Notices
Disneyland Paris Trip Planning Disneyland Paris Holiday Planning Questions and Tips.

Old 19 Jul 19, 12:54 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWGunner25
slightly serious Dibber

WDWGunner25's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 1
WDW veteran - DLP Newbies

Hi all,

So whilst my wife and I are WDW vets (met there, worked there, married there etc etc) we decided this year we would give DLP a shot, and are going in a couple of days for 5 days.

My wife has been twice before, however we are talking once when the place was new and she was 8 and once for 2 days at least 6/7 years ago and it was very rushed. I personally have never been, as to be honest it hasn’t appealed

We will be staying at Newport Bay, we have half board dining plan (have called up and booked our buffets) and are doing the VIP Lion King show on Wednesday for her birthday.

I’ve applied out WDW planning knowledge as well as I can, in terms of what to pack, watching Youtubers etc, however my question is, do any of you guys have any tips or tricks you wish you knew before your first visit. For example we know not to drink the water and take our own - stuff like that, that would just make the experience a little more smooth.

Or as smooth as it can be on the first week of the school holidays in 35 plus degree heat!

Many thanks

Holidays : Calypso Cay Amerisuites - June 2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jan 2008 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista - Oct 2008 Howard Johnson Tropical Palms- June 2012 Ros and Jim's Villa - Oct 2013 All Star Sports - January 2014 Yacht Club Resort - October 2018
WDWGunner25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

I have to say, I've never had a problem with the water at DLP for drinking - there are fountains dotted about both parks.

What I'd say about DLP is - stop and look around you, the main Disneyland park is beautiful .
With the potential of 35 degree heat I'd say plan to get up and into the parks early morning, head back to your hotel in the afternoon for a rest/swim, and then go back into the parks in the evenings when it should be a little cooler.
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 01:03 PM  
Link to this Post

Out of interest why do you mention about the water? The tap water at DLP (and across France) is totally fine to drink. There are water fountains across both parks for re-filling bottles and it will save you a stack of cash versus buying bottled water .

Hope you have a fab trip, it sounds like you are pretty organised! I would say take your swimming things - with 5 days and long park opening hours you should be able to find the time for a couple of hours around the pool (maybe take some time out during the afternoon and head back into the park once the parade finishes and the crowds thin out a bit). It will help slow down the hectic days!
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 01:08 PM  
Link to this Post
WDWGunner25
slightly serious Dibber

WDWGunner25's Reviews
Thanks, The early start and break in the day for a swim is our Orlando technique so hoping it will transfer well.

Regarding the water, every person who we have spoken to so far, has warned us about it, saying that it makes a lot of Brits sick as we aren’t used to something about it (I can’t remember what) so buy bottled water from supermarket one stop away from the park by train. I’ll double check but interesting to hear that you find it fine!

Holidays : Calypso Cay Amerisuites - June 2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jan 2008 Comfort Inn Lake Buena Vista - Oct 2008 Howard Johnson Tropical Palms- June 2012 Ros and Jim's Villa - Oct 2013 All Star Sports - January 2014 Yacht Club Resort - October 2018
WDWGunner25 is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 01:33 PM  
Link to this Post
sammykitten
Imagineer

honestly, my 3 kids and I were fine drinking the water from the fountains at DLP (in July, in 30-degree heat each day).
sammykitten is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:04 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
Mobile

My biggest tip is to leave WDW and it's associated tactics and planning at home.

At DLP, use EMT and you'll get the big draw rides done before everyone else comes in. Then use Fastpasses for the rest of the day (remember DLP still uses the good old paper Fastpass system). The parks are much smaller and closer together so the need to plan the living bejeezus out of everything is not really there.

If you have any sort of MasterCard, visit Guest Services in either park and request priority seating for Mickey & the Magician Show (the show is free, but seats can go quickly at peak times).

Don't bother with the DLP Photopass unless you really think you're going to get value from it (about 70 euros IIRC)

Enjoy / s'amuser ensemble!

Before hitting that "Submit Post" button, re-read what you've typed and consider:
Is it true?
Is it kind?
Is it helpful?
Is it necessary?
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:06 PM  
Link to this Post
blusteryday
Imagineer

blusteryday's Reviews
Restaurant Reviews: 2

theDIBB Guidebook
Pages Created: 12
Guidebook Photos: 8
And I've never heard or experienced any issues with the water in France 🤷
blusteryday is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 19 Jul 19, 02:55 PM  
Link to this Post
Mickey's Magic
Excited about Disney

Mickey's Magic's Reviews
Hotel Reviews: 4
My advice is totally take WDW out of your mind as they really are 2 completely different experiences. DLP is lovely, well themed but also so much smaller which means you can get around everywhere so much easier.

Make use use of the EMH - unlike WDW where the parks are heaving on EMH days, you can normally get a lot done at DLP. Head for BTM and grab a fastpass in Disneyland Park. At Studios Park head straight for Crush Coaster as this doesn't have Fast Pass (it does have single rider) and gets really busy. Try and get an early fast pass for Ratatouille as that is popular.

Try to buy drinks etc from the station supermarket located just by Disney Village this will save you £££s compared to the prices in the parks!

Can't comment on the water as try to avoid drinking tap water anywhere other than the UK anyway.

DLP: 1997 (Cheyenne), 2013 (Offsite; Dream Castle), 2017 (Newport Bay), 2019 (Sequoia Lodge)
Mickey's Magic is offline Boy Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 09:16 PM  
Link to this Post
Lisa123wm
Imagineer

Mobile

Regarding swimming - men have to wear Speedo type trunks, not shorts from memory 🤔
Aug/Sept 09, Jan/Feb 10 - DLP, Aug 13 - NPBC DLP
Lisa123wm is offline Girl Mouse Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List
Old 21 Jul 19, 09:35 PM  
Link to this Post

Mobile

Originally Posted by Lisa123wm View Post
Regarding swimming - men have to wear Speedo type trunks, not shorts from memory 🤔
That rule doesn’t apply to the onsite Disney hotels.
Click to view Members Trip Plans Add Member to Ignore List