Notices
Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 6 Apr 19, 09:58 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
A lot in my view.

The server has been in a tipped position that has existed for donkeys years. Certainly since I started going back in 1976. When did servers originally get tipped? I dont know maybe the 1950's?

The Bell Service scenario has been altered to my detriment. A company has levied a charge against me for no reason other than making a profit for themselves. They have a duty in my book to pass a percentage of that charge to their employee. Not me.
Hasn't Bell Services always been a tipped service too...probably as long as waitresses. Restaurants also make profits on everything they sell so in that respect no difference. So you could argue both businesses should recompense their staff sufficiently so no one tips
So the only real difference in this scenario is this levy is new to us

Edited at 10:00 AM.
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Mr Tom Morrow
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 3
Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Hasn't Bell Services always been a tipped service too...probably as long as waitresses. Restaurants also make profits on everything they sell so in that respect no difference. So you could argue both businesses should recompense their staff sufficiently so no one tips
So the only real difference in this scenario is this levy is new to us
I agree Bell Services has always been tipped and I have absolutely no issue with that at all and always tip when they deliver or take away my 2 lockers.

My point is if Disney charge me $6 for that service then I wont tip as its to my detriment and the goal posts have been moved. Only 1 loser, the bell boy but yet again Disney make more.

However we all do what we think is right. I reiterate my point, I wont be tipping if they charge me. If others disagree with me thats their right. If others agree with me then the same applies.

Anyhow I'm bored with this now and have washing to hang out. I really hope my Wife tips me as I have now introduced a £5 charge for performing this service even though it has been free for the last 36 years of our marriage.

"PAGING MR MORROW, MR TOM MORROW..."

''I drink Wine and know things''

DVC Owners at SSR since 2003.
Multiple annual visits to America since 1976
Mr Tom Morrow is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 10:19 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Mr Tom Morrow View Post
I agree Bell Services has always been tipped and I have absolutely no issue with that at all and always tip when they deliver or take away my 2 lockers.

My point is if Disney charge me $6 for that service then I wont tip as its to my detriment and the goal posts have been moved. Only 1 loser, the bell boy but yet again Disney make more.

However we all do what we think is right. I reiterate my point, I wont be tipping if they charge me. If others disagree with me thats their right. If others agree with me then the same applies.

Anyhow I'm bored with this now and have washing to hang out. I really hope my Wife tips me as I have now introduced a £5 charge for performing this service even though it has been free for the last 36 years of our marriage.
Oh dear
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Princesa
Imagineer

Mobile

I’d feel sorry making the bellhop miss out on wages over a couple of quid after spending thousands to be there.
Princesa is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 10:53 AM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

Some people need to get a grip and realise the world moves on and not everything will continued to be handed to you on a plate.

Grocery delivery, amazon etc is a relatively new thing (groceries in particular) and hotels are probably now bombarded with extra things from guests that were non existent a few years ago.

Fair play to them in my opinion, all this costs time and money and why should a guest have to wait for their bags because someone wants a few groceries delivered.

$6 is nothing to be honest

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 11:11 AM  
Link to this Post
suehen
Imagineer

I have always tipped the Bellhop's when they have delivered my grocery to our room usually about $10 so not sure now when we go in May now not sure if I need to tip bellhop anymore.
suehen is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 11:13 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Princesa View Post
I’d feel sorry making the bellhop miss out on wages over a couple of quid after spending thousands to be there.
Think you have a valid point ...for most of us the extra cost per holiday of these charges is likely to be $6...maybe if used once a week $12/$18 depending on stay which as you say is nowt compared to the cost of the holiday...I can live with that

Edited at 11:25 AM.
Old 6 Apr 19, 12:20 PM  
Link to this Post
Squidgyness
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by riversider2014 View Post
Some people need to get a grip and realise the world moves on and not everything will continued to be handed to you on a plate.

Grocery delivery, amazon etc is a relatively new thing (groceries in particular) and hotels are probably now bombarded with extra things from guests that were non existent a few years ago.

Fair play to them in my opinion, all this costs time and money and why should a guest have to wait for their bags because someone wants a few groceries delivered.

$6 is nothing to be honest
Hmmm, indeed. This is a new phenomenon or at least a recent one. I imagine it's totally impossible for Disney to hire a few people per resort to handle this increase in packages with the extremely high rates of pay they have to give their employees, thus FORCING them to delay customers getting their bags or introduce a charge. Thankfully I imagine this $6 charge will 100% go into hiring more staff to solve this problem and totally not disappear into the pockets of senior management. Look forwards to seeing swarms of bellhops handling luggage in the future.

Of course aside from the inconvenience it must be very hard financially on Disney even with this new charge, what with their insistence that onsite hotels be excellently priced and having never risen prices (and certainly not by above-inflation levels) in the whole decade or so since online delivery became common. Bless them, they must be struggling so hard with their total lack of relentless price increases.

They might even have to start charging for parking next, those poor executives can only afford 10 rolls royces this year and not 15. Can you imagine having to charge people to park at the hotels, even with the low, low prices of a Disney deluxe. I'll be donating a few bucks their way next year to avoid such a scenario.

So yes, "get a grip" people, and stop being such ungrateful ingrates, expecting actually decent levels of service for what you already pay. Let Disney charge you for things that were free, don't complain, what's the worst that could happen?

Yes $6 is nothing, which makes it all the more odd that they introduced it. It's just money for moneys sake, there is no way they were struggling but now that $6 will make all the difference.
96/98/03/06/09 - Offsite Kissimmee/I-Drive
17/18 - Universal RPR

Edited at 12:24 PM.
Squidgyness is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 12:39 PM  
Link to this Post
riversider2014
Apprentice Imagineer

Mobile

I think my point is made, and it still stands.

Probably spend more than that on a couple of teas at the airport.

God forbid you might have to decide to walk down to reception to pick it up yourself.

March 2015 - http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=865148
riversider2014 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 6 Apr 19, 12:52 PM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

This annoys me. More Disney greed. However I would still feel compelled to tip the low wage earner so my compromise will be to collect. Or send DH who last time I checked was still free to do jobs on demand 😂