Go Back   theDIBB > DIBB Community > DIBBing > General Chat
Forgotten Password?
Notices
General Chat This forum is for general topics and chat type threads.
Orlando Attraction Tickets
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 19 May 19, 11:37 AM  
Link to this Post
#9
Lisa123wm
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Jan 08
Mobile

Originally Posted by Melbatb View Post
My DS was not that enthusiastic about activities between the ages of 12 to 14 - I think it is the age. From 14 onwards he has done running and gym at least 2-3 times a week.

DD rides - about 5 or 6 times a week and competes too so I can never complain about her doing enough stuff
I found this with my youngest son too. Hes 14 now and seems to have found a lot of energy and enthusiasm again. Hes been doing taekwondo for the past 6 years, and this past few months hes starting to really enjoy it again, rather than just plodding along as he had been for a while. Hes now training twice per week (3 hours total), and aiming for his full black belt in the autumn. He helps train the younger/lower belts too and enjoys it all.
He went through a stage of just playing his Xbox/ps etc, but has become much more sociable again and as I said, more active.
He actually got up at 3.30 this morning to go with his dad to walk to the summit of Mt Snowdon. A couple of years ago, he wouldnt have done that.

OP - I hope he is just going through a lull with karate atm, as its such a shame to give up after so long.
__________________
Sept 93 - Orlando, California, Nevada
Aug 94, Jul & Dec 03, Oct 04, Xmas 05, 06, 07 - DLP
Dec 08/Jan 09 - Residence Inn Seaworld, Orlando
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 19, 12:06 PM  
Link to this Post
#10
Smilesonfaces
Imagineer
 
Smilesonfaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 15

Smilesonfaces's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
Mobile

Son was never really into organised activities.He did karate and boys brigade until aged about 10/11. He then just didnt want to do organised activities. I wish now I had encouraged him to go to scouts because I do think it is a great organisation for organising lots of different types of activities.
Daughter will join anything. She did rainbows/ brownies and is now a young leader, swimming but her main pastime is athletics which with competitions takes quite a bit of time.
If he is off to high school this year his friendship group will probably change, new interests may arise from the new school and new friends.
Smilesonfaces is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 19, 12:08 PM  
Link to this Post
#11
Rac20
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
Rac20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 15
Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
I found this with my youngest son too. Hes 14 now and seems to have found a lot of energy and enthusiasm again. Hes been doing taekwondo for the past 6 years, and this past few months hes starting to really enjoy it again, rather than just plodding along as he had been for a while. Hes now training twice per week (3 hours total), and aiming for his full black belt in the autumn. He helps train the younger/lower belts too and enjoys it all.
He went through a stage of just playing his Xbox/ps etc, but has become much more sociable again and as I said, more active.
He actually got up at 3.30 this morning to go with his dad to walk to the summit of Mt Snowdon. A couple of years ago, he wouldnt have done that.

OP - I hope he is just going through a lull with karate atm, as its such a shame to give up after so long.
It sounds like there is hope then that he might come out of this lull that hes in.. I really want him to stick with it.
Well done to your son for getting up at 3:30! Hope hes enjoying himself!
__________________
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our 5th in a lifetime trip!
Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 19, 12:09 PM  
Link to this Post
#12
Bozza
Imagineer
 
Join Date: May 03

Bozza's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 49
Trampolining appeals to many kids of that age, since it's great fun but you can also earn certificates etc for progressing your skills.

My partner's mum is an instructor and runs a club. They don't live locally to us, but whenever we do visit my son goes along to the club and, as someone who is generally pretty chilled about most things, trampolining seems to get him really focussed and he demonstrates real drive to progress.

Maybe find out if you have a local club, as I'm sure they'll do a trial or introductory lesson.
__________________
The DIBB's Bad Dad - abandoned my family to get drunk in Orlando:

Part One
Part Two
Bozza is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Making it up as we go along
Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 19, 12:15 PM  
Link to this Post
#13
liz-paul
slightly serious Dibber
 
Join Date: Sep 15
Location: Northern Ireland
If he's into the PlayStation could you look and see if you have a coder dojo locally? Or some other tech type activity?

