Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 11 May 19, 09:09 AM  
Link to this Post
Omega1
Imagineer

He’s ‘clearly’ not suited to a managerial role.
Omega1 is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 09:13 AM  
Link to this Post
pepsicube
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
Was he? or was it more a passive aggressive comment about female workers...maybe he saw this as an opportunity to have a go at some of his staff.

Of course we don't know because neither of us were there, don't know the man himself and his sense of humour or the working in environment so how you can you establish he "was clearly ' trying to make a joke
I didn’t say whether the joke was in good or bad taste, but he can’t have been expressing a valid opinion.
pepsicube is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
coggie
Imagineer

Originally Posted by pepsicube View Post
I didn’t say whether the joke was in good or bad taste, but he can’t have been expressing a valid opinion.
I know you didn't and I didn't suggest you did.
However you've done it again, without being there you have now decided he couldn't have been making a valid opinion...
coggie is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 09:18 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

I must come from 100 years ago them, because I don’t see why it’s so bad.
Why get so annoyed? Yes, if he was talking about a woman it would’ve been totally inappropriate, but he was clearly trying to make a joke.
As we have seen recently that old ''it was only a joke' will not cut it anymore for people to hide behind.

Not really sure why periods are even funny about a male or female and why is one more appropriate to 'joke' about than the other?
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 09:44 AM  
Link to this Post
pepsicube
Imagineer

Originally Posted by coggie View Post
I know you didn't and I didn't suggest you did.
However you've done it again, without being there you have now decided he couldn't have been making a valid opinion...
Well if you’re going to take that approach how can you be certain I wasn’t there?
pepsicube is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 09:55 AM  
Link to this Post
pepsicube
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Chilli-pepper View Post
As we have seen recently that old ''it was only a joke' will not cut it anymore for people to hide behind.

Not really sure why periods are even funny about a male or female and why is one more appropriate to 'joke' about than the other?
I assume you’re talking about Danny Boyle, Yes it was clearly a joke with no racism intended, but very poor taste and not even funny. Don’t think he deserved to be sacked though, maybe suspended for a while.

The Period “joke”, again inappropriate and not funny, but no reason to get so wound up.
Obviously more inappropriate to joke about a woman, because it could have been true.
Old 11 May 19, 09:56 AM  
Link to this Post
sully301
Imagineer

i think sometimes we have become a little sensitive about things. We had an email at work the other day about banter and how sometimes what we think as appropriate, isn't to other people and to think before we say anything. I work in a hospital and we use banter between staff to survive emotionally through some pretty tough times, i would never want to upset anyone though!

If this was a one off attempt at a joke i'd let it go but if it was sustained and part of a chauvinistic approach then i would have to deal with it - either by raising it to the appropriate person or i'd take my expertise elsewhere.
Feb 2003 AKL, April 2003 Villa, June 2003 ASMu Nov 2003 OKW, Dec 2003 CSR & PVR, Aug 2007 Pop Century, Aug 2011 RPR & OKW, Dec 2012 POFQ & BLT. Aug 2015 Disney Magic, Sep 2016 ASsports, Sep 2019 OKW, March 2020, Holiday Inn Celebration. 2021 CSR, Sep 22 Pop Century, BLT & AKL. Feb23 Dockside US. Aug 23 Disney Dream, Jan 24 ASSp Sep 2024 ASSp
sully301 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 10:08 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

I assume you’re talking about Danny Boyle, Yes it was clearly a joke with no racism intended, but very poor taste and not even funny. Don’t think he deserved to be sacked though, maybe suspended for a while.

The Period “joke”, again inappropriate and not funny, but no reason to get so wound up.
Obviously more inappropriate to joke about a woman, because it could have been true.
I take it you were also with Danny Boyle when he did the tweet as you seem to 'clearly' know what people are thinking when they say or do something , or perhaps you are psychic?
Chilli-pepper is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 11 May 19, 10:09 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

First of all totally unacceptable to say that.

If the boss had been female and the supplier also female and she had referred to her having Man Flu this week, would that have been more acceptable?
Old 11 May 19, 10:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Chilli-pepper
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
First of all totally unacceptable to say that.

If the boss had been female and the supplier also female and she had referred to her having Man Flu this week, would that have been more acceptable?
No it's not acceptable - I just don't understand why people want to make any comment to someone knowing that it is a derogatory term (not you as I appreciate this was an example)