Notices
Disneyland California and West Coast Trip Planning Disneyland California and West Coast Holiday Planning Questions, Suggestions and Tips.

Old 4 Jun 19, 06:51 AM  
Link to this Post
jo williams
Very Serious Dibber

San diego

Looking ahead to next year I would like to spend some time in San Diego, I don’t want to be rushing around and want to spend some down time on the beaches as well as seeing the area. I would like to go for 10 nights, I’m looking at getting an air bnb but don’t really know the best area to stay, we will have a car. If anyone can give any advice or think that is too long let me know. I’ve done Disneyland so don’t really want a duel type holiday.
jo williams is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 07:11 AM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Hi

I can't really help with best areas re Airbnb, but we stayed at the Best Western Island Palms on Shelter Island and it's a lovely area

San Diego is a beautiful city and quite compact. We stayed there for 5 nights, but would have been happy to spend longer.

The best advice I can give is to have a look at Aims' sticky thread at the top of the board. Aims ( Amy) is a San Diego resident and has loads of fantastic information on the thread which includes details about the different areas.

Amy usually spots these questions and doubtless will be along later with some excellent insight. (No pressure, Amy. )

Happy planning.

Edited at 07:20 AM.
tocpe321 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 04:46 PM  
Link to this Post
AlexE
Imagineer

AlexE's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 2
Restaurant Reviews: 2
Mobile

agree with above. we will be staying on shelter island it's a great place and would thoroughly recommend the hop on hop off old town trolley it's a great insight to a fab city. they also do combined tours with the zoo and la jolla.
Old 4 Jun 19, 08:24 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Originally Posted by tocpe321 View Post
Amy usually spots these questions and doubtless will be along later with some excellent insight. (No pressure, Amy. )

Oh no, there's never any pressure from you TC...until you offer that my insight will be "excellent"... Ok...not much pressure there!

Hey Jo I'm sure a lot of people will feel that 10 days is too long to spend in San Diego. I think it is doable since you made a point that you want a relaxing visit with some beach days thrown in. Ten days will certainly allow for a relaxing pace with a couple of beach days and still leave plenty of time for sightseeing. You could also add in a couple of short drives to visit some nearby areas like La Jolla, or take a drive up into the mountains and visit the small town of Julian. In case you decide to combine San Diego with another city visit, 7 days is still a good amount of time to cover San Diego and fit in a beach day or two. As tocpe mentioned, San Diego is a compact city and all the attractions are located within an easy drive of each other. There are a few attractions that you can do in the same day, while other sights like the Zoo and Sea World would need more of a full day.

Best areas to stay whether in an Airbnb or a hotel, would be some of the central locations such as Point Loma (where Shelter Island is and the Best Western Palms hotel), Liberty Station neighborhood, Mission Valley, the Old Town area, and Mission Bay. I would avoid staying in a hotel or Airbnb right on the beach in Mission Beach or Pacific Beach, unless you don't mind a lot of noise and foot traffic. Those two beaches draw a large, university age crowd and the beach nightlife goes a bit late. Mission Bay is right by those beaches, and if you find an Airbnb in that area that interests you, look for one that says it is on the bayside. While still a busy area, it tends to be a little quieter on the bayside than on the beachfront side. The most expensive areas to stay will be downtown in the city center and in the beachfront properties. I didn't see any dates when you are thinking of coming out, but summer is always the most expensive time of year to visit San Diego, especially around the week of Comic Con (which is usually around mid-late July).

If you have any questions regarding a promising Airbnb or hotel, please feel free to show me the listing and I will give you my opinion of the location if you like. I'd be happy to help with any itinerary questions too, however long you decide to stay in San Diego. You could post any questions on my San Diego sticky thread or private message me.

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho... php?t=1047941
Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 08:39 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Originally Posted by Aims View Post
Oh no, there's never any pressure from you TC...until you offer that my insight will be "excellent"... Ok...not much pressure there!

Hi Amy.

Hope you're well

TC
Old 4 Jun 19, 08:44 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Hi Amy.

Hope you're well

TC

I'm doing good, TC- hope you are, too! Your holiday is getting close, I see- certainly something to look forward to!

Planning a trip to San Diego? Check out my San Diego planning guide at the link below:

Aims is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 4 Jun 19, 08:59 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

I'm doing good, TC- hope you are, too! Your holiday is getting close, I see- certainly something to look forward to!
Definitely getting excited, Amy

Are you getting away?

TC
Old 4 Jun 19, 09:37 PM  
Link to this Post
Aims
Imagineer

Are you getting away?

Not this year, TC. I will just have to be happy being stuck in San Diego all year, I guess. Feel sorry for me?

Old 4 Jun 19, 09:49 PM  
Link to this Post
tocpe321
VIP Dibber

Not this year, TC. I will just have to be happy being stuck in San Diego all year, I guess. Feel sorry for me?

Wonderful climate, beautiful beaches and friendly people. I'm jealous now.

Old 4 Jun 19, 10:01 PM  
Link to this Post
cornishfrogboy
VIP Dibber

As with all of the above really, and you are in very safe hands with the awesomely helpful 'Aims'. Last Easter, we stayed in an Airbnb on Mission Beach. That was a mistake, but not a huge one and on a future visit (there will be one), I would suggest that the centre of the City around Seaport is absolutely wonderful. I do not generally like cities, but fell in love with this one.

I could easily base a fortnight around San Diego as there is simply so much to see and do. After 5 days, we felt that we had planned far too short a stay and with hindsight would have aimed at.. 10!

My trip report 'California N to South at Easter hopefully covers those 5 days reasonably well and you will find that we did a few things that were outside of the usual tourist 'must do's'.

Balboa park was under explored by us.
Leathernecks museum was not visited.
Coronado beach was not visited.
Oceanside needed more time.
La Jolla likewise.

Must do's
Zoo.
Kansas city bar and grill (Topgun bar)
USS Midway
Horse riding in the sea (see trip report)
Harbour cruises (both)
Whale watching cruise (if you have never done one)

Dammit! I gotta go back! The most wonderful modern city in the world that I have yet visited.

2005 onwards.. lots of times!

Index of all my Trip and Pretrip reports..https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/sho...6#post15662196

Edited at 10:06 PM.
cornishfrogboy is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List