My eldest just isn't interested in any sports activities and it's very hard to find other non sport activities.

As others have suggested scouts can be great, or you might have a youth club local to you he could join.
liz-paul is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
California, knows how to party!
Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 19, 12:16 PM  
Link to this Post
#14
jasminedivas
Very Serious Dibber
 
jasminedivas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 06

jasminedivas's Reviews
DIBB Villa Reviews: 1
My Ds is 13 hes been a member of the Scouts since he was 8 and will hopefully go up to Explorers soon. He took up Street Dance when he was 9 and finished that just before Xmas last year, hes now playing basketball for the local team and really loving it. I found with the Street Dance that he just got a bit bored near the end and the enthusiasm was gone, he then asked to stop so we talked about it and decided that was the best option for him and he doesnt regret it at all. Sometimes they just outgrow hobbies.
__________________
Sarah

Comfort Inn LBV Apr 1999, All Star movies May 2003/4/6. Various villa locations 2007/8/9/10/12. Wash DC 31/12/12 1nt, NY 15/02/2014 3nts, LV11/08/14 2nts. Miami, Orlando, IAD & NY Aug 15 23nts
jasminedivas is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
BA fly drive bargain and the Gulf Coast
Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 19, 12:25 PM  
Link to this Post
#15
Lisa123wm
Imagineer
 
Join Date: Jan 08
Mobile

Originally Posted by Rac20 View Post
It sounds like there is hope then that he might come out of this lull that hes in.. I really want him to stick with it.
Well done to your son for getting up at 3:30! Hope hes enjoying himself!
Looks like he has from the pics - they reached the summit at around 8.30 and are on their way home now.

I would have a chat like you mentioned with your sons karate instructor. He may be able to do something or at least have a chat to him himself to see if theres anything in particular he doesnt enjoy etc.
__________________
Sept 93 - Orlando, California, Nevada
Aug 94, Jul & Dec 03, Oct 04, Xmas 05, 06, 07 - DLP
Dec 08/Jan 09 - Residence Inn Seaworld, Orlando
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans Reply With Quote
Unread 19 May 19, 02:35 PM  
Link to this Post
#16
Rac20
Thread Starter
Imagineer
 
Rac20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 15
Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
Trampolining appeals to many kids of that age, since it's great fun but you can also earn certificates etc for progressing your skills.

My partner's mum is an instructor and runs a club. They don't live locally to us, but whenever we do visit my son goes along to the club and, as someone who is generally pretty chilled about most things, trampolining seems to get him really focussed and he demonstrates real drive to progress.

Maybe find out if you have a local club, as I'm sure they'll do a trial or introductory lesson.
There is a trampolining place nearby and I did suggest it to him. Ill look into what they offer. Thanks.☺️
__________________
Rac20 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Gallery Click to view Members Trip Plans
Our 5th in a lifetime trip!
Reply With Quote
Reply
Eat and Play Card

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin - Copyright © 2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

theDIBB Menu


US Dollar Rates
ASDA  $1.2543
CaxtonFX  $1.2385
Covent Garden FX  $1.2523
FAIRFX  $1.2440
John Lewis  $1.2583
M&S  $1.2267
Sainsburys  $1.2519
TESCO  $1.2538
Travelex  $1.2441
Updated: 07:05 26/06/2019

theDIBB Charities
Cancer Research UK
DIBB Members have Donated: £10,130
£


Macmillan Cancer Support
DIBB Members have Donated: £1,085
£

Euro Rates
ASDA  €1.0997
CaxtonFX  €1.0899
Covent Garden FX  €1.0994
FAIRFX  €1.0925
John Lewis  €1.1048
M&S  €1.0740
Sainsburys  €1.0978
TESCO  €1.0997
Travelex  €1.0908
Updated: 07:05 26/06/2019

Orlando Weather
Florida Time
Wed 26th Jun 2:26am
Now: 25C/77F
Clear Sky
Clear Sky
Cloud Cover: 1%
Wind: 5mph - NW Arrow points to where the wind is coming from.
Pressure: 1019mb
Humidity: 83%
Illuminations Smoke
Updated: 06:20 26/06/2019