Old 17 Apr 19, 10:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by disney332 View Post
Whilst i agree its annoying, on a practical basis, I would check the policy with the check in person and work within the rules.

If it means cash and limited or no charging, then so be it

You will still have a great time either way

Disney332
I know just sometimes silly things really get to you.

I think the issue is, like with many Disney rules, it’s a bit ambiguous!

Still this time in two weeks I’ll be on the plane.

Woohooo
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 06:04 AM  
Link to this Post

What is the change of policy? I don’t understand what is going on.

Edited at 07:55 AM.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 07:21 AM  
Link to this Post
sha9
VIP Dibber

sha9's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 5
Mobile

I have a reasonable limit on my credit card so the rolling holds don’t bother me but I had hoped to use the gift card to pay it off. My understanding of the new system was that it would charge to the card every 5 days so as long as you had paid off the balance before then it’d be fine? I may end up using the gift card to pay rather than charging to the room but I find the room charging more convenient because you then don’t need to worry if you spend more than the balance of the gift card.

Trip Report Index
sha9 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 07:40 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

I haven’t seen the new policy so this thread is the first I have read of it. Am I right in understanding that unless you pay your balance every four days, there is a $100 hold charge on the card? Surely then, you could just pay every four days and avoid any holds? Or am I completely misunderstanding the hold terms?

If the hold is placed, is it then lifted when the balance is paid? Or at the end of the stay?
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 07:57 AM  
Link to this Post

Originally Posted by DisneyDaffodil View Post
I haven’t seen the new policy so this thread is the first I have read of it. Am I right in understanding that unless you pay your balance every four days, there is a $100 hold charge on the card? Surely then, you could just pay every four days and avoid any holds? Or am I completely misunderstanding the hold terms?

If the hold is placed, is it then lifted when the balance is paid? Or at the end of the stay?
Is that it? Don’t all hotels put a hold charge? If they didn’t take a hold charge they might as well not bother taking card details at all.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:07 AM  
Link to this Post
DisneyDaffodil
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Is that it? Don’t all hotels put a hold charge? If they didn’t take a hold charge they might as well not bother taking card details at all.
Well, that’s how I’m understanding it from this thread but maybe someone will correct me if I’m wrong 😂 . We always pay our balance every three or four days at Disney simply to check how much we are spending, so it won’t make any difference to us. It would also seem the easiest way to avoid the hold. Much easier than taking cash or gift card out each day
DisneyDaffodil is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Gill H
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 86
Guidebook Reviews: 24
Mobile

Yes, you can use a debit card, we did. The US doesn’t tend to call them debit cards though, I think they call them all credit cards, so there may be a misunderstanding there.

I don’t really see the problem. Surely if you do what we did on both our visits - give them the debit card but pay off the balance every few days with something different - then there are no charges? If you aren’t going to use the debit card on holiday otherwise, surely not a problem?

Those taking cash - check how much your insurance covers. It can be quite low. And hotel safes can and do get robbed in WDW just like anywhere else. It’s rare but it can happen.

Old fashioned it may be, but we took TCs and used them to pay off our balance every couple of days. Much safer than cash.
Other parks: Tokyo
Gill H is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:16 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7

disneyworld.disney.go/en...vX1FbBpZldd284

My understanding is they place $100 hold on check in. You then spend $101 on your account. They then take another $100 hold as you’ve used up the first one. So if you spent $101 every day, you could have $400 hold on the card then on day 5 they will charge your card $400 and release the holds. However. It takes 10 days to release the hold so you are down the $400 you have spent and the $400 on hold.

We also have a relatively low credit limit. So this concerns me too. I’m considering using a different card for the hold and then paying it off as I go. Or just paying with my card around the parks. But I’m not sure how that affects my bank charges.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
Yes, all hotels out on charges, but rarely at most hotels will you be shopping eating and buying all day long In the hotel complex.

Once you go over the $100 then another $100 hold is incurred, every five days the amount owed is removed from the card, with the original hold staying so technically you could have $1500 holds on the card. I have Emailed WDW for clarification of this point as it doesn’t sound correct but that’s how it reads

Now for those with large credit limits or those happy to come back with CC debts fair enough. For those with limited funds and who want to charge to the account but pay off in cash it’s an issue. Some people have had to wait several days after the holiday for holds to come off thier cards, meaning they had less funds available when they left for another resort etc

When I last went (2009) we had a limited applied , I believe it was $700. We could pay it off with cash every now and again or at the end

I totally understand the policy about having a hold, and it surprising that WDW haven’t done this before BUT the rolling $100 hold and they deduction off the card every five days impacts many on a budget.

It would be better, IMHO, to be able to “put” money on the account for charging, not everyone has large CC limits.

On another group many Americans I using gift cards rather than credit cards against the account.

It’s not a big deal it’s just annoying that if we use our bands to charge the room we have to make sure they don’t take the money from the account before we’ve had a chance to go to front desk

Of course the other option is to not charge the band for anything, which is our other option and dependong on how it goes for the first few days probably what we will do and therefore curb impulse spending.
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Apr 19, 08:17 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Gill have you used travellers cheques recently?
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List