Notices
Walt Disney World and Florida Trip Reports Trip Reports and Videos

Old 29 Aug 16, 08:58 AM  
Link to this Post
leighlee
Getting Excited

I Will Use Up All My Meal Credits If It Kills Me Trip Report - May 2016 - Day 12 - AK Blizzard Beach

Day 12 - Monday May 9th – A very angry mom plus Animal Kingdom and Blizzard Beach

Sorry for the delay in posting this day of the report. It was all ready to post last week and I asked my sister to have a quick read of it. She managed to delete everything so I had a strop and refused to do it all again (being the mature and grown up person I am).

Today it was EMH at Animal Kingdom, so we got there early once again and we were at the front of the queue. I really love the new scanners that have replaced the turnstiles to get into the parks as the queues move so much faster now. I also love that they don’t hold you at the Tree of Life anymore waiting for rope drop, so that crowds build up leading to a scrum to get to the ride first.

So once again it was a chilled walk up to the Safari ride, with no runners. We ended up at the front of the queue which was a first. We had another really good tour guide and a couple of the highlights included one of the black rhinos going for a run around, the Thompsons Gazelle also started running around and started pronking (bouncing), which the tour guide got really excited about as he had only seen them do that a few times. Finally, as we were passing the lions, the male got up and walked around and then started calling which I have never seen before. The usual animal photos below

We then headed over to Dinosaur and took the opportunity to ride it 3 times in a row again which was fab. We also walked the Maharaja Trail before it got too busy.

Look out for the baby in the photo below.

Our first fast pass for Kilimanjaro Safaris was now open, so we headed back there and had another really interesting tour guide who was very funny and informative and kept a straight face when an adult asked how all the animals were separated (his answer was something along the lines of we are in the wild so there are no barriers the animals are just really polite and stay in their areas (gotta keep it real for the little ones eh!).

After that we walked the Pangani Forest Trail, but it was quite busy so we didn’t stay long.

We did see a cute baby meercat that was tiny.

Sadly the baby Zebra that we had heard about which I think was about 5 months old was nowhere to be seen.

We then stopped for an early lunch at Yak & Yeti. We had the Beef Teriyaki and the Korean BBQ chicken (2 meal credits OOP would have been $38.49). We preferred the Teriyaki chicken to the BBQ.

We did a little bit of shopping which was just an Animal Kingdom Bag and an Ariel Topper with pom pom deely boppers and then we headed out of the park and got straight on a resort bus as we wanted to go to Blizzard Beach and all the resort buses stopped there before going on to the resorts.

We played some mini golf first on the Winter Summerland Miniature Golf Course (we chose the winter course). Luckily it was not as busy as the Fantasia Gardens course, so it did not take long to play.

Then we headed into the water park and headed straight for the lazy river, for a relaxing ride around the park. It seemed to take ages, but there is a good chance that we went round more than once as we totally forgot where we got on.

Finally we went into the main pool and grabbed a couple of inner tubes and bobbed around in the waves for quite a while which we both loved. We were just heading out of the pool when the waves stopped, so that was good timing. We thought the waves kept going all day as we had been in the pool for ages.

It was scorching by now with not a cloud in the sky, so as there was not much shade to be had we didn’t go on any slides as the queues were too long to bother with. We had had a good time though, so decided it was a good time to head out of the park.

Unfortunately, we then ended up waiting over 40 minutes for a bus back to POFQ:angry:. I think in the end they sent a special bus for us as there was nobody else on it, so not sure what happened to the buses from Animal Kingdom, maybe they were all packed and couldn’t stop to pick us up at Blizzard Beach.

We were really hungry at this point so ordered an Uber to take us to International Drive from POFQ, so that we could eat at one of our favourite restaurants Bahama Breeze. The Uber cost a bargain $12.26 which we were amazed by. I dread to think how much a taxi would have cost. We ordered Jerk Chicken Pasta, Chorizo Chicken Pasta, a BahamaRita drink and a Lemon Breeze drink. We ordered Banana Bread Pudding for dessert. The food was some of the best we had eaten on this holiday and we really regret not having the time to go back to Idrive during this holiday so we could go to Olive Garden and Friendly’s which are some of our favourite places to eat. I remember in the past that Bahama Breeze used to have flat bread pizzas for starters which were delicious but they don’t do them anymore which is a shame.

