Accommodation Hotels, Resorts, Villas Questions and Info

Old 14 Jun 19, 03:22 PM  
Link to this Post
Tinkerbell
Imagineer

Tinkerbell's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 1
Personal choice. I’ve stayed all over the world, never tipped housekeeping, I don’t see WDW as any different and TBH I’m unsure why people do, but as I say, personal choice
Tinkerbell is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 14 Jun 19, 03:46 PM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Hoping for towel animals... I'll tip!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 06:50 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Housekeeping isn't a tipped position. None of the Americans I got chatting to last year tip them. They said only foreigners do!
All the American friends I have who live there and visit Disney tip Mousekeeping. It’s personal choice. Have a look at all the US based art websites with tipping envelopes with Disney designs you can download and I think you’ll see there is a US audience who also choose to tip Mousekeeping. It isn’t a listed tipped position though that’s right.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 07:29 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

I don’t tip, we leave it extremely tidy, and they are getting big pay rises to something like $15 an hour. To pay for it my DVC dues went up nearly 10% last year, and will be similar this year. So unless one went above and beyond, no tip from me. They also had the chance to turn it into a tipped position, and voted no.
Old 15 Jun 19, 07:32 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Many cleaners in the U.K. would kill for $15 an hour, average pay for a U.K. cleaner is £7.82. Logic suggests we should be tipping the UK cleaners!. Given Disney housekeepers are now some of the best paid anywhere, logic also suggests it’s the one place you maybe don’t tip.

clickorlando/news/ne...n-hour-by-2021

Of course, if someone wants to tip, that’s entirely up to them. When they were paid less, I could see more of an argument for it. But no one should in any way feel obligated to tip now.

I’ve never had a poor service with no tipping, and if I did I’d be straight onto the manager, when they are earning $15 an hour, the service should be top notch.

Edited at 07:42 AM.
YorkshireT is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 08:42 AM  
Link to this Post
scoobydooby
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by YorkshireT View Post
I don’t tip, we leave it extremely tidy, and they are getting big pay rises to something like $15 an hour. To pay for it my DVC dues went up nearly 10% last year, and will be similar this year. So unless one went above and beyond, no tip from me. They also had the chance to turn it into a tipped position, and voted no.
Well. $15 by 2021 it’s staggered. Then only agreed until 2022. However my next trip in 2020 they will be getting $14 an hour. That will influence my previous tipping habits to be honest as that’s a decent wage.
scoobydooby is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
caj
VIP Dibber

caj's Reviews
Mobile

Thanks YT, i didn't know about their wages. When I first joined the dibb, mousekeeping envelope making was on many peoples craft to do list. Now I don't see it mentioned. Clearly this is why. Times change!
caj is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 10:45 AM  
Link to this Post
YorkshireT
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by scoobydooby View Post
Well. $15 by 2021 it’s staggered. Then only agreed until 2022. However my next trip in 2020 they will be getting $14 an hour. That will influence my previous tipping habits to be honest as that’s a decent wage.
Totally correct Scooby, but they won't reduce it after 2022, then the unions will want to negotiate new increases. Our DVC dues have gone up a lot due to this. I don't mind really if they are then decently paid, but they can't expect us to pay all this, then tips on top.
Old 15 Jun 19, 10:52 AM  
Link to this Post
THECRAZYMOUSE
VIP Dibber

Mobile

That is not by any means good hourly rate for the US. We will still be tipping a few dollars. But then I don’t have the time or inclination to find out what everyone’s wages are to use as justification for not tipping! But that’s just me do what you feel is right obviously 🙂
THECRAZYMOUSE is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 15 Jun 19, 01:25 PM  
Link to this Post
DiszeeBelle
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Claudette View Post
I have never tipped housekeeping anywhere in the world. I do not know anyone else that does either. I only heard of it when I joined this forum.
I didn't realise people tipped either. I know when im abroad ( not been to U.S yet, July is our trip) I just leave all my change on the dresser at the of our holiday for housekeeping to have but otherwise I don't and was becoming concerned as to what to do as it would start eating into budget if do it everyday. I know it might not be much to some but we've saved really hard for this trip and have had some unexpected bills to pay so was trying to keep it to a minimum with service charges etc at meals etc. I'm not tight but trying to be careful as I do have a tight hubby haha

Edited at 01:30 PM.
DiszeeBelle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List