Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 16 May 19, 04:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Persnicketty
Serious Dibber

Originally Posted by Lucky23 View Post
What does it mean for those ( myself included) that have purchased flights next August - so the part that might be sold?
A lot of variables there so nobody on a holiday forum can say, especially since TC are effectively a charter airline as opposed to a stand alone scheduled airline. (Though that distinction is increasingly blurry nowadays).

The aim of any airline will clearly be to continue operating as seamlessly as possible and growing its business, regardless of who the new owner is. What really matters is an airline not going bust, which in the case of TC is NOT the case, according to Simon Calder and city analysts.

Look at American Airlines, who merged with TWA and that brand vanished. Then merged with US Airlines, but kept the brand name. Do you think any booked passenger noticed?

Similar with Pan-Am, whose routes were divided up across various rivals when they went out of business.

Remember British Caledonian? British Midlands? Air 2000? A dozen others?

Some brand names vanish, some do not. Owners change all the time.
Persnicketty is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 05:33 PM  
Link to this Post
bighal
Imagineer

Originally Posted by myaquarium View Post
I don’t think it’s meant to be spreading doom or gloom. It’s about being prepared for all eventualities. I’m more worried about being stranded in the USA. Especially now that Barclays have told me their insurance won’t even cover repatriation if they went bust in the middle of our holiday.
Take a travel insurance policy that has (scheduled) airline failure in it and you would be covered. Thomas Cook isn't in administration or similar so you would still be covered. But do it sooner than later just in case the worst happens.
Remember insurances with banks are not necessarily the best and yours with Barclays certainly isn't in this case. It sounds like that they don't cover airline failure hence why they wouldn't payout.

Next Trip Feb '24
Jun98 Apr99 Dec99 Apr00 Mar03 Jun/Jul04 Dec/Jan05/06 Jul06 Dec06 Jun/Jul08 Jun/Jul09 Jul/Aug11 Sep13 Jun/Jul14 Nov15 Sep16 Villa/BWV May18 Villa/BLT/AKL Sept19 Villa/AKL Feb/Mar20 AKL/SSR Sep22 AKL Apr/May 23 CS/CC/AKL Nov 23 SSR Feb/Mar 24 RR/BR
bighal is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 06:08 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Regarding airline failure cover. Will this cover the remainder of your holiday. In other words I know they will pay out the flight costs which amount to £700 each. But the Disney accommodation price is £3500. Obviously if no flights we can’t get there so will the airline failure cover pay out on this as well
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 06:11 PM  
Link to this Post
Nimbus
Imagineer

Nimbus's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 8
Restaurant Reviews: 21

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 36
Guidebook Reviews: 2
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Virgin Atlantic have a huge name, and even with large losses, people will still continue to book. Even if VA announced they were in massive trouble, people will still keep booking.
I'm not sure that's true, or at least, no more so than if TC was in trouble.

I think any airline or any tour operator that states they are in massive trouble will cause some people (not all!) to look elsewhere. That's just how people are. If Virgin announced they were in massive trouble would you book a future flight with them?

~ Trip Report Indexes ~
Nimbus is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 06:13 PM  
Link to this Post
kerrie1781
slightly serious Dibber

Mobile

If you have a Halifax Ultimate Reward account the the travel insurance will cover for them going bust! I checked when I booked flights.
kerrie1781 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 06:14 PM  
Link to this Post
myaquarium
Imagineer

Protect my holiday not allowing cover fo Thomas cook at present.
myaquarium is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Heed666 View Post
I also have flights book for September and I'm starting to get a little worried now!

We just have to hope another airline takes them over or, they find the finances they need
Im September as well
mitch-fishguard is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 06:48 PM  
Link to this Post
kathrynmc
Dibbing with Tink

Originally Posted by kerrie1781 View Post
If you have a Halifax Ultimate Reward account the the travel insurance will cover for them going bust! I checked when I booked flights.
I have checked with online chat for the Halifax Ultimate Reward account and they said it would be covered.

I’m thinking of going down this route, although we can’t get insurance yet as we don’t got until August 2020
kathrynmc is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 06:51 PM  
Link to this Post
Lucky23
Excited about Disney

Mobile

Originally Posted by bighal View Post
Take a travel insurance policy that has (scheduled) airline failure in it and you would be covered. Thomas Cook isn't in administration or similar so you would still be covered. But do it sooner than later just in case the worst happens.
Remember insurances with banks are not necessarily the best and yours with Barclays certainly isn't in this case. It sounds like that they don't cover airline failure hence why they wouldn't payout.
We can’t get insurance yet as it’s too far in advance - all of them say the dates need to be within the year
Lucky23 is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 16 May 19, 07:07 PM  
Link to this Post
Quensabob
VIP Dibber

Quensabob's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Guidebook Photos: 13
Originally Posted by mitch-fishguard View Post
Im September as well
They have got the finances to see them through till xt april!hopefully they will have sold the airline by then!we go un september too!

Sunset Ridge Sept2006,Highlands Reserve Sept 2007,Solana Sept 2008,Championsgate March 2010,Courtyard 2011,Clarion Inn June 2013,lakebuena vista resort Sept 2015, Santa Fe Paris Sept 2017,Newport Bay Club Paris March 2018,Clarion inn August 2018,Coronado Springs September 2019, Hotel l’elysee Disneyland Paris March 2020 ,Lake Buena Vista Resort and Spa November2022, Pop Century September 2023
Quensabob is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List