Notices
Trip Planning Florida Florida Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 29 May 19, 09:14 AM  
Link to this Post
sotagals
Imagineer

We've done domestic to international at ATL in 20 minutes.

Virgin have been selling 50 minute transfers for a number of years so there can't be any huge issues with people not making it BUT obviously if you are one of the unlucky ones then you are in for a load of hassle.

When you get off in domestic you need to go down the escalators for the train.
sotagals is online now Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 29 May 19, 03:18 PM  
Link to this Post
sharpers42
Trying for More Ears

Great. Thank you all for your advice and info.
sharpers42 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 1 Jun 19, 10:11 PM  
Link to this Post
wifey
Imagineer

Mobile

We’ve done it both ways, it’s quite easy to navigate and the staff are very friendly there. Because you clear Customs and Immigration there you pick your cases up afterwards and drop them off at the next step before you board the plane train to the terminal you fly out from. We had 2 and a half hours to get through which was plenty we got a meal and stretched our legs before boarding to fly to MCO. Then all we had to do was find the carousel after exiting the plane and going through the check point with our passports stamped in Atlanta. Quickly cross the terminal and exit where the DME desk was to direct us to the relevant bus. Return journey was a little longer due to the borders staff continuously rerouting people before the check points. Once through that it was fine. A quick flight to Atlanta through their terminals and drop the cases off and grab a bite before the flight home. The plane train is easy to use there’s an announcement onboard that tells you which terminal you are approaching next and then again when you arrive it repeats where you are. It moves very quickly so hold on tight!
1998 Comfort Inn LBV, 2000 AS Music, 2002 Spring Hill Suites LLB, 2004 AS Movies, 2005 Comfort Inn LBV& Sequoia Lodge DLRP, 2007 AS Movies. September 2009 Port Orleans French Quarter, Yacht Club August 2013 "Club Level" WL August 2015, CBR Celebrating 26 Years Together October 2017.
wifey is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 02:59 AM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

You would probably fail on an outbound flight.
55 Is plenty on the flight home. you will not see your bags coming home either.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196
cornishfrogboy is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 09:16 AM  
Link to this Post
Pussycat Doll
Imagineer

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 1
My aunt had a 50 minute connection on her return flight last Wednesday. The flight from Orlando took off late. She literally had to run to the gate where they wouldn’t let her board till her wheezy asthma had calmed down. Her luggage is still in Atlanta as I type!
Pussycat Doll is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 09:29 PM  
Link to this Post
Florida-Sarah
Apprentice Imagineer

Florida-Sarah's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
We connected through Atlanta a few years ago and from our experience the outbound leg will be definitely be tight.

The taxi to the stand after landing was long and the immigration hall was without doubt the busiest hall I have ever seen. I’m not over exaggerating when I say there were thousands of people snaked around in the immigration hall and also a queue down the corridor leading to the hall.

Perhaps it was a busy time with lots of flights landing but we waited for an hour just in the immigration queue (and every booth was open.)

Remember that Atlanta is one of / or the biggest hub in the US so lots and lots of people connect there.

You also have to get the plane train to a different terminal to board your connecting flight which is quick but still adds time to tour journey.

There was a couple sat behind us with a 50 minute connection who missed their flight and had to go on standby to get to Orlando. With 2 hours they would have made it, but 50 minutes gave them no chance.

I suppose it really does depend on how many planes land at the same time your does!

WDW: 1992, 1993, 1996, 1998, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 x2, 2017, 2018, 2019 x 2

DCL: Disney Dream 2017, Disney Fantasy 2019
Florida-Sarah is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 10:28 PM  
Link to this Post
DisneyYoda
Imagineer

We had a 90minute connection at Atlanta. Took us 2 hours to get through immigration. Had to wait for another flight. Awful. I’d never go less than 3 hours now. The place is huge too!

That experience really made us think seriously about going direct every time. Either to tampa or orlando.
DisneyYoda is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 2 Jun 19, 10:47 PM  
Link to this Post
ChrisS
Imagineer

Originally Posted by DisneyYoda View Post
We had a 90minute connection at Atlanta. Took us 2 hours to get through immigration. Had to wait for another flight. Awful. I’d never go less than 3 hours now. The place is huge too!

That experience really made us think seriously about going direct every time. Either to tampa or orlando.
Hi Yoda, transitted Atl, Nov 2017, per booking timings but still felt we were pushing our luck. VA late leaving Man, left us 90 mins, how we did it I just don't know, surprisingly so did our single suitcase as security has been in it too! Made our Delta flight to RSW with 8 mins to spare, they were waiting for us, last to board, door closed, began moving afore we were belted in... and breathe!

Last Nov we opted for the 4 hour layover, no rush, much less stress.
Old 2 Jun 19, 11:59 PM  
Link to this Post
disney babe
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by babbymint View Post
I did a few years ago, 55 mins will be tight, Atlanta is a big airport. We had to gather our cases and put them on a new conveyer belt, seem to remember immigration was quick though. Plus if you are running even 20 minutes late you will struggle, BUT Virgin are reponsible for getting you home, even if a later flight. Is it the last flight of the day?
You dont collect bags on way home
I. Drive july 92,DLP 98,99, 02, 04, comfort suites sept 03, southern dunes july 06, westridge july 09, RPR, orange tree, OKW july 12, chatham park, OKW oct 13, RPR, polo park east, AKL, july 14, CBBR, HRH, CBR, disney dream, BCV oct 15, La, Vegas, SF July 16, new york, GFV, CBR, BCV july 17, Miami, Rosen inn, CBBR july 18, LV, Anaheim Oct 18, rosen inn, aventura dec 18, Fl keys, AoA, portofino bay july 19, mirage LV oct 19, rosen inn, pop dec 19, POP, Rosen Inn, POFQ aug 22
disney babe is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 3 Jun 19, 07:20 AM  
Link to this Post
mitch-fishguard
Apprentice Imagineer

Originally Posted by Florida-Sarah View Post
We connected through Atlanta a few years ago and from our experience the outbound leg will be definitely be tight.

The taxi to the stand after landing was long and the immigration hall was without doubt the busiest hall I have ever seen. I’m not over exaggerating when I say there were thousands of people snaked around in the immigration hall and also a queue down the corridor leading to the hall.

Perhaps it was a busy time with lots of flights landing but we waited for an hour just in the immigration queue (and every booth was open.)

Remember that Atlanta is one of / or the biggest hub in the US so lots and lots of people connect there.

You also have to get the plane train to a different terminal to board your connecting flight which is quick but still adds time to tour journey.

There was a couple sat behind us with a 50 minute connection who missed their flight and had to go on standby to get to Orlando. With 2 hours they would have made it, but 50 minutes gave them no chance.

I suppose it really does depend on how many planes land at the same time your does!
Agree. I was in Atlanta 2 weeks ago, only 3 booths open. I was staying in Atlanta but if I was off to Orlando, there was no way I make that flight. You always get to Orlando, mind, if you have a through ticket. Dont put yourself throught the stress. Book 3 hrs at least
mitch-fishguard is online now Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List