serious Dibber

Originally Posted by mitch84 View Post
We are really lucky in that we have a friend who does a bit of dog walking/sitting and so she home boards mine, he feels really happy there and I know she looks after him probably better than I do 😂

I probably wouldn’t get a puppy if I had 2 x 2 week holidays booked though, you just don’t know what kind of dog they will be, completely happy to be looked after by anyone, or anxious and pine for you. Puppies can be hard work. My dog is more than happy home boarding with the right person but would hate kennels and as such I have never sent him there.
I used to travel the world, but tend to do 1-2 one week cruises now I have him, and several weekends, both UK and Europe.

Then I take him places, he loves a holiday, he’s gone all over the place with me. Round the NC500 was a highlight. Maybe because I don’t have kids though he is a bit of a child, I miss him terribly so 8 days is the longest he has been at the dog sitter.

I’d get your holidays out of the way, and look at a pup the spring after as toilet training is so much easier in spring.

What sort of dog are you thinking of getting?
We've had a few dogs previous, so agreed toilet training can be... Interesting!
We are the same no kids, and 2 hols next year is a one off!
Jillzo is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 09:50 PM  
Link to this Post

Yes I agree if you’ve got a couple of holidays coming up get them out of the way first. Our son always looked after our dog when we were away, but I always hated leaving him.

It’s been over four years since we lost our dog, and we haven’t got another one as we had always intended travelling a lot more than work annual leave entitlements allowed when we both retired in 2017!
Oh well, got a couple of years out of it!

We won’t get another dog until we are done with foreign holidays, the thing is they become like your children and you don’t want to leave them and then you worry about them while you are away.I miss having a dog though.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Dec 21, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch84
Imagineer

mitch84's Reviews
Originally Posted by Jillzo View Post
We've had a few dogs previous, so agreed toilet training can be... Interesting!
We are the same no kids, and 2 hols next year is a one off!
If they are a one off I’d be tempted to get at least one if not both out of the way. If you are anything like me you’d be fretting about how they’d cope being left for so long when young, and ruin the holiday you paid all the pennies for