Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 18 Aug 19, 11:04 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

There’s no way I could teach until I’m that age. And who would want a 70 year old teacher? 🙄
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:10 AM  
Link to this Post
ERICSMUM
Imagineer

Mobile

I found out only last week that I get my state pension at 66. I’ll be 64 in Sept and was under the illusion I’d get it next year.

Not happy. When I signed up for work in 1974 my “contract” with the government was pension at 60 !

Luckily I have a company pension which I am drawing already.
ERICSMUM is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:14 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ERICSMUM View Post
Not happy. When I signed up for work in 1974 my “contract” with the government was pension at 60 !
I think you should retire at the age that the state retirement age was when you started working.

So if when you started contributing to your pension the state retirement age was 60 then that’s what it should be.

If it’s 65 as I think it was when I started work, then I should be able to receive it then.
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:16 AM  
Link to this Post
MarionG
Imagineer

This is me too. When I started work at 16 in 1972 I was told I would get my state pension at 60. Now it will be 66. Luckily I have a pension from the bank I worked for and hubby has both but would have been nice to have have had my pension when I thought I was going to get it!
MarionG is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:17 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Mobile

It's constantly moving the goal posts. Like already said if we all pop off knackered at 70/75 they are on a winner. The thought of me doing the job I do at that age makes me shudder. Not sure my brain and body will be sharp enough to make important clinical decisions. I see so many people who work all there lives and then drop down weeks/months after retirement. I want to be physically and mentally fit to enjoy some retirement like most people.
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:20 AM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

Originally Posted by soooexcited! View Post
It's constantly moving the goal posts. Like already said if we all pop off knackered at 70/75 they are on a winner. The thought of me doing the job I do at that age makes me shudder. Not sure my brain and body will be sharp enough to make important clinical decisions. I see so many people who work all there lives and then drop down weeks/months after retirement. I want to be physically and mentally fit to enjoy some retirement like most people.
Exactly! And if they constantly keep moving them what age will it be by the time we eventually get to retire.
Link to this Post
Disneyphile
Apprentice Imagineer

My dad is 72 and still working but he loves his job. I can’t see myself happily doing the same.
I joined the police at 22 so should have been retiring at 52, however the goal posts were moved and are likely to get moved again. Who wants a bunch of geriatric coppers protecting us?!
Disneyphile is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Link to this Post
Lindaelaine
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
There’s no way I could teach until I’m that age. And who would want a 70 year old teacher? 🙄
It’s ludicrous to think that all people are expected to work at such an age , yes of course people do work at that age but it depends what job they are doing and what their state of health is . surely this increasing of age is going to cause all sorts of problems with a knock on effect , there will be all sorts of jobs that a 70 year old will be unfit to do , it’s how the government will deal with this that’s the worry , will they step in if someone is unfit for the job ? Will there be a benefit for those people who can no longer work simply because the job they do is too demanding for someone their age ? It’s all very well thinking that people live longer now but it doesn’t alter the fact that many of those people aren’t actually fit to work .
It won’t be long before there will be no such thing as a State Pension , it’s heading that way now .
Aug 2018...Westridge. Aug 2019... Miami & Solterra Resort
Lindaelaine is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:29 AM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

It makes me angry. I also started working expecting to retire at 60. Now looking at 66 and no doubt it will be later again.

I can see us selling the house and living in a caravan to be able to retire.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 18 Aug 19, 11:34 AM  
Link to this Post
soooexcited!
Imagineer

soooexcited!'s Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 5
Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
Exactly! And if they constantly keep moving them what age will it be by the time we eventually get to retire.
Like lots of people my pension age has moved already. The pension I've paid in to is now not worth what it was at the start of my career. It's now split the first part having the better benefits the latter not so good. I'm knackered now at nearly 50. I've worked in the NHS since 16. The thought of doing this job til I'm 75 is enough to carry me off. Can't access my total rewards to look at the state of play. I'd love to be able to go at 55/60 and go back to work in a much less physically and mentally demanding job. If the government get their way people will be dropping down on the job.
soooexcited! is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List