Notices
Disney Cruise Line and Other Cruise Planning Cruise Questions and Tips.

Old 21 Jan 17, 07:46 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Best Cruise Lines

We have been lucky to cruise with Disney 3 times (twice on the Dream for 3 nights) and once on the Wonder to Alaska for 7 nights.

We love DCL and we have been spoilt. I love cruising and am happy to try other cruise lines as DCL is very expensive compared to others.

We are really stuck on where to go on holiday this year, whether it is America, Canada or Europe. The only thing is we need to be back for GCSE results.

My husband fancies Norway.

Any suggestions on cruise liners and places to go?

Thanks in advance.
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jan 17, 08:27 PM  
Link to this Post
scarecrow
Imagineer

scarecrow's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 9
Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
We have been lucky to cruise with Disney 3 times (twice on the Dream for 3 nights) and once on the Wonder to Alaska for 7 nights.

We love DCL and we have been spoilt. I love cruising and am happy to try other cruise lines as DCL is very expensive compared to others.

We are really stuck on where to go on holiday this year, whether it is America, Canada or Europe. The only thing is we need to be back for GCSE results.

My husband fancies Norway.

Any suggestions on cruise liners and places to go?

Thanks in advance.
I have cruised DCL and Carnival who are a lot cheaper believe me. I can recommend them, bu they are only sailing in the US this year. I would describe them as being down a level from Disney but I have been with them 3 times now, so that says it all really.

If you want more refined dining then Princess P&O and Celebrity are more akin to Disney, slightly cheaper but not by much.

RCL, NCL and CCL are the lower end of the market and all look really good. I am trying NCL next.

The only lines I don't fancy are P&O too many Brits and too many formal nights, Fred Olsen pensioners over 70 Holland American an older clientele. Oh and Costa and Thompsons. MSC look interesting and I might be tempted to try them next if the price is right.
1990. - somewhere on the 192,2006 - Country Inn and Suites LBK, 2007- LA and San Diego, 2008 - Regal Palms, 2009 - OKW, 2010- Yacht Club, 2011- DCL Magic - Med,2012 - Yacht Club, 2013 - Carnival Sunshine Med cruise, 2014 Carnival Breeze and the Yacht Club

Photo app trip reports Carnival Med Cruise and VA & BA UC & Club indexhttp://http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/reporter-index.php?userid=19933

Pre cruise Med http://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/show...d+cruise+mouse
scarecrow is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 12:51 PM  
Link to this Post
katiec68
Imagineer

katiec68's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

We've done P&O to the fjords. Loved it. It was our first cruise and loved it soon much we've got a Princess cruise booked for Sept- Southampton, Shetland, Iceland, Canada and New York and 2 weeks P&O Caribbean in Jan 18.

We love formal nights but there are also restaurants (buffet) if u don't fancy formal.

P&O can be more British but we met people from all over on our Norway cruise.
Some may say the cheaper end are "too American" and too full on.
My best friend is a TA and is heading to the middle east for a Thomson cruise next week. This is her 5th Thomson cruise- also done others - and says the service is more personal, although the ships are much smaller so activities are limited.

I think "best" cruise line should be "what's the best cruise line FOR ME" as we all want different things.

Katie x

Edited to say that both parents and in inlaws have cruised with Cunard - both loved it however the age group is older and its more refined.
The inlaws have also done Fred Olsen and Holland America - both a much older passenger than P&O etc

K x

Edited at 07:09 PM.
katiec68 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 06:34 PM  
Link to this Post
disney_l81
Very Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by katiec68 View Post
I think "best" cruise line should be "what's the best cruise line FOR ME" as we all want different things.

Katie x
This sums it up for me- We have only ever cruised with RCI and never had any issues, however what suits us doesn't necessarily suit others. We went with RCI for a Fjords cruise last year and loved it, I think they did a later one too- around end of August as we did May half term.
disney_l81 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 06:59 PM  
Link to this Post
phoebe23
Serious Dibber

We started with RCI in 2004 then swapped to sister company Celebrity as we didn't need a family ship being a 50+ couple. Wouldn't hesitate sailing RCI if family were with us but as Chief Babysitters & Childminders at home we stick with the American relaxed adult atmosphere onboard Celebrity. Often babies and toddlers to coo over anyway! We're on 20+ cruises and excellent Captains Club loyalty benefits so they'd seriously have to upset us to change.
Cruising Norway was excellent - great May weather and light till 11pm. We seriously didn't think cruising was for us - but we've loved them all🚢
Still visit Florida for family holidays though☺

Edited at 10:23 AM.
phoebe23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 22 Jan 17, 07:00 PM  
Link to this Post
MrsBC
VIP Dibber

MrsBC's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 11
Restaurant Reviews: 50

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 10
Guidebook Reviews: 1
We've cruised DCL too, but our favourite cruise lines are still Celebrity and Princess.
DCL Magic, DCL Wish
BOOKED - Beach Club Villas Sept '24, Disney Treasure Sept '25
TRIP REPORT INDEX
www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=835984
MrsBC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 02:32 AM  
Link to this Post
Pootle
Very Serious Dibber

Pootle's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 3
I would probably agree with the last poster.

So far I've done 4 Disney, 4 Celebrity, 2 Princess, 2 RCL and a Vikings Oceans. All have been very good in different ways, but on quality and value, I too would opt for Celebrity and Princess for DH and me - but can see why others would make different choices.

Last summer we went with our family on a Disney Magic Med cruise, but for this year, we have Princess booked for half the price. I just hope my 7 year old grandson approves as much as I do

OP, I would keep my eye on the various websites because sometimes good offers come up, even during school holidays.
Old 23 Jan 17, 09:08 PM  
Link to this Post
Imagineer

Thank everyone.

My youngest daughter really fancies Royal Caribbean and the Harmony of the Seas around the Caribbean in August.

Reading the reviews, it sounds very impersonal compared to other cruise lines, probably as it so huge with over 6000 passengers.

Has anyone been on the Harmony or the Allure?

A few people have mentioned Celebrity - what Celebrity ships have you been on?

Has anyone done any of the cruises from New York or Boston?
1972 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 23 Jan 17, 10:56 PM  
Link to this Post
phoebe23
Serious Dibber

Mobile

Originally Posted by 1972 View Post
Thank everyone.

My youngest daughter really fancies Royal Caribbean and the Harmony of the Seas around the Caribbean in August.

Reading the reviews, it sounds very impersonal compared to other cruise lines, probably as it so huge with over 6000 passengers.

Has anyone been on the Harmony or the Allure?

A few people have mentioned Celebrity - what Celebrity ships have you been on?

Has anyone done any of the cruises from New York or Boston?
We've been on Celebrity Reflection - Eclipse - Equinox - Solstice - Silhouette all same class of ship, modern, with best bathrooms at sea ☺
Smaller ships Summit - Millenium - Constellation - Infinity all have a more traditional style.
We've cruised from New York after a City stay to Bermuda for 7 night's - 3 days on the island and 2 sea days either side. Fabulous place!
phoebe23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List