Then we went to Walgreens to do some shopping mainly more makeup and toiletries that we didn’t need, we did browse around Pointe Orlando (not worth the bother), we thought about checking out the place that’s replaced the Mercado Centre but it was too hot so we didn’t bother and ordered an Uber to take us back to POFQ. We had to go back and stand outside Bahama Breeze to use their Wi-Fi so we could connect to the Uber app. The trip only cost $11.56.

We had a rest then headed back out to catch a bus to Epcot as we wanted to watch Reflections of Earth. Before that started, we headed for the single rider line to ride Test Track as we didn’t have a fast pass. The queue was only 10 minutes which was pretty good. We also did some shopping and rode Spaceship Earth. After watching ROE, we called it a night and caught a bus back to POFQ.

The bus stop was pretty busy and we had to wait 10 minutes for a bus to come. We were near the front, so we knew we would get on the first bus, but there were some pretty angry people at the back of the queue, because just as the bus arrived a cheeky teenage boy just walked right to the front of the queue and got on first. Of course no one called him out directly, but a few people did give him a dirty look as they passed him when boarding the bus, but he had absolutely no shame at all and just ignored everyone. In the end everyone managed to get on the bus, so there was no need for him to be so ignorant, but the manners of some people (kids and adults) is just atrocious. The fact that his mum let him get away with it as well is a great reflection on her.

The only other excitement happened when we were tucked up in bed watching TV. We heard shouting (which is pretty rare in Disney) and it was so loud, we turned down the TV to find out what was going on. We then realised it was the people in the room next door, who had only arrived that day. The mum was very angry at her kids and I mean angry. She was practically growling at them and I truly have never heard anything like it. She f-bombed quite a bit and the gist was that the kids were very ungrateful and they had no idea the hard work that went into being able to afford this kind of holiday (true that). It’s very rare that you hear someone that angry, but as no one appeared to be getting killed we turned the TV back up and let them get on with it. They were gone the next day, so not sure if it was just a flying visit or if the mum was just too mad to stay any longer. I guess we will never know. Drama over we quickly fell asleep.

QSDP – 2 meal credits used today/ 0 snack credit used (34 QSDPs left/7 snack credits left)

Value of QS meals/snacks to date $609.68

Day 13 – Scary Uber Ride, BOG Again & Florida Mall

Trip Report Index

Leigh
1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005 - IDrive/ 2003 - NY, Oahu & LV/2008 IDrive, Miami, POFQ/2010 - IDrive, POFQ & HRH/ 2010 - NY/2011 - Rome/ 2011 - LV/ 2012 - POFQ & HRH/2013 - DL, Oahu & LA/ 2015 - DLP/ 2015 - DL, LV & LA/ 2016 - POFQ & HRH/2017 DLP/2018 RPR & POR/2019 - NY/2022 - RPR & POR / 2022 - DLP / 2023 - CB & POR / 2023 - DLP / 2024 - CB & POR

Edited at 07:42 PM.
leighlee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 16, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Cha cha
Imagineer

Mobile

Great pics of the animals on the safari.
That was a long wait for the bus from BB to POFQ. I wish they still did buses from watermarks to WDW hotels.
Sounds like you had a super stressed mum next door! 😎
Cha cha is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 Aug 16, 09:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Floridaagogo
Imagineer

Wow you got some awesome photos of the lions
Floridaagogo is offline Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 31 Aug 16, 11:21 AM  
Link to this Post
red cuillen
Excited about Disney

Mobile

LOL. Agree about the lack of manners, noticed that a lot this year (though I am getting old! ). We stayed one night at POFQ and also had a 40 min wait for a bus back - this from MK mid afternoon.
red cuillen is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 20 Sep 16, 08:07 PM  
Link to this Post
leighlee
Getting Excited

Thanks for reading everyone.
Leigh
1997, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005 - IDrive/ 2003 - NY, Oahu & LV/2008 IDrive, Miami, POFQ/2010 - IDrive, POFQ & HRH/ 2010 - NY/2011 - Rome/ 2011 - LV/ 2012 - POFQ & HRH/2013 - DL, Oahu & LA/ 2015 - DLP/ 2015 - DL, LV & LA/ 2016 - POFQ & HRH/2017 DLP/2018 RPR & POR/2019 - NY/2022 - RPR & POR / 2022 - DLP / 2023 - CB & POR / 2023 - DLP / 2024 - CB & POR
leighlee is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 09:26 AM  
Link to this Post
Excitedx4
Imagineer

Excitedx4's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Another great day, you've still got loads of meal credits left!
Excitedx4 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List