Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.

Old 22 Jan 20, 10:00 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

How easy to work in US for 3 months?

I’m hoping someone has a brief answer if this is possible.

DD is considering a semester at a US uni for her course and she thinks she can work part time as part of this on a student visa.

How easy would it be for her fiancé to get a 3 month visa to work as an electrician and join her there?

If it will be to difficult for him to go, then she won’t bother applying.

Cheers
Fluff
fluff48 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:41 PM  
Link to this Post
vowels
Imagineer

I am not sure of the viability of working on a student visa but I am aware of the benefits of studying abroad, even for a few months.

One nephew studied in Arizona for three months, another in Seville for a year and a niece spent a year in New York. They all said that studying abroad opened new learning opportunities, new friendships and an opportunity to experience another country more as a local than as a tourist. Our niece now works in New York and a nephew in Seville, in part because of the contacts they made but mostly because they took advantage of the opportunity to enhance their learning. Our other nephew has just gone on holiday with the friends he made in Arizona.

Please ask your daughter to reconsider going on her own if necessary, this is an experience she should grasp.
vowels is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:51 PM  
Link to this Post
scooby99
Imagineer

No experience but I’d say almost impossible as an electrician?
Don’t think his UK qualification is valid in the US; he would need to retrain?

An employer sponsored visa is a route some take but he would need to already have a US job offer before applying for the visa plus don’t think a sparky is a trade/skill that the US are short on & therefore unlikely to be one which qualifies for this.

Don’t think he can go out on an ESTA; that’s for holidays only & prohibits working.

A friend married a US citizen & moved there; he applied for the spousal visa; he needed to prove that his salary was sufficient to support them both; probably not applicable here as they’re not married & she’s unlikely to be earning a salary of that nature.
My friend’s application took around a year or so; she wasn’t allowed to work at all during that time.

Any employer out there will need to see proof that the US authorities have given permission to work.

Edited at 10:55 PM.
scooby99 is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:53 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Guidebook Reviews: 7
Mobile

Depending on how old her fiancé is there is a Bunac program which offers short term visas but I think it tends to be in the summer.

I agree with the previous poster. 3 months is not long. With Skype and potentially a holiday from her fiancé in the middle it wouldnt be too long to be seperated for what should be a worthwhile experience
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 10:55 PM  
Link to this Post
BevS97
VIP Dibber

BevS97's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 7

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 9
Guidebook Photos: 18
Mobile

Actually Bunac is only for university students.
BevS97 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 20, 11:48 PM  
Link to this Post
fluff48
Apprentice Imagineer

Thanks everyone, got waylaid laying a carpet.

I Knew the dibbers would know. I didn’t think it would be viable and we already suggested she goes and he goes for a holiday during her time away. I Think she thought it would be a chance for them both to see another country for an extended period before settling down.

I think she can also go to European countries but not sure how that will stand for him going after brexit. She may look at that instead.

Cheers
Fluff
fluff48 is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 12:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Heluvsme
Dancing with Tink'

I live in the US, and whenever someone calls an electrician to come fix something, more times than not they bring an intern with them, someone who is not fully licensed but is working on it. If her boyfriend is licensed in the UK, but not here, I bet he could easily get hired on as an intern, or apprentice.
But I agree with the previous poster, your daughter will benefit so much from studying abroad. My daughter went to Oxford for a term and it was so amazing for her! Such an invaluable experience!
Heluvsme is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 05:24 AM  
Link to this Post

I used to be a regular on an expat forum and I think it would be impossible to work in the US as an electrician. A job offer would be required first and even if he got a job offer (very unlikely), I do not believe the company would succeed in getting a visa for him. The temporary work visas are capped, they allocate them at specific times of the year and are normally only allocated to jobs that require a university degree.

britishexpats/wiki/Pulas...ork_in_the_USA
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 06:49 AM  
Link to this Post
lov2dibb
VIP Dibber

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 11
My son is at uni in the USA so obviously on a student visa but he is only allowed to work on campus in a university appointed position. If he were to do any other unapproved paid work at all his visa would be revoked.

I expect your daughter's visa would only allow her to do similar on-campus jobs and if she's only there for one semester there might not be many jobs open to her.

I'm no expert on her boyfriend's status but the US authorities are very strict and I doubt he would be allowed to work at all.

But why would she not bother applying because her boyfriend couldn't go? To give up a great opportunity for what amounts to just a few weeks apart would be madness and something she'd probably regret down the line.
lov2dibb is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 20, 08:48 AM  
Link to this Post
Dayle
Imagineer

This is such a great opportunity for her. I would be tempted to encourage her to think about appling anyhow and as you say he could go over for a holiday (she would only be gone for 5 weeks if he went in the middle) DD did a placement year in London as part of her degree but many of her friends did a year abroad including one of her best friends who went to Canada whilst her boyfriend went to Australia (they met for Christmas in Canada)they are still together 2 years on!
Dayle is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List