Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 14 Jan 22, 07:18 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by jdouds View Post
Hi west coast is great. Now I’ll throw a spanner, if you really want Disney I’d go to Florida. On the west coast there is so much to see and do we would be inclined to not bother with LA. Others will say they could spend 10 days there. As a compromise 2/4 days Disney /universal and the go explore. Coast rd, whale watching, white water rafting, Yosemite, walk up vernal falls ,San Fran ,Disney museum,Alcatraz,cycle over the bridge. This is just to give you some food for thought on some things you may not have thought of
Likewise, Disney came right at the bottom of our 2018 highlights and LA in general was no great pleasure. There are just so many other things to do.

Having said that, I am no Disneyite.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:05 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 07:21 PM  
Link to this Post
enjibenji
Imagineer

enjibenji's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
When we went in 2017 we done part of the pch1. The top bit was shut due to landslide so missed monterrey as had to drive the 101. We visited Solvang on the way south, lovely place. We stopped for 1 night at San simeon and also a night at Oxnard. You could fly into San Francisco and drive down. We have stayed at Santa Monica and highly recommend it. If you are staying or visiting burbank and into cars then a visit to West Coast customs is good for a couple of hours. Whatever you decide you will love California 😊

We didn't visit Disney or Universal lots of other things to do. Was hoping to visit San Diego last year but we all know what happened there.

Edited at 07:22 PM.
enjibenji is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 07:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jpgreagsby
Proud to wear my Ears

This is brilliant, thank you. OH would love to see the whales from Monterey and I’d love to drive the PCH. Santa Monica sounds lovely too. Will take a look at the threads
jpgreagsby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jan 22, 07:43 PM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

CFBoy really is the CA expert in planning - although I worked out of SD for over 10 years I learn something from every one of his posts - he has researched and gives and honest approach to all aspects . I throughly commend reading his threads 👍
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by megaflyer View Post
CFBoy really is the CA expert in planning - although I worked out of SD for over 10 years I learn something from every one of his posts - he has researched and gives and honest approach to all aspects . I throughly commend reading his threads 👍
You are very kind.

Planning maybe, doing no. There are many who have far wider experience than I when it comes to actually doing.

I am more of a budget conscious researcher and learner.

I am fortunate to have a job where I am on permanent standby and thus have many hours every day at work with nothing to do, other than research hotels, attractions, flights, airports etc etc.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:10 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 11:18 AM  
Link to this Post
MsSparkles
Excited about Disney

I've been to California 3 times and done the PCH twice - all holidays have been DIY as I find it cheaper than a package. I agree with the others, there is so much more to California than just Disney and the distances between places is definitely a big eye opener, especially if you're used to Orlando/Florida. We are booked to go back to CA this August and Disney/Universal isn't even a consideration. In fact, we've only been to Disneyland CA once as there's just so much more to see/do there!

How long have you got in California?

1990 - Disney World (I Drive), 1997 - Disney World (I Drive), 2007 & 2008 - Disneyland Paris, 2009 & 2011 - Disney World (I Drive & LBV) , 2013 - Disneyland California (offsite) - 2015 Disney World (BCL & LBV) , 2017 & 2022 Disney World (LBV) Plus many other US holidays and road trips (aiming to visit every state )
MsSparkles is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 11:30 AM  
Link to this Post
Beaker's Fluff
Imagineer

All sounds amazing.

1997/1998 Quality Inn.2006 Villa.2007&2008Fairfield
2013 LBV Resort and Spa 2015 Sheraton Times Sq.NY.
2016 Barcelo Teguise Beach 2016 Trump Int Toronto
2016 Xmas in NY.2018 LBV Resort And Spa 2019 Croatia Venice and Boston
Beaker's Fluff is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 03:33 PM  
Link to this Post
jpgreagsby
Proud to wear my Ears

Originally Posted by MsSparkles View Post
I've been to California 3 times and done the PCH twice - all holidays have been DIY as I find it cheaper than a package. I agree with the others, there is so much more to California than just Disney and the distances between places is definitely a big eye opener, especially if you're used to Orlando/Florida. We are booked to go back to CA this August and Disney/Universal isn't even a consideration. In fact, we've only been to Disneyland CA once as there's just so much more to see/do there!

How long have you got in California?
Hi, we are there for 2 weeks. Main reason for Disney is to do Galaxy’s Edge as we have never seen it in Florida, plus my son loves Universal so hope to do 3-4 days doing that. The rest we want to travel and see some sun too. We have agreed to go back just my OH and I to do San Fran, Alcatraz, Yosemite in a few years without the kids as we don’t think they will be overly fussed with this.
jpgreagsby is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 03:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Bad Pink Tink
Imagineer

Originally Posted by jpgreagsby View Post
Hi, we are there for 2 weeks. Main reason for Disney is to do Galaxy’s Edge as we have never seen it in Florida, plus my son loves Universal so hope to do 3-4 days doing that.
Universal Hollywood is very different to Orlando. Universal Hollywood is a working studio which has a theme park incorporated into it. The backlot tour is around the original Universal backlot and many of the buildings are still used, both the soundstages and bungalows.

Most people do it in one day, with day 2 to go back and do their favorites.

Harry Potter land is far smaller and has less attractions / areas than Orlando.

The actual size of Universal Hollywood is about half of Florida, approx 400 acres in Hollywood compared to approx 700 in Florida.

Florida has 31 attractions but Hollywood only has 15.
Bad Pink Tink is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jan 22, 11:39 PM  
Link to this Post
jdouds
Imagineer

Hi again whale watching is one of the best things we have ever done. We went with sanctuary cruises from moss landing which is about 20 mins dr above Monterey. On each trip they have a marine biologist on board who helps spot and of course give information about what is spotted. Of course with any trip weather etc can be a factor. If anyone in the party may be sea sick they hire out wrist bands that stop this happening
jdouds is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List