Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Florida Escapes
Unread 16 May 19, 08:52 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Apprentice Imagineer

Telling the children?

When do you tell your children? I usually like the girls to have a bit of time to look forward to a Disney holiday, so weve always told them a few weeks / months in advance of a DLP holiday (with some kind of fun reveal.)

I do have a bit of reveal-regret that we told them about staying in the DLH about an hour before we arrived, when we stopped at an Aire on the way. (They knew about the holiday, but I always wish Id kept the DLH bit a secret right up until the end, and just let them figure it out as we drove up.)

I think thats now colouring my opinion on whether to wait to surprise them with our first WDW holiday, or tell them in advance. (They know we are planning to go, just not when, so theyre still involved in the planning and anticipation.)

How soon (and how) do you tell your children?

Edited at 10:43 PM.
Elodie is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Waiting to make memories in WDW
Unread 16 May 19, 09:45 PM  
Link to this Post
Rac20
Imagineer

How old are the children?

Ive done two reveals- not to Disney world but other holidays and both were really well received but my children like surprises. Some people have done reveals and its fallen really flat and been a bit of an anti-climax!
Id reveal a few weeks before so they have chance to get excited- maybe a month and you could then do a daily countdown? That way its not too long to wait.
I did a letter from Santa for our skiiing holiday at Christmas. That went down well. People do treasure hunts, scratch cards, jigsaw puzzles, just turning up at the airport.
Hope that helps a bit and happy planning!
Unread 16 May 19, 09:47 PM  
Link to this Post
DanniC
Getting Excited

Mobile

On our first trip... we told our boys we were going to Spain, so they were fine with seeing the suitcases out for a while... we posted a letter, which was on the floor one morning, it had instructions to search the house for clues, these clues lead to little balls with jigsaw pieces in them, when they finally collected them all they put the jigsaw together. They looked at me when they finished it and said weve done...😂 I said read what it says... and it surprised them with names... your off to Walt Disney world, they asked when and I said in 1 week... they were so excited.

I filmed it all and its an amazing memory to look back on.

We go next week and my eldest, now 9, still doesnt want to know the exact day we are going so its a little surprise when we wake him early... Even though he knows we are going... 🙄😂

Port Orleans French Quarters April 2017
Coronado Springs here we come May 2019 !
DanniC is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Coronado Springs !
Unread 16 May 19, 10:35 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
How old are the children?

Ive done two reveals- not to Disney world but other holidays and both were really well received but my children like surprises. Some people have done reveals and its fallen really flat and been a bit of an anti-climax!
Id reveal a few weeks before so they have chance to get excited- maybe a month and you could then do a daily countdown? That way its not too long to wait.
I did a letter from Santa for our skiiing holiday at Christmas. That went down well. People do treasure hunts, scratch cards, jigsaw puzzles, just turning up at the airport.
Hope that helps a bit and happy planning!
Theyre 7 and 11, so Im not sure if wed even get away with just turning up at the airport (theyd go to my parents for a sleepover the day before while we pack the car etc, but they could still easily find something out earlier than planned.) It does help that they know we are planning WDW, just not the date, so that explains away most things they might notice.

Weve always done treasure hunts / countdowns / mystery picture clues etc a few weeks before, and their reactions have been priceless. I love watching our first DLP reveal video - the excitement was pure Disney magic.

I would really love to just turn up at the airport, but maybe we should save that last-minute reveal for our next DLP trip. We have done a last-minute reveal for a U.K. holiday that they thought was just a day out, until we arrived and they spotted the cases in the boot!
Unread 16 May 19, 10:40 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by DanniC View Post
On our first trip... we told our boys we were going to Spain, so they were fine with seeing the suitcases out for a while... we posted a letter, which was on the floor one morning, it had instructions to search the house for clues, these clues lead to little balls with jigsaw pieces in them, when they finally collected them all they put the jigsaw together. They looked at me when they finished it and said weve done...😂 I said read what it says... and it surprised them with names... your off to Walt Disney world, they asked when and I said in 1 week... they were so excited.

I filmed it all and its an amazing memory to look back on.

We go next week and my eldest, now 9, still doesnt want to know the exact day we are going so its a little surprise when we wake him early... Even though he knows we are going... 🙄😂
Your reveal sounds amazing, they must have loved that!

I did wonder about telling them weve booked August 2020, not 2021, but keeping the exact date secret. It wont work for us though, as were going the last two weeks of the holidays, so by the time we get to our departure date, theyll have worked out that its got to be then or never. (Plus theyll have spent 4 weeks being disappointed!)

Still dont know what to do!
Unread 17 May 19, 08:47 AM  
Link to this Post
GezzasGem
Imagineer

Mobile

Our DD who is 7 doesn't know we're going back in August yet. We told her maybe when she was 9 we could go again, we last went when she was 4. Really excited about reveal but also a bit unsure whether to do it the day we drive down to Gatwick (staying overnight) or a day or two before- leaning towards the latter so she can help with packing her suitcase (She chose her own in the Tripp sale earlier this year &#128514. Decisions, decisions! Whatever you decide it will be fab 😊
Unread 17 May 19, 06:33 PM  
Link to this Post
Elodie
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by GezzasGem View Post
Our DD who is 7 doesn't know we're going back in August yet. We told her maybe when she was 9 we could go again, we last went when she was 4. Really excited about reveal but also a bit unsure whether to do it the day we drive down to Gatwick (staying overnight) or a day or two before- leaning towards the latter so she can help with packing her suitcase (She chose her own in the Tripp sale earlier this year &#128514. Decisions, decisions! Whatever you decide it will be fab 😊
I think Im starting to lean towards telling ours a little in advance too. I can always save the last minute reveal for a future DLP trip
Unread 17 May 19, 08:49 PM  
Link to this Post
Joshie1
Imagineer

Joshie1's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 1
Restaurant Reviews: 2
We did a reveal for DS on the day of travel when he was 7 but he had already been twice before that.
He loves the planning, working through the countdown calendar. He will be 16 when he and I go as a twosome next year and is already engrossed in YouTubers reports from the parks and CSR.
I wouldnt do a last minute reveal if it is the first trip - maybe give them a few months notice so they have time to get involved in the planning?
Joshie1 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
CSR - May 2020
QuickSilver