Notices
Car Hire & Transportation Discuss the best way of getting around Florida.

Old 15 Jan 22, 12:37 PM  
Link to this Post
ScottUTAH
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by mto View Post
I've booked with Virgin Holidays and am trying to do STC, but when I enter the booking reference (I've tried both the VH and VA reference numbers) i get the message

We're sorry, but there's something wrong with the reservation number you entered. Please try again or call us for assistance.

Anybody know what I'm doing wrong?
You need to email them and get your Alamo reference number as it's completely different to your virgin reference.
ScottUTAH is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 8 Feb 22, 09:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Kangaman
Looking for my Ears

Is it just Me?...

Hello all! - or G'day from UK I like to say!

I booked Alamo BRITS £535 for 13 days this coming Feb Holidays...

All good except when I have input named driver details ie Driving licence details...the page then zapps to todays price £900..not happy obviously with that... so i try putting NO details as i know from previous vistits you can add this at the exit gate...NOW i can't get passed the screen without doing so... what do i do - anyone had this issue please?

Edited at 09:14 AM.
Kangaman is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 22, 10:44 AM  
Link to this Post
flossy_h
Excited about Disney

Originally Posted by Kangaman View Post
Hello all! - or G'day from UK I like to say!

I booked Alamo BRITS £535 for 13 days this coming Feb Holidays...

All good except when I have input named driver details ie Driving licence details...the page then zapps to todays price £900..not happy obviously with that... so i try putting NO details as i know from previous vistits you can add this at the exit gate...NOW i can't get passed the screen without doing so... what do i do - anyone had this issue please?
I had an issue with skip the counter it tried to charge me the full amount again so have just left it. Will go to the desk when arrive.
flossy_h is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 9 Feb 22, 12:43 PM  
Link to this Post
fl-veteran
Imagineer

The funny thing with skip the counter is that since lots of people started using it the counter is actually not so bad. It's much faster / quieter, there might be a bit of low pressure upselling on insurance but nothing like my experiences from 15-20 years ago.

I would choose STC but going to the desk really doesn't bother me in the way it used to.
Old 9 Feb 22, 10:21 PM  
Link to this Post

Sorry for asking the most most basic questions regarding car hire but I have never driven in the US.
When I look at car hire, they all seem to be automatics, is it possible to get a manual transmission?
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 10 Feb 22, 08:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mick
VIP Dibber

mick's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Disneydads View Post
Sorry for asking the most most basic questions regarding car hire but I have never driven in the US.
When I look at car hire, they all seem to be automatics, is it possible to get a manual transmission?
Last November was the 38th time I've hired a car in Florida and never driven either a manual or a diesel car (or been offered one).

If it helps there's an excellent DIBB guide to driving in Florida on here. I say "excellent" as I've added to it a few times over the years. I'll link it if you want.

If you want to "chat" any more about driving it might be best starting a new thread as this one is specifically for experiences of skipping the counter with Alamo and other stuff might get lost.

Mick

Edited at 08:42 AM.
mick is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Apr 22, 05:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Pupbelly
Very Serious Dibber

Hello, I’ve managed to do the Accelerated Check in and then tried Skip the Counter but it’s saying it’s not possible.

Am I missing something?

The Alamo website says I just print off the agreement at a self service terminal. Is this the case or can I whizz through to the garage?

Sorry if this has previously been covered but don’t fancy reading 67 pages of thread.

Edited at 07:27 PM.
Pupbelly is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 22, 10:27 AM  
Link to this Post
PPM
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Disneydads View Post
They will all be autos. Mind you with an eight speed auto with paddle shift on some of the higher end cars, they will get a move on.
If not used to an auto, just pull your left foot back beside the seat and use right foot only. It’s as simple as press the accelerator for go and the brake for stop. Until you are used to it hold it at the lights or whenever you need to stop, on the brake, then just move to the go pedal to start off. It will also not roll back on a hill start, but hold its position.
Finally never use your left foot to brake, you will strangle everyone with the seatbelts as it violently brakes.
I used to be all for manual gears in a car, now I’ll never choose a manual. All my cars over the past 10 to 12 years have been autos.
PPM is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Apr 22, 08:08 PM  
Link to this Post
baw187
Trying for More Ears

Originally Posted by Pupbelly View Post
Hello, I’ve managed to do the Accelerated Check in and then tried Skip the Counter but it’s saying it’s not possible.

Am I missing something?

The Alamo website says I just print off the agreement at a self service terminal. Is this the case or can I whizz through to the garage?

Sorry if this has previously been covered but don’t fancy reading 67 pages of thread.
I got the same. I take it you booked through a third party? I tried the workaround but doesn’t look like that’s possible now. No problem though.
baw187 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 25 Apr 22, 02:45 PM  
Link to this Post
fiffio
Imagineer

having the same problem, booked through DFCH and done online check in but can't seem to get the barcode... tried the old trick of having a different window open logged into Alamo.com viewing the booking but not working.
fiffio is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List