Notices
General Trip Planning Other Holiday Planning.

Old 17 Jan 22, 08:47 PM  
Link to this Post
wendy7654
VIP Dibber

Multi trip advice

Hi Dibbers

So looking at doing florida next year as it's my 60th, DD will be 21 and will also be her graduation year.

I fancy adding new york to the trip before going onto Orlando.

I have done some dummy flights to get an idea and wondering how to do it, should I look at flights from Man-Jfk then JFK to MCO and back to Mcr.

Just wonder what will be the cheaper and better way to do it as will need a hotel in JFK then will look at a hotel in Universal for a few nights then a villa for maybe 10 nights.

Never done a split stay before, how long would we need in New York ( never been before).

As it's a big year and after the last couple of years we have all had I feel like I want to treat us to a nice holiday.

Any advice on the best way to do it for ease is appreciated.

Thanks

Windwood Bay 2008/2009
DIBB Villa - Sandy Ridge 2010
Sandy Ridge Villa-2013
DIBB Villa - Westhaven July 2018

Hotel Elysee Val De Europe May 2015
Seqouia Lodge DLP Xmas/New Year 2015
Seqouia Lodge GF Xmas/New Year 2016
Sequoia Lodge GF Xmas/New Year 2017
Sequoia lodge May 2019- August 2022- Hopefully
wendy7654 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 08:55 PM  
Link to this Post
loldis
Imagineer

3 nights in New York was enough for me but it really depends how much you want to see both there and in Florida and how much time in total you can take.

I'm sure CFB will be along to provide a lot more detail as he loves multi-centre trips, but I would say to price both an open jaw (MAN-NYC outbound, MCO-MAN inbound) with a separate domestic flight for NYC-MCO and also a multi-city trip that has all three. And possibly two separate return flights, MAN-NYC and NYC-MCO. The latter would be my least preferred option as you'd have to check in again on the return. But all depends on what fares are available for which will be cheaper. I'd probably go into JFK if it were me, but would search NYC as it may open up more flight choices.

It's worth noting that domestic flights don't typically come with baggage, so make sure to add the cost on for that to flight prices.

Edited at 09:03 PM.
loldis is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Well, the route would make sense, but you would possible save by flying in and out of LHR and it might be worth it for the inconvenience. That is something for you to research.

JFK is a good place to arrive on a longhaul as it is in Queens and you can get the subway from there, direct and into Central Manhattan for, I believe $2.75pp. .. plus a further fee of $7.75 to use the air train to the subway from JFK. The economics might be just as good or nearly to get a cab or Uber, paying maybe a supplement to enter over the Brooklyn Bridge (iconic).

Where to stay? I would always suggest close to Times Sq, certainly within a couple of blocks on a brief looksee trip. If you want to splash a little, then the Hilton on Times Sq is right in the thick of it, directly above Madame Tussaud’s and with a lobby on floor 21. Our room was on the 48th facing N, very quiet indeed when you are that high! With hindsight, I should have asked for as high a possible and facing S. from the landings, there is a tremendous view of the Empire State, Chrysler, and all the way down to lower with One World etc. For a 60th, I would recommend it!
The Hilton puts you close to Central Park, 5th, Broadway etc, all in a comfortable walk, up Broadway and on to the park, the Back down 5th, taking in Trump Tower (go in), Macy’s etc and passing not far from Grand Central Station.
You are also a walk down the street heading West to USS Intrepid and also the River Cruises (Hornblower?).

How long?
Well, you would want to go up a real skyscraper and One World fits the bill for a reason to follow. Apart from anything else, it is incredible after a lift that takes just over a minute, to look down on the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges, Lady Liberty, Ellis Island, Staaten Ferry and much, much more.

In addition, I guesss that the World Trade Centre footprints and the museum underneath are right next door and it is highly likely that you will cry in there. It is brilliantly staged and a great tribute to those who lost their lives.

At your age, you may consider CBGB’s if that was your thing ( in the Bowery) Catz bar (when Harry met Sally), Pump Station 9 ( Ghostbusters) and plenty of other things.

A really good thing is a boat trip down the Hudson, round the bottom, up to Brooklyn Bridge, turn round and come back. It stops in the financial area next to One World and you can get off/get on. It is no coincidence that many of the most well known shots of NY skyscrapers are from the Water. These leave from around 200yds south of USS Intrepid.

Central Park is huge. There is no Central Perk, but there is a replica of the Friends Fountain. The Dakota, where John Lennon met is end is worth a look as you pass.

There are a few ideas. All in all, I would allocate 3 nights to get a really good feel, dependant on what you like maybe take in a show (not our thing so cannot advise).

Getting to Orlando.
I would be tempted to try and fly out of La Guardia, again in Queens, smaller and for simplicity, you would need a cab… or Newark, just to say that you have been in the State of New Jersey and also because in the terminal, they have a replica of CBGB, a little more as it was.

Orlando? Been many times, but I guess, so have you.

Happy planning!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:52 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 17 Jan 22, 09:25 PM  
Link to this Post
KarenG
Imagineer

There are lots of threads about New York in the General Trip Planning Forum

Personally I avoid staying in Times Square at all costs - I like to go, take a few photos of the madness and retreat! Most areas are well connected by public transport (or even walking, Manhattan is a brilliant walking city).

My favourite things to do are the High Line, Central Park, Top of the Rock and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge
Old 18 Jan 22, 12:25 AM  
Link to this Post
LittleMiss36
Excited about Disney

Hi Wendy,
Just to help you with ideas, we've booked the following for this august for 2A2C:

LHR-JFK and return MIA-LHR booked with virgin points £878 total
Train from Penn station to Washington union station £75
Flight from DCA-MCO £395 with AA
Car hire for 9 days MCO-MIA £290 (amazing tip on the Dibb to book through autocareurope.ie)

Got parking for 17 days and Premier Inn at LHR for £155
Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza 4 nights £459
The Madison Washington DC 3 nights £519
Loews Sapphire Falls 9 nights £1410

Appreciate its slightly different with Washington added in but may give you some ideas.

I've been to New York 4 times, taking kids for their first time and I think 4 nights will be enough for what we want to get done without rushing.

Happy to answer any questions.

87 - 89 - 93 - All @ Gateway Inn, Kirkman Rd. 97 - Holiday Inn Express, IDrive. 99 - Econolodge, Kissimmee. 00 - Quality Inn, IDrive. 01 - Villa, Windwood Cay. 07 - Villa, Indian point. 13 - Villa, Windsor Hills. 17 - Villa, Windsor Hills. 22 - NY/Washington DC/Sapphire falls. 23 - POFQ/Formosa Gdns/Marco Island. 24 - Dockside I&S
LittleMiss36 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Jan 22, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by LittleMiss36 View Post
Hi Wendy,
Just to help you with ideas, we've booked the following for this august for 2A2C:

LHR-JFK and return MIA-LHR booked with virgin points £878 total
Train from Penn station to Washington union station £75
Flight from DCA-MCO £395 with AA
Car hire for 9 days MCO-MIA £290 (amazing tip on the Dibb to book through autocareurope.ie)

Got parking for 17 days and Premier Inn at LHR for £155
Millennium Hilton New York One UN Plaza 4 nights £459
The Madison Washington DC 3 nights £519
Loews Sapphire Falls 9 nights £1410

Appreciate its slightly different with Washington added in but may give you some ideas.

I've been to New York 4 times, taking kids for their first time and I think 4 nights will be enough for what we want to get done without rushing.

Happy to answer any questions.
That is pretty much what we did first time.. and found that we preferred our time in Washington to that in NY for a short break, staying in Crystal City, just over the Potomac and a $10 cab to the Lincoln Memorial. Perfectly positioned!

Trouble was that despite being right next to Reagan Airport and direct flights to Orlando, I wanted to see the Enola Gay and some German/Japanese WW2 aircraft at the Hazy Centre and thus booked indirect flights from Dulles.. getting delayed then for a further 4 hours in Detroit due to weather. Oh how Mandie and the kids laughed!

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 09:10 AM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List