Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 24 Jan 20, 10:29 AM  
Link to this Post
megaflyer
Imagineer

Mobile

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Totally ineffective. We used them in the operating theatres to prevent splashes on us and spittle etc on patient. When I last looked at research their effectiveness was about 30 minutes unless you have a full blown breathing type mask as used in orthopedics.

bbc/news/health-51205344

Interesting that they now say there is some evidence that masks DO offer some protection but not in the conventional way ... I guess if it was me in an effected area I may try anything and looking silly would be worst of my worries
megaflyer is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 10:38 AM  
Link to this Post
PoohBears#1fan
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Tinkerbell View Post
Totally ineffective. We used them in the operating theatres to prevent splashes on us and spittle etc on patient. When I last looked at research their effectiveness was about 30 minutes unless you have a full blown breathing type mask as used in orthopedics.

Some are as little as 3 minutes, but it does largely depend on the mask, we looked at this in depth when I worked in IPC.

When I see someone in a mask I assume they have respiratory TB.
PoohBears#1fan is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 05:27 PM  
Link to this Post
Lumpy
slightly serious Dibber

Well I've just come back from China with a bad cough and cold, didn't go to Wuhan and think it's more likely to be due to the -25c temperatures at the Ice festival in Harbin. All of the 14 people held for testing in the UK have been found to be free of the virus.
Lumpy is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

There are reports and pictures supposedly of China building a 1,000 bed hospital in 6 days.

Is there evidence that that’s true?
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Loulou127
Imagineer

Originally Posted by ROBBOTOO View Post
There are reports and pictures supposedly of China building a 1,000 bed hospital in 6 days.

Is there evidence that that’s true?
Yes, it was featured on the bbc evening news, but they said 10 days and they are just clearing the ground, there were lots of small jcb’s on the footage x
Loulou127 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
JudgeJ26
Imagineer

Mobile

There have now been two confirmed cases in France.
JudgeJ26 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 08:57 PM  
Link to this Post
ROBBOTOO
Imagineer

Originally Posted by Loulou127 View Post
Yes, it was featured on the bbc evening news, but they said 10 days and they are just clearing the ground, there were lots of small jcb’s on the footage x
That’s frightening in terms of beds needed and getting a hospital built in that timescale!
ROBBOTOO is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 09:00 PM  
Link to this Post
Clare
Imagineer

Clare's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 6
Restaurant Reviews: 6

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 17
Guidebook Reviews: 1
Not surprised at all, people were travelling before this hit the news, then before the travel restrictions hit, so they’re already out and about. Then you’ve people who may not necessarily be in a quarantined area but may still decide to travel and potentially cover up any symptoms, as per the woman in the media. I don’t see how it can be contained now, it’s already outside China. Just hope it either fizzles out or the mortality rate continues to be low.
Clare is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 24 Jan 20, 10:25 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_daddy
Excited about Disney

Loads of videos surfacing on Twitter of chaos in Chinese hospitals including bodies left on the floors of corridors and people just collapsing in the streets, obviously no way to verify if true, but we have a secretive Chinese government, I will bet you a mars bar they have under reported the scale of this.
Old 24 Jan 20, 10:34 PM  
Link to this Post
Posiesmum
VIP Dibber

Posiesmum's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 3

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 2
Guidebook Photos: 3
A colleague and I were due to go to Shanghai to deliver training next week and our trip has been cancelled.

Villefranche-sur-Mer/Monaco - June and July 2024
Orlando for Thanksgiving - November/December 2024
Belfast/Dublin/Vancouver - June 2025
Posiesmum is